Thread: Undiagnosed

Threaded View

Unhappy Undiagnosed

I have been having trouble with my scalp/hair for about 14 years. I have very thick hair so it has not been very noticable until now. I get nodules/bumps on the top of my head which hurt and itch. These get so painful that I have pulled out a lot of my hair. These seem to be very deep pimples which do not drain unless the hair is out. I have circular bald patches right now which look like they are filling back in. I have been to many dermatologists, an endoctrinologist, internist. No one seems to have a treatment that works. They think it is acne. I am very clean and wash my hair at least once per day but had cystic acne on my face only when I was younger. I used acutane. The only thing that came close to working on my scalp was a steroid cream that one dermatologist prescribed. It left me with open, bald hole-like areas filled with pus which eventually healed. I also have a chronic sore throat and sore ear only on my right side. I can not help but think that there is something else wrong. I have been tested for Lupus, as well as bacterial and fungal infections. The dermatologist says that all the tests came back negative. She thinks it is acne and that I am somewhat intollerant to antibiotics due to long-term use of tetracycline for acne when I was younger. Do these symptoms sound like anything you have heard of? I think I will end up losing a lot of hair permanently.