+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice? 27 and balding.

Good evening guys, new member here. I just wanted to see what everyones advice is. I'm balding on my vertex and have a receding hairline towards the front. I definitely dont deny the fact i'm balding when friends and family mention it. My father is bald (he's 63) i'm currently 27. I have resorted to the buzz cuts now....I do a #2 buzz all around. Do you guys think I should go down to a number 1 buzz?

On another note, i'm taking rogaine and s5 cream, nizoral shampoo, and taking oral fish oil, biotin, saw palmetto etc. I have no interest in finasteride or propecia...I dont want the side effects etc. I just dont think the rogaine or anything is really helping at this point.

I posted a few pictures...thanks for any advice.Click image for larger version

Name:	20141019_213401.jpg

Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	35422Click image for larger version

Name:	20141019_213435.jpg

Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	35423Click image for larger version

Name:	20141019_213456.jpg

Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	35424

thoughts/advice anyone???

Using an antiandrogen like finasteride/dustasteride is the only way to keep balding at bay unless you are ready to accept baldness. Rogaine will help promote hair growth/regrowth but does nothing to stop the conversion of T -> DHT which is the real reason hair falls out and weakens over time. If you have never tried it, I would recommend giving finasteride/propecia at least a shot and you can hop off if you get sides. There are of course possible side effects but I do believe those are rare. I think there are much more people like myself who are unaffected downstairs while reaping the benefits upstairs. Cheers and good luck.

Where can i get finasteride/propecia? How long does it usually take before seeing results? Am i to late to start that?

Quote Originally Posted by sundev09 View Post
    Good evening guys, new member here. I just wanted to see what everyones advice is. I'm balding on my vertex and have a receding hairline towards the front. I definitely dont deny the fact i'm balding when friends and family mention it. My father is bald (he's 63) i'm currently 27. I have resorted to the buzz cuts now....I do a #2 buzz all around. Do you guys think I should go down to a number 1 buzz?

On another note, i'm taking rogaine and s5 cream, nizoral shampoo, and taking oral fish oil, biotin, saw palmetto etc. I have no interest in finasteride or propecia...I dont want the side effects etc. I just dont think the rogaine or anything is really helping at this point.

I posted a few pictures...thanks for any advice.Attachment 35422Attachment 35423Attachment 35424
    I would love to have as much hair as u do.

Your hair does not look that bad at all. Are you sure that is a 2 guard? Looks longer to me. I would give a one guard a shot. If you don't like it, it will be back to a 2 in a week. You have nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by sundev09 View Post
    Where can i get finasteride/propecia? How long does it usually take before seeing results? Am i to late to start that?
    You can get finasteride prescribed from any dermatologist. Because hair grows slowly, it can take quite a few months to see results but it's usually clear by the 1 year mark. I just hit the 5 month mark on finasteride and I'm just now starting to see new hair grow on my hair line and feel my hair thicken up. The months prior, however, I (like just about all others who try hair loss treatment) went through a shedding phase where hair was falling out and I was losing density. This, however, is just part of the process and it would mean the drug is working.

If you have the desire to have hair, I don't think it's ever too late to give our current hair treatments a try. There are plenty of success stories of men using the big 3 (fin/min/nizoral) and having hair regrowth and I think I will be joining them in a few months. Check out this guy's story; he has hair loss similar to yours, maybe a bit worse when he started, and he's had great regrowth.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12896

Thanks. It is a 2 guard...i used to use a 3 on the sides/scissors on the top. But i finally just decided to do a 2 all over to make things easy and try and not let my thinning be so noticeable. I think i'll try a 1 guard next time I cut my hair...thanks for the advice.

I'm gonna give it some thought about going to fin. Should I be using rog 2x a day? Also, how often should I be using the nizoral shampoo? In addition to this, how much does fin cost? I've heard about ppl not being able to get it prescribed because there docs/dermatologist refuse to...thanks for the info.

Finasteride is now available in the generic form in the US, so the cost should be lower vs. it's brand name equivalent, propecia. While a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon may be the most suitable types of physicians for assessing hair loss, most gp's will also prescribe this drug for someone with evident hair loss. You should be using rogaine twice daily. Nizoral should be used twice weekly. Massage it into the scalp and leave on 5-10minutes before rinsing. Like the others said, finasteride and dutasteride are really the only medications available to halt hair loss and maintain the hair you have. If you haven't tried it yet, I would recommend at least trying it and see if you have any side effects. Remember, not everyone will suffer the unwanted side effects from taking these meds. Hope this helps and good luck!

* Aphrodite also posts as rapunzel and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant - 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011. The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.