+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Recommendations for covering/fillers/toppers?

I was talking with my hairstylist about something to cover my scalp as the thin spots contrast strongly with my dark hair. I mentioned Toppek and other possibilities, but she recommended against Toppek and against Dermatch, saying that they might block hair follicles and make my hair loss worse.

So what do folks recommend for coverage? I can't wear a scarf or a hat at work every day, and I have to do *something* at this point. I don't want anything that I have to clip to my hair as I tried hair extensions and my hair's too fine (and I'm not talented at hairdressing either).

Can anyone help? I'm feeling very frustrated and vulnerable now. My hair loss is just behind my bangs and has given me a wider part and visible scalp all across the front of my crown.

Thanks all,

Desideria

Quote Originally Posted by Desideria View Post
    I was talking with my hairstylist about something to cover my scalp as the thin spots contrast strongly with my dark hair. I mentioned Toppek and other possibilities, but she recommended against Toppek and against Dermatch, saying that they might block hair follicles and make my hair loss worse.

So what do folks recommend for coverage? I can't wear a scarf or a hat at work every day, and I have to do *something* at this point. I don't want anything that I have to clip to my hair as I tried hair extensions and my hair's too fine (and I'm not talented at hairdressing either).

Can anyone help? I'm feeling very frustrated and vulnerable now. My hair loss is just behind my bangs and has given me a wider part and visible scalp all across the front of my crown.

Thanks all,

Desideria
    Hi Desideria,

The good news is that YOU CAN NOT BLOCK HAIR FOLLICLES using these types of cosmetic consealers. The notion that “clogged” are hair follicles somehow responsible for hair loss was once the cornerstone of the snake oil industry. Many snakeoilers still make these preposterous claims. Healthy hair comes from the inside out, and unless you cover your scalp with concrete or perhaps superglue, hair growth will not be inhibited in any way.

These are very good products that allow many hair loss sufferers to face the world with confidence. I am one of these hair loss sufferers, and wound not use these products if they were harmful in anyway.

Hope this helps!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Hi Desideria,

The good news is that YOU CAN NOT BLOCK HAIR FOLLICLES using these types of cosmetic consealers. The notion that “clogged” are hair follicles somehow responsible for hair loss was once the cornerstone of the snake oil industry. Many snakeoilers still make these preposterous claims. Healthy hair comes from the inside out, and unless you cover your scalp with concrete or perhaps superglue, hair growth will not be inhibited in any way.

These are very good products that allow many hair loss sufferers to face the world with confidence. I am one of these hair loss sufferers, and wound not use these products if they were harmful in anyway.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I'm more and more tempted to try it. May I ask what you use and what you think of it?

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I'm more and more tempted to try it. May I ask what you use and what you think of it?
    I currently use Derrmmatch and it works very well for me. The problem with using these products is that you become emotionally dependant on them and feel naked or exposed if you decide not to apply them on certain days.
    Perhaps that's just me?
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

I currently use Derrmmatch and it works very well for me. The problem with using these products is that you become emotionally dependant on them and feel naked or exposed if you decide not to apply them on certain days.
    Perhaps that's just me?
    <g>

I suspect it's NOT just you! I was imagining wearing it to work every day, and then stopping when I next see a dermatologist. I think I'd feel VERY self-conscious (of course, I considered the other option of putting glitter on my scalp for parties...;-).

Bald and Beautiful AlopecianMuse's Avatar

Wink

<g>

I suspect it's NOT just you! I was imagining wearing it to work every day, and then stopping when I next see a dermatologist. I think I'd feel VERY self-conscious (of course, I considered the other option of putting glitter on my scalp for parties...;-).
    I LOVE GLITTER! It makes a bald girl just a little glitzy!

Quote Originally Posted by AlopecianMuse View Post
    I LOVE GLITTER! It makes a bald girl just a little glitzy!
    Another option was writing messages across my scalp, but the amount of legibility would vary depending on how full my hair looks any one day. Today, you'd only see bits of letters. "Merry Xmas" would be an option, otherwise. ;-)

<g>

I was traveling a few weeks ago and forgot my Dermmatch. After a mini panic attack, I contemplated calling the company to have some FedExed to me, but decided against making the call.

It really wasn't that bad going a few days "exposed." It was actually kind of liberating.
    Spencer Kobren

I was traveling a few weeks ago and forgot my Dermmatch. After a mini panic attack, I contemplated calling the company to have some FedExed to me, but decided against making the call.

It really wasn't that bad going a few days "exposed." It was actually kind of liberating.
    Good. I'm always glad to hear that kind of thing. Personally, I'd bet that you're just as attractive without the Dermmatch, just judging from your personality here. ;-)

Good. I'm always glad to hear that kind of thing. Personally, I'd bet that you're just as attractive without the Dermmatch, just judging from your personality here. ;-)
    I guess I have my moments.
    Spencer Kobren