+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dr. Cotsarelis breakthrough Discovery (June 2nd, 2013)

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-0...ring-hair.html

The findings help explain why humans don't regenerate their hair after wounding," said senior author George Cotsarelis, MD, professor and chair of Dermatology. "The study also points us to a way to treat wounds and grow hair." Following up on earlier work, which showed that increased signaling from the Wnt pathway doubled the number of new hair follicles, the Penn team looked further upstream in the pathway and identified an important cascade of signals that prompt further expression, as well as perpetuate and amplify signals sent during a crucial phase of hair-follicle regeneration. Fgf9 is initially secreted from gamma delta T cells, an unconventional, rare subset of T cells involved in the immune response. Once released, Fgf9 serves as the catalyst for a signal sent via the dermal Wnt pathway. The signal prompts further expression of Fgf9 in structural cells called fibroblasts, and adds to the generation of new hair follicles. When a wound occurs in an adult person, hair follicle growth is blocked and the skin heals with a scar. However, hair does regenerate to a great extent in the wound-healing process in mice. The team compared how the process works in adult mice versus humans. Humans have low numbers of gamma delta T cells in their skin compared to mice, and this may explain why human skin scars but does not regenerate hair follicles. In adult mice, the amount of Fgf9 secreted modulates hair-follicle regeneration after wounding. When Fgf9 was reduced, there was a decrease in wound-induced hair follicle growth. Conversely, when Fgf9 was increased, there was a two- to three-fold increase in the number of new hair follicles, equal to the amount seen in the mice expressing Wnt. Importantly, when the investigators added Fgf9 back to the wounds that do not normally regenerate, FGF9 triggered the molecular cascade of events necessary for skin and hair regeneration; thus, leaving the door open for using Fgf9 to treat wounds and hair loss in people. The Penn team suggests that, given the differences in skin development and regeneration in response to wounding, treatments intended to compensate for the lack of Fgf9 may be most effective if timed with a wounding response. "Testing activators of Fgf9 or Wnt pathways during the wound healing process may be warranted," they stated.

Link to Nature Article

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vao...l/nm.3181.html

yawnn

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    yawnn
    Well, it's true that this isn't going to grow hair in the near future, but at least it points out why former attempts to regrow hair with wounding have been a failure.

There have been reported cases of complete regeneration with experimental cancer drugs and a trigger (usually a sunburn). I think we are going to the right direction

Has anything that Cotsarelis has ever done ever helped us at all in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Pentarou View Post
    Absolutely! For example ...

I have a mouse and a cat and my cat always bits my mouse - voilà! - perfect mouse wound-healing due to Cotsarelis research!

That question should put a stamp on him being a failure. Same goes for Lauster with his laziness.

what ever happened to the lotion he was making ???? I thought it he had it tested and it actually worked (if I remember correctly). Then again I don't know if it worked on humans...

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    what ever happened to the lotion he was making ???? I thought it he had it tested and it actually worked (if I remember correctly). Then again I don't know if it worked on humans...
    There is no lotion, it's just something that the Daily Mail made up (this is a newspaper that denies climate change and was strongly anti vaccine!)

There is no lotion, it's just something that the Daily Mail made up (this is a newspaper that denies climate change and was strongly anti vaccine!)
    Hi Pantarou

Random off-topic question but did you say you were doing ACCA? I replied back when you messaged me but the admins got rid of the message board function.

I have my audit exam this Thursday and Corporate Governance one next week...

P.S. Sorry guys for being off-topic

No, I'm not doing it myself, but I know people who are. :?
    )