Hair treatment for MPB in teenagers - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hair treatment for MPB in teenagers

I'm 16 and currently thinning on top. Also am experiencing a lot of peach fuzz. I started a topic in Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic, but I've decide it is better to start a topic here since I have some specific questions about treatment (so sorry as this might come across as cross-posting). Btw I will see a dermatologist soon, but I thought it would be useful to gain some information here first.

I've already been recommended to start using rogaine and nizoral by a poster and to start with propecia in my 20's to help stabilizing the process even further. But I was thinking: since I'm in one of the very first stages of balding, would it be realistic to think that I could get away with using rogaine and a DHT-blocker shampoo only for a long period as stabilization for my MPB? With a long period I was think about 10 years at least.

The only reason I'm thinking this is because of the early stage my balding is in. I know propecia is much more effective than every other product on the market right now (except dutasterine but that's more or less the same), but the side effects scare me (yes I've been reading too many horror stories lately. It would be pretty awesome if minoxidil and a DHT blocking shampoo could keep me out of trouble for a long time.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately rogaine will not prevent hair loss. It'll help maintain the appearance of your hair but you will continue to lose ground. Shampoos do help but will generally have a minimal effect. Best of luck! My hairline was decimated at last year when I was 16 so I feel your pain.

Hi, I was balding around 17. Around 18-19 I was a diffuser I almost looked like NW6! Even though I was a NW3 with much thinning on top. I grew back everything with fin in 2 years. HOWEVER, it did not grow back the temples so I have to combover until I get my FUE/piloscopy. My sides RECEDE and that's something I can never fix. get on fin, nizoral did nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Unfortunately rogaine will not prevent hair loss. It'll help maintain the appearance of your hair but you will continue to lose ground. Shampoos do help but will generally have a minimal effect. Best of luck! My hairline was decimated at last year when I was 16 so I feel your pain.
    I have been reading more and more upon rogaine and indeed discovered that it's not that great, or at least not as great as I first thought... The way I see it now, it has more cons than pro's. What did you do to 'overcome' your hair loss at such a young age? Started taking meds/topicals or just accepted it and buzzed it off?

Quote Originally Posted by ShookOnes View Post
    Hi, I was balding around 17. Around 18-19 I was a diffuser I almost looked like NW6! Even though I was a NW3 with much thinning on top. I grew back everything with fin in 2 years. HOWEVER, it did not grow back the temples so I have to combover until I get my FUE/piloscopy. My sides RECEDE and that's something I can never fix. get on fin, nizoral did nothing for me.
    Sucks to hear that :/ . Did they prescribe propecia when you were 19-20? Because I thought it was a very big no-no to take propecia when under/around 20 years since the side-effects would/could be worse than usual. Btw, you're advising me to get on propecia, but I can't. No doctor/dermatologist in his right mind is going to prescribe propecia to a 16-year old... For good reasons ofc, I get that. So I'll have to figure out something to stabilize my hair loss without using propecia, which is going to be hard/impossible...

Also, quick question for everyone who started losing hair in their late teens: when we start losing hair this early, does that necessarily mean we have very aggressive hair loss? Or does "aggressive hair loss" not say anything about the age it starts but about the time it takes to get you from NW 0 - NW7 ?

rogain and a shampoo is better than nothing but over some years your hair is going to express whatever nature has in store for you.

I started going around 17-18 myself, only did Rogaine until i hit 20(2 years ago), rogaine didnt do much more than maintain my hair for about a year, I had agressive loss so it really doesnt do much.

it doesnt necessarily mean you have agressive loss, but it usually points to that. to me it means once CB or another alternative comes out we will need to stack them together in order to see results, as FIN alone will only slow the loss, not stop it. It's usually in agressive hairloss sufferrers that FIN doesnt give any regrowth or reversal, while slow hairloss sufferers tend to have side effects from the drug but also receive some regrowth as well, something I've noticed from being on the forums for a while.

FIN is when my hairloss stopped or slowed to a near halt.

