+ Reply to Thread

Default Diffuse thinning

I think i have the beginning stages of diffuse thinning, the top of my head is beginning to visably thin out and i can see more of my scalp esp in bright light or when my hair is wet. Its only on the top of my head and alot of the time you cannot tell its thinning at all. I took fin. but was exp. negative side effects and was wondering does the hair usually continue to thin until its gone or can it reach a certain "thinness" and just stay like that? Also with diffuse thinning when would be the best time for a transplant, when the hair is almost all gone or can you get one when u still have hair but its just so thin? Btw im 28.

I also have more of a diffuse style of MPB. I would strongly suggest you stay on some kind of medication. What types of sides were you experiencing? Also get on Amazon and buy some Revita Shampoo ASAP. It's has the same active ingredient as nizoral but is much more gentle on the hair and scalp. If you stay on Meds and other things (pm me if you want some advice on diet and supplements) you can maintain and regrow a bunch of hair. I had a transplant in April of 2010 of 1500 units and if you saw me today I bet you would not even know I have MPB. So there is hope dude!

I'm in the same boat as you guys it looks like...also experiencing diffuse thinning all over the top of my head. My hairline has barely recessed at all. I'm closing in on my fourth month on Propecia (just switched to generic), and just started on minox a few weeks ago. I'm in the middle of a pretty fearsome shed due to the Rogaine, and haven't noticed any positive benefites yet from the finasteride.

I've decided to stick it out no matter what, though or I know I'll kick myself later. I would be interested in any tips that you have regarding diet and supplements. Also, what experience did you have in your response to minox and finasteride.

I have been using Nioxin for quite some time now and I am not sure if it is helping really its hard to tell. I took fin. for about 6 months and started experiencing some side effects such as loss of libido and softer erections which of coarse scared me to death so I stopped taking it and began taking saw palmetto. I think the fin. was working though which really sucks that I had to stop taking it. I guess I am creeping up on that age where the sex drive may start to slow anyway but I could def. feel and see something not good was happeneing. Anyway I have been looking it to getting some Revita and see what that does for me. I think by the time im 35-40 I will probably have to get a transplant because I just dont see my hair lasting past 40.

Hairlossblows- I can def. use some advice and also with your 1500 unit transplant, how far along were you with your MPB? 1500 Doesnt seem like very many. Do you have any pre and post op pics?

Quote Originally Posted by sch89 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you guys it looks like...also experiencing diffuse thinning all over the top of my head. My hairline has barely recessed at all. I'm closing in on my fourth month on Propecia (just switched to generic), and just started on minox a few weeks ago. I'm in the middle of a pretty fearsome shed due to the Rogaine, and haven't noticed any positive benefites yet from the finasteride.

I've decided to stick it out no matter what, though or I know I'll kick myself later. I would be interested in any tips that you have regarding diet and supplements. Also, what experience did you have in your response to minox and finasteride.
    Quote Originally Posted by brownd355 View Post
    I have been using Nioxin for quite some time now and I am not sure if it is helping really its hard to tell. I took fin. for about 6 months and started experiencing some side effects such as loss of libido and softer erections which of coarse scared me to death so I stopped taking it and began taking saw palmetto. I think the fin. was working though which really sucks that I had to stop taking it. I guess I am creeping up on that age where the sex drive may start to slow anyway but I could def. feel and see something not good was happeneing. Anyway I have been looking it to getting some Revita and see what that does for me. I think by the time im 35-40 I will probably have to get a transplant because I just dont see my hair lasting past 40.

