Odd hairloss at 23: Extremely depressed and suicidal. (PICS) - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unhappy Odd hairloss at 23: Extremely depressed and suicidal. (PICS)

Been reading through the forums for a couple months now, been trying to find similar cases with not much success. I just turned 23 a week ago and I've been noticing weird streaky thinning on my sideburns, temples, around nape of neck, as well as a very slight hairline recession. Thankfully my crown and vertex seem/feel thick. The texture of the hair in the thinning areas look/feel very dry, limp and sparse (pubic hair-like) compared to the other parts of my scalp. Like when wet, I can start seeing my scalp now which is freaking me out!! After reading a few threads I came to a conclusion that I might be at the beginning stage of retrograde alopecia?... or perhaps the dreaded DUPA . What do you guys think? Like I said I'm only thinning on my sideburns/temples/nape of neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg

Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	35305Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	35306Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	35307Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(3).jpg

Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	35308
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(4).jpg

Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	35309

I took action and went to a dermatologist last week, the guy barely gave me the time of the day and said if hair loss really made uncomfortable to try propecia, so he wrote me a script. Been taking it for a week now with no sides. Was happy and felt like I was being proactive in fighting this nightmare, until I read a few threads that said propecia is useless on the sideburns/temples/nape of neck areas and even hairline, and sometimes makes it even worst! This made me second guess myself big time. In my case is it even worth staying on propecia?

FAMILY BACKGROUND: My dad is 60 and still has very thick hair, although has a very high receding hairline (NW2.5). My dad's dad died with a full set of hair (NW2) . On the other hand, mom has veryy thin hair, her brothers (uncles) all have medium hair with high receding hairlines (NW2.5-3).

My hair has always been my favorite attribute and the simple thought of losing it makes my stomach painfully revolt, losing my hair will be losing my identity. I just CAN'T see myself going bald, especially at such young age. Lately I've been so unmotivated, feel a constant knot in my throat, grades are dropping, everything is going down. I used to love going to the gym, eating healthy, now the only thing on my mind is my HAIRRRRRR, I'm barely hungry. I wish I could afford therapy cause at times I think I'm going crazy. I wished this was a nightmare, I hate looking at myself in the mirror and don't want to leave my room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(9).jpg

Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	35310   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(10).jpg

Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	35311   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(11).jpg

Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	35312   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(12).jpg

Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	35313   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(13).jpg

Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	35314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6874(1).JPG

Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	35315  

I went through the same thing, all the chicks used to tell me I had the nicest hair, you have to relax man. 99% of people on this forum would kill to have your hair including me, and not one person in the world can notice that you're thinning. And there are some things that can halt your hair loss now: Propecia, RU, and CB. Look into them and if you're suicidal, do get help man because your hair is FINE.

Where the hell is this guys hair loss?

Is this thread a piss take on actual balding men?

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post

Can you not see the five miniaturized hairs on his hairline ?

Also, do know that propecia may work on your hairline, sides, etc. It is not that it doesn't work there, it is just that in most men, it does not seem to work as well. But it may, so you shouldn't just write propecia off.

Also, don't forget minoxidil. That works too.

I feel your pain. This can be very difficult to deal with. But it is important that you decide to address this medical condition like any other medical condition / disease anyone else would have - with as clear a head as possible, with proper medical treatment, and with a vision towards the long run. Like with some other diseases, if you want to address, you will have to address this for the rest of your life. Take that mature, level-headed approach to this condition and you have a much better chance of doing ok and emerging a better man for it.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post

Not at all, my hair used to be so much thicker and its been thinning quite rapidly these last couple months. I want to prevent any further loss before its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by macster View Post
    Also, do know that propecia may work on your hairline, sides, etc. It is not that it doesn't work there, it is just that in most men, it does not seem to work as well. But it may, so you shouldn't just write propecia off.

Also, don't forget minoxidil. That works too.

I feel your pain. This can be very difficult to deal with. But it is important that you decide to address this medical condition like any other medical condition / disease anyone else would have - with as clear a head as possible, with proper medical treatment, and with a vision towards the long run. Like with some other diseases, if you want to address, you will have to address this for the rest of your life. Take that mature, level-headed approach to this condition and you have a much better chance of doing ok and emerging a better man for it.

Best of luck.
    Was using rogaine 5% for two weeks and unfortunately gave me really bad dark circles under my eyes so I discontinued it, and I completely agree with you, I need to take more of a holistic approach of this situation. I'm aware other factors can cause hairloss besides mpb. Thyroid problems and Telogen effluvium come to mind. I've started nursing school three months ago and have been under a significant amount of stress.... so maybe I shouldn't rule TE out. I also had a car accident a year ago (August 2013) where I broke my jaw and wrist (needed surgery on both). Will propecia regrow the hair lost from TE? Also has anyone had regrowth/thickening of the hairline,sides,temples while on the drug?

@TimJermaine Thanks man, your post made me feel slightly better about this nightmare. Isn't RU the topical version of propecia? To my knowledge there hasn't been enough studies of it to be considered effective....anyone had good results on it?

P.S Where would I classify on the Norwood Scale?

Thanks so much guys, if it wasn't for this site I would've been baker-acted for sure.

I'll just say two things:

1. You have no hair loss.
    2. You have BDD and you may need therapy.
    3. You must be aware that it looks like trolling and I think it actually may be.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    I'll just say two things:

1. You have no hair loss.
    2. You have BDD and you may need therapy.
    3. You must be aware that it looks like trolling and I think it actually may be.
    The pictures don't capture it, it looks worst in person for sure. Even though I would LOVE to think I have no hairloss, my side burns/temple/back of ear area ARE indeed thinning. You can definitely see it on these pix

I came to this forum to get some insight of this because I'm aware the sides of the scalp aren't affected by MPB/DHT....I'm hoping to chat with other guys who've encountered similar problems and see if there's any solutions to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(9).jpg

Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	35316   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(12).jpg

Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	35317