Id recommend getting on it as soon as you turn 18.

Does Minoxidil lose its effectiveness because we become tolerante to it or does it just start to lose the battle eventually?
    Or is it a mixture of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom21 View Post
    Does Minoxidil lose its effectiveness because we become tolerante to it or does it just start to lose the battle eventually?
    Or is it a mixture of both?
    Mixture of both, Minoxidil alone is not powerful enough to cause a huge benefit against hairloss, you do become a little more tolerant to it but largely it has a maintaining effect after the first year I'd say.

FIN is far more important in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    rogain and a shampoo is better than nothing but over some years your hair is going to express whatever nature has in store for you.
    Yeah I'm starting to understand that (unfortunately )...

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I started going around 17-18 myself, only did Rogaine until i hit 20(2 years ago), rogaine didnt do much more than maintain my hair for about a year, I had agressive loss so it really doesnt do much.

it doesnt necessarily mean you have agressive loss, but it usually points to that. to me it means once CB or another alternative comes out we will need to stack them together in order to see results, as FIN alone will only slow the loss, not stop it. It's usually in agressive hairloss sufferrers that FIN doesnt give any regrowth or reversal, while slow hairloss sufferers tend to have side effects from the drug but also receive some regrowth as well, something I've noticed from being on the forums for a while.

FIN is when my hairloss stopped or slowed to a near halt.

Id recommend getting on it as soon as you turn 18.
    Thanks for explaining. You say that slow hairloss sufferers tend to have side effects from the drug but also some regrowth as well. This implies that aggressive hairloss sufferers tend to have no/less sides, right? You didn't say it literally in your post but you do imply it. Also,you've noticed this from your own experiences of being on this forum, but are there any studies/articles about this too? I know this would be somewhat hard since "slow hairloss" and "aggressive hairloss" is subjective up to a certain point, but I thought there might be some studies...

As for my situation, I went to my GP yesterday and she confirmed (or said that in the least case it's very likely) that I have MPB. I made an appointment with a dermatologist but the earliest I could see him was back in August, so that kind of sucks. I'm just hoping that I won't lose too much ground in those 5 weeks (I know MPB is something that advances relatively slowly but still, earlier is always better). Also hoping that the test results won't take a very long time.

Another question btw: Someone on another forum recommended doing a full (or as much as possible) hormone check before starting propecia. He said this would be beneficial, especially when you're experiencing sides so you could see what exactly causes those sides. Is such an hormone check regularly done when propecia is prescripted by a dermatologist and is it indeed that beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Yeah I'm starting to understand that (unfortunately )...

Thanks for explaining. You say that slow hairloss sufferers tend to have side effects from the drug but also some regrowth as well. This implies that aggressive hairloss sufferers tend to have no/less sides, right? You didn't say it literally in your post but you do imply it. Also,you've noticed this from your own experiences of being on this forum, but are there any studies/articles about this too? I know this would be somewhat hard since "slow hairloss" and "aggressive hairloss" is subjective up to a certain point, but I thought there might be some studies...

Another question btw: Someone on another forum recommended doing a full (or as much as possible) hormone check before starting propecia. He said this would be beneficial, especially when you're experiencing sides so you could see what exactly causes those sides. Is such an hormone check regularly done when propecia is prescripted by a dermatologist and is it indeed that beneficial?
    Yea it's always good to take precautions, I never needed to as I think the most side effects I had was watery semen for a month, I'm 100% normal now(maybe no morning wood sometimes?)

Im not a scientists but the way I'd explain it is(not the exact science just giving an example) Fin inhibits a certain percentage of DHT in the system, around 60%, so theres still that 40% left, it's possible agressive sufferers like myself can handle only having 40% because the DHT was so agressive before but slow hairloss sufferers maybe have less DHT or cannot handle it. The best results i've seen(although there are exceptions) almost always have a side comment saying they experience small side effects.

Either way try out Fin and Minoxidil for a year asap, and then if it's not working enough consider taking the next step(adding dut once a week, RU alternative, other grey market products).