Hairlossblows- I can def. use some advice and also with your 1500 unit transplant, how far along were you with your MPB? 1500 Doesnt seem like very many. Do you have any pre and post op pics?
    sch89 in regards to the minox and fin question I have had great results with fin. I buy generic proscar 5mg tabs and break them into 1mg tabs which is the exact same thing a propecia. It only costs me $15.00 for 5 months of daily use. I strongly suggest you do this as well as it will save you a fortune. In regards to minox I'm not a fan at all for three reasons
    1. Most important- IMHO I don't think it works that well
    2. If you start taking it and decide to stop you will shed a lot of hair and that loss can be permanent
    3. And for bang for the buck it's too expensive

brownd355 stop buying nioxin!! It is a nice shampoo but will do absolutely nothing in regards to hair loss. The only shampoos that have any effect on hair loss are ones that have the active ingredient ketoconazole. You can find this in nizoral and revita. ketoconazole rocks because it will help to remove dht from the scalp. And I strongly suggest you give proscar a second run. There are things that you can that will make your body healthy and strong so that you will not experience any erection or libido problems. A LOT of men suffer from hormonal imbalances and don't even know it. You might want to get a full blood panel done to check you test levels as well as you DHT, and estrogen levels. At 28 you should be having no libido problems ever!! I'm almost 31 and I'm as horny as I was at 18 and I have been taking fin for 4 years

In regards to your question about the transplant when I went for my initial consultation with Dr. BL Limmer (who invented FUE by the way) in 2008 my hair was in pretty bad shape. Dr. Limmer being the great dude that he told me to hold off and gave me a great regiment of things to do in order to help my hair. I worked his process and my own in regards to diet and supplements (which I will get to in a minute) and regrew and created a lot more thickness in my hair. When I went back in 2010 to consult again the nurse even commented that my hair was a lot fuller. When my transplant took place in 2010 I had a pretty good thin spot on the rear left of my crown and some definite loss up the mid vertex and in the front. They did a superb job of distributing those units and my hair looks really good now. You can still tell it's a bit thin when it's wet but when it's dry and fixed you would not think that I have hair loss.

In regards to diet and supplements these are just my opinions and what works for me so take it all with a grain of salt. We all know that DHT is the main culprit in MPB. But I also believe that there is also an inflammation component as well. And there are certain foods that are known to cause the human body to go out of wack in regards to inflammation. Sugar is #1. I eat little to no sugar at all. Sugar is as addictive as drugs to a lot of people and can cause serious problems such as weight gain and insulin sensitivity. #2 is grains that contain the protein gluten. Most people are gluten sensitive to some degree. Gluten inflames the lining of the gut wall and cause symptoms such as gas, bloating and fatigue and other worse symptoms in those that are highly sensitive. #3 Trans Fatty acids- This is anything that has the words partially hydrogenated before a type of fat. #4 Artificial sweetners or color. This stuff should be illegal or at least come with some kind of warning label. This shit is up there with cigarettes.

So I eat a diet that is high in protein and good fats, low in carbs, and I never eat any of that crap listed above. I drink nothing but very clean water 99% of the time. As far as supplements I take fish and coconut oils, vitamin D3, biotin(which is great for hair and nails), Curcumin, and green tea extract. All of these accept the biotin are very anti-inflammatory.

I also hit the weights 3-4 times per week and do a little cardio 2x per week.

Thanks for the great response! Could you give a little more detail on what the regimen was that the doctor gave you? What was his process that you mentioned in the previous post?

Quote Originally Posted by sch89 View Post
    Thanks for the great response! Could you give a little more detail on what the regimen was that the doctor gave you? What was his process that you mentioned in the previous post?
    He told me to stay on the fin and gave me the proscar script to save me money. He also turned me onto nizoral shampoo but I chose to switch to revita because it has the same active ingredients (and them some) and he also wrote me a script for dut. Now IMHO and I have heard Spencer say this on his show Dut should only be used as a last resort if fin is not working. The doctor also recommended minox but I already stated my opinion on that one. The rest I learned from experimenting on myself and also picked up a lot of good tips from http://hairloss-research.org Another great product that I forgot to mention is toppik. I used this stuff a lot when my transplant was growing in and it really is a very kick ass product for creating the appearance of a thicker head of hair