+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What if a Cure Never Comes?

It is interesting that a hair loss cure has not been developed. Sometimes I wonder why, because of the money that could be made. There are many millionaire investors (some of whom are bald), so why has there not been a more serious attempt at funding research? I cannot think of many cosmetic 'products' that could make millions, if not billions of dollars over the course of time.

By nature, I am a somewhat skeptical individual. I am aware that a fool proof, real cure is a possibility; however, there seems to be a lack of interested (or motivated) investors who are willing to step up and poor capital into the fight.

The question then becomes: what if a cure is never realized? What will hair loss sufferers do? Will you be able to find a way to function, be happy and live life to the fullest? It seems as though hoping - by clutching the thin rope of hope may be unhealthy, or perhaps unrealistic. Hope is good - but at what point does one realize that the 'dream' may never come, and finding a way to accept it and move on is the best thing to do?

pour, not poor. Boy, my typing skills are bad. Hehe.

the cure never came for those who were born in the early 20th century. it's a cycle. if you can 'move on' after having realized that a cure is just a mere 'dream' then you're not the type to be depressed by hair loss to begin with. if you feel like crap waiting and hoping then you're the type to feel like crap moving on with life after having realized cure will never come.

you can pour 200 billion dollars into hair loss research and STILL come out empty handed. that's a huge risk for any potential investors. the smart thing to do is make small investments here and there for researchers to play around with different ideas until they stumble into something promising. that's what's happening right now with histogen, aderans etc. no one is going to down $20 billion dollar into hair loss cure and have someone else reverse engineer their product and reap all the benefit for nothing.

You know, there are so many illnesses that have not yet been cured that by general consensus are considered 'more important' to solve. A lot of people that have those ask the same question.

People have that fallacy that right now we're somehow extremely advanced and every problem should be solved by now. Unfortunately it's simply not true (or maybe it's better to have some stuff you can solve).

As for now you're well aware of your options. You can either try to 'forget' it, you can wait for the cure or become a scientist.

Actually becoming a scientist would be a good option. If you was really serious about finding the cure, working really really hard on the research then trust me - you would also forget about your hair loss, haha :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    the cure never came for those who were born in the early 20th century. it's a cycle. if you can 'move on' after having realized that a cure is just a mere 'dream' then you're not the type to be depressed by hair loss to begin with. if you feel like crap waiting and hoping then you're the type to feel like crap moving on with life after having realized cure will never come..
    I think during the early part of the 20th century the world had more pressing matters to deal with.

Inactive

First of all hair loss is considered a cosmetical issue and not a life threatening. And we should be glad that stemm cells etc could work beneficial on hair loss because otherwise there wouldnt be a solution.

Also it has finally come to the attention that tissue engineering is an essential key for a solution, whil a few years ago people still believed that non visible hair is gone for good.

Dont get me wrong here, but its higher likeable that we will get a solution to hair loss rather then for cancer..... which is somehow good but in a long run a sad fact

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    I think during the early part of the 20th century the world had more pressing matters to deal with.
    i wrote those who were born in the early 20th century, not that it really matters. why 'pressing matters' for the world as a whole (not really) would relieve personal suffering is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    First of all hair loss is considered a cosmetical issue and not a life threatening. And we should be glad that stemm cells etc could work beneficial on hair loss because otherwise there wouldnt be a solution.

Also it has finally come to the attention that tissue engineering is an essential key for a solution, whil a few years ago people still believed that non visible hair is gone for good.

Dont get me wrong here, but its higher likeable that we will get a solution to hair loss rather then for cancer..... which is somehow good but in a long run a sad fact
    With that attitude, we'll never get anywhere near a hair loss cure.

What if a cure never comes? Why then we'll all be slick bald.

Joking aside, I'm sure it will happen one day but it's not exactly the most noble avenue for medical research or funding. Sure it would be a big money maker but there's far more important problems to tackle first. Cancer, AIDS, ALS, Alzheimers, Cardiac disease, Diabetes, etc.

Now I don't consider a cure for hair loss a vain pursuit. It's very different to other cosmetic surgeries because it's giving you back what you had for 20, 30, 40 years of your life. If your teeth got knocked out or your nose flattened I'd imagine you'd want them fixed so it's the same with hair to a certain degree.

The hair restoration industry needs Dr. Anthony Atala to give it a kick up the arse and show them how it's done. He'll have grown every organ in the body in a lab by the time the hair restoration industry manage to get hair cloning down. I realise he gets huge funding but Atala is a genius. Have a look at what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    What if a cure never comes? Why then we'll all be slick bald.

Joking aside, I'm sure it will happen one day but it's not exactly the most noble avenue for medical research or funding. Sure it would be a big money maker but there's far more important problems to tackle first. Cancer, AIDS, ALS, Alzheimers, Cardiac disease, Diabetes, etc.

Now I don't consider a cure for hair loss a vain pursuit. It's very different to other cosmetic surgeries because it's giving you back what you had for 20, 30, 40 years of your life. If your teeth got knocked out or your nose flattened I'd imagine you'd want them fixed so it's the same with hair to a certain degree.
    The hair restoration industry needs Dr. Anthony Atala to give it a kick up the arse and show them how it's done. He'll have grown every organ in the body in
    a lab by the time the hair restoration industry manage to get hair cloning down. I realise he gets huge funding but Atala is a genius. Have a look at what he's doing.

If only he was bald, maybe he would jump in with us haha.