+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down Nobody wants to give me Propecia.

What's with Dermatologists only prescribing Propecia once you're obviously balding? I've lost a lot of density and would like to maintain what I have, not wait until I get a very noticeable bald spot and be told "Here, take this. You can keep what you've got."

Dermatologist one: Saw me for probably three minutes. Said "Alopecia Areata" and sent me on my way with a hydrocortisone cream that I've been using on the patchy areas of my beard.

At Bosley: The consultant guy suggested I get Propecia to maintain what I have, but when he called the doctor in, she said she saw no signs of baldness yet, despite my slightly receded left temple, my balding nape, and me telling her I've lost a lot of density on the top of my head.

Dermatologist two: Did a hair pull test and said that I was losing one hair a pull, which is normal. She claimed I was probably near the tail-end of a telogen effluvium, but that doesn't make sense because I've been losing a steady amount of hair for a few months at least. She said to come back if it gets worse.

I'm frustrated that it seems impossible to get a prescription when you've still got most of your hair. I don't want to wait until I get a bald spot to get on it, but it looks like I'll have to.

I posted these pics in another thread, but here they are again that show obvious hair loss.

Pre-shower:

Post-shower:

It's very slight so far but you can see my scalp through my hair a little bit in the second picture. They aren't 100% identical angles, but you get the idea.

I'm honestly shocked three doctors in a row missed my hair loss, including one (the one at Bosley) who'd I assume is a hair loss "expert."

I'm prone to having bouts of hypochondria, but it's seriously hard to imagine hair loss. I think these pictures speak for them self.

Even if they didn't think I had MPB, how do doctors not think anything of a balding nape?

That is unacceptable, your views are valid and your hair loss is preventable.
    In the meantime, i would begin using rogaine, use 5% for a couple months, then if you cannot get 15% prescription, buy a derma roller and a shower cap and increase rogaine 5% affects by over 300% but be careful if you do.

You have a right to this medication,
    Make an appointment with your general practitioner docter and INSIST that you need this medication, do not take no for an answer. Fake cry if you have to, Idk what to tell you, but if I was you I would not take no for answer.

If worse comes to worse and your doctors are all unethical, you might as well be unethical as well and get it yourself.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/

This is an online pharmacy, they operate out of the united states & are immune to united states perscription laws, you can find propecia, or finasteride there.

I just don't trust buying that stuff online.

I plan on waiting a month or so, getting a hair cut so I know my hair loss will be immediately obvious, and then going back to the doctor. A month shouldn't change much as far as hair loss, I wouldn't think. As for Rogaine, I'm not interested for a few reasons... it's a chore, it doesn't work for many, and for who it does work, it doesn't work for very long.

I'm currently just using Nizoral EOD until I decide to demand Propecia. It's hard to demand right now when any doctor I see says I'm not losing my hair.

Understandable, I get it.

Minox is a chore, and over time is very expensive.
    I recently had a transplant to fix my corners, but before I was using minox / derma roller / shower cap at night for an hour and regrow a huge amount of hair I was shocked because i did not think rogaine works,

But it does because it lowers your blood pressure, that's how it works and then the hair responds well to this lowered blood pressure and hair grows.

I wish you the best friend, the nizoral is a good place to start.
    Your level of hair loss is not noticeable, even among men who are very hair - aware.
    If I saw your hair in person, as was pictured, I would not think you were balding ( I am being honest ) but I do see where your problem is, and only you know your body, and you know when it's changing.

The good thing is you caught it early, so maintain your momentum & I trust you will resolve your problem. Remember you are special and hair loss nowadays comes and goes. You will have months where you lose some, and months where you gain some when treating. Leaving you generally, with what you had to begin with. But in your case I would expect to regrow the hair, especially given how young you appear, your hair follicles are still active

Look young enough to the point where the dermatologist said "You're a little young for Propecia right now." ... I guess she didn't look at my age on her paperwork. Eesh!

Thanks for the kind words. I know that my hair loss is probably not noticeable at all to most though. I even said "I probably look like a hypochondriac coming in here." at my last dermatologist appointment, but it's been laying differently, feels thinner, and I've been losing a good amount of hair ... that adds up to something that needs a look. Apparently none of the doctors think hair loss means anything! My initial appointment for a physical a little over a month ago where I asked my doctor (who's completely bald now and used to wear a toupee) about hair loss, all he said was "It's not male pattern baldness." because my hair's thinning in weird spots. It's more noticeable when my hair is shorter. Here's a picture from August or so:

I am also 23.
    I am happy we live in a time where there are real, working, viable hair loss treatment methods.

Your hair looks great & now that you are brave enough to acknowledge the beginning of a problem, you now have the means to prevent it, and always have fantastic looking hair.

^_^

Have you tried finasteride personally? Always interested in others' experiences.

Yes, I have.

No side affects, and it works well.
    for me personally it completely stopped my hairloss, however it did not regrow my temples, so I had to have surgery for that. But that's fine, cus I had my eyebrows thickened too, so as a result of having gone thru hair problems I ended up being more attractive then I used to be.

Propecia is definitely worth it, and a miracle.

My derm refused to prescribe propecia, saying he wouldn't want to be responsible for chemically castrating a young man. I got a hold of it through another doc, but the first doctor was right. Even after quitting I couldn't get normal erections for months! It's a good thing that doctors are aware of their responsibilities you know, without saying that's the issue with this particular case.. There are own forums for people suffering from long-term side effects after propecia-use. Have a look at those guys' problems, and hairloss will seem rather minor in comparison..