+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Legit clinic in Colorado?

I went to the Colorado Hair Institute in Lone Tree Colorado (Denver Suburb) and am questioning the legitimacy of this clinic. I talked to Chris McTyre (Director) and he seemed to have all of the right answers such as: lateral slit technique with customized blades, Follicular Unit Extraction or Strip Extraction, Trichophytic Closure, Single hair placement at hair line, etc. I noticed that his business card didn't list him as a Dr. when he mentioned a winter special of 2$ a FU I became suspicious.
    Does anyone out there know anything about this person or clinic?
    The Medical Director is listed as Laura Darby M.D.
    I couldn't find much info online.

Bill

hey Billrupp, have you tried Dr. James Harris, he is listed as one the members of IAHRS. He is in Greenwood Village, CO .

I have an appointment with him in July, called last week. I think its best if you consider all your options.

I've been using Propecia and/or Avodart for about seven years. I've been using Rogaine for about ten years...I've also used a product called Spectral DNC instead of Rogaine, and in my experience it has worked better, but it really stains your pillow.

All the products I have used work, but these things work differently in my opinion. Rogaine seems to grow hair in the back (think of grass growing more in the spots it already is), but it doesn't seem to halt the balding process...Propecia seems to halt the balding.

I've noticed a reduction in sex drive, which I believe, but I'm still doing alright. For me, it was more that I didn't want to have sex every day...more like just twice or three times a week. Taking aphrodisiacs like ginseng and horny goat weed helped me with that, especially given relationship issues...the aphrodisiacs also seemed to improve my mood a bit...but that's just my perspective/opinion. Before Propecia, I took Saw Plameto, and could not notice any sexual side effects.

I'd definitely stay in touch with your doctor about whatever you do...and how it affects your body...that's what doctor's are there for...advice AND medical help.

In my honest opinion, one of the stupidest things people do is avoid the doctor's office in favor of message boards...it there is one thing people should not skimp on, it's their health...if there's one thing that requires REAL expertise, it's health & medical care. That said, I do think there is a value to anecdotal and ordinary person perspectives...but they are not even in the same league as good medical advice. The background knowledge of doctors is immense, and it could clear up 1,000 dead ends in a mere second...before one goes down false and costly rabbit holes. Also, some people on message boards simply like to put their "hopes and dreams" in print when they give "advice"...supposedly with the hope that what they wish for will then be more real. For the life of me, I don't understand why people are so determined to avoid doctors so much...is it to save money? Nuts!

Well, best of luck man with your procedure...have a great one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rupi View Post
    @ Tired_of_the_BS, that is good observation man .. ha

Also if you dont mind me asking, as you said you have tried Propecia and Rogaine for years. How long exactly have you been using ? Did it worked for you, any complains ?

I have a appointment with Dr Fellar in NY, next week. I am sure he is going to subscribe those to me. Just trying to gather some facts.

Quote Originally Posted by jyw View Post

Bill

Can anyone answer the question? What is his/her name? is it a real name?
    Dr. Laura is a real person, and her name is Laura Darby, M.D. She is a real Medical Doctor too, so yes, the name is real by all conceivable accounts. She was the person who did my procedure....and then she sold me some dermatological supplies, so yes, I know she exists...she's also rumored to do wine tastings in the Denver area.

Does that help?

Anyway, after reading your question, it dawned on me that you might think Chris McTyre was pretending to be Laura Darby, that he had the name of a "phantom" on the door, or something along those lines...not the case at all, they are two different folks, and work different schedules as far as I can tell...at least that's been my experience.

any details on your procedure Tired_of_the_BS?

pics...etc?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I do know that Dr. James Harris is in the Denver area a nd does exceptional work. He performs FUT and is also known as one of the finest FUE doctors. It is always a good idea to get a few opinions. The more informed you are the better chance your expectations will match the results.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Okay, first they stuck a hot poker in my backdoor, and then they made me sing the U.S.S.R. National Anthem.

Okay, seriously: attached are some pictures of three days out and ten days out.

I'm currently in the pimple/ingrown hair stage, but my friends who have had HT elsewhere are liking it a lot...me too.

I'll post again in a few months, with progress, but it's 2:00 A.M. now, and I have a life. I feel a duty to pass on what I learn so that others can avoid hardship...it's like that too in my law practice, but that only goes so far...hair restoration, as a subject matter, is not my passion or my hobby.

Good luck amigo, and take care.

p.s. If you pull my posts you'll see a few hints I throw out there...at least I think they're good, and they might help you avoid some pain. As this isn't my hobby, I don't want to get in the habit of wasting a lot of my time answering questions or hashing things out over and over again...just don't...spent some years in NYC, and it seems we lose our patience for that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fitness-man View Post
    any details on your procedure Tired_of_the_BS?

pics...etc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3 days after.jpg

Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	10045  
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by billruppp View Post
    I went to the Colorado Hair Institute in Lone Tree Colorado (Denver Suburb) and am questioning the legitimacy of this clinic. I talked to Chris McTyre (Director) and he seemed to have all of the right answers such as: lateral slit technique with customized blades, Follicular Unit Extraction or Strip Extraction, Trichophytic Closure, Single hair placement at hair line, etc. I noticed that his business card didn't list him as a Dr. when he mentioned a winter special of 2$ a FU I became suspicious.

Bill

I have visited this clinic and met with Chris, very likable guy, However I think he's a polished salesman. Doctor never met with me and I think Chris high balls the number of grafts you need to justify their marketed $2 per graft fee. Had 4 opinions by top doctors and CHI was 1000 grafts higher then the others. Don't know anything about the quality of there work.But because of the above reason I decided not to use them
    Last edited by simpleplan007; 04-28-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jyw View Post
    Legit clinic in Colorado?

Bill

Can anyone answer the question? What is his/her name? is it a real name?
    I just went to their site is this is EXACTLY the same thing I was freaking about.

If this keeps up, it wont be $2 for very long.

Why?

All of the techniques are sound. All of the patient testimonies are great. The clinic has no lawsuits against it. No mad rush of complaint anywhere that I have seen on the blogs.

So whats the problem? The price. Its TOO LOW to believe is legit.

The doctors are going to have to RAISE the price to get any business. LOL.

spoke to Chris at length today. Showed him shots of my head at 3 months. He is big on finasteride and biotin. He says I am a 3a , which only 10% of us are.

Thin on the top but the crown holding on. I showed him my Dr Pizarro 1333 graft HT i had in November and he suggest waiting 6 months before making any judgments.

I was prepared to do a final huge 5000 graft FUT to 'dense pack' my Norwood 3 to match the rest of my thick hair.

At $2 per graft, its 10k but there would be no doubt I would be finished as long as the finasteride maintained my DHT vulnerable hair.

So what does Chris say?

He tells me I only need 2500 grafts to accomplish what I want and would even pay my airfare out there. 5000 is way too many.

What kind of scam artist refuses more money ?

He also told me I need to wait, and not rush out to Colorado. Update him at 6 months, and then consider it at 9 to 12 months.

Slick salesman or not, I trust my judgement and I believe him. I think these guys own their own building and their overhead is so minimal , no student loans to repay for their medical degrees.

Now, this is for a FUT , not a FUE which I would guess would be higher than $2 .

I am going to go for it in November.