+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

I had the same problem with rogaine. It says that for 3 to 4 weeks shedding should be expected, after which it would reside and the initially lost hairs would grow back after 3 to 6 months. My shedding got progressively worse for 5 months until I stopped everything. Hair never grew back as far as I know, but it could just be that I didn't notice because I was losing new hairs constantly.

One thing that could be the reason is that our scalps react badly to some of the inactive ingredients in Minodoxil. Minodoxil is usually dissolved in alcohol in order for it to be absorbed into the scalp. Although many doctors have denied that alcohol does any damage to the scalp, I found that every time after I go drinking, the next morning I shed an extra large amount of hair (and this is not just me worrying). So i guessed my shedding could have something to do with the alcohol and not the minodoxil itself.

So i just started using a product called lanadil, which is minodoxil based in a non alcoholic solution. Currently it only has 2% minodoxil in it so its usually meant for women only, but I got it anyways just to see. My hair seems to be doing well so far, and my shedding seems to have decreased quite a bit just after one week of usage. So you might want to try it, if you're having adverse reactions to the conventional ROgaine formula.

Default JMay83

Hello - In reference to Rogaine, only about 40% or less men will see any results! Therefore, I really don't recommend it to most of my patients, accept for those with very minimal hair loss. I usually just prescribe Rx: Finasteride
    I usually recommend to my patients a formulation of Finasteride + Biotin + Selenium [That I call C.F. = Compounded Finasteride].
    Now in reference to your question about rogaine and increase hair loss. I usually do NOT see this problem with my patients. However, you are correct in that after you stop using the Rogaine - most patients may report what they believe is an increase in hair loss ..... but actually it is probably just the normal or accelerated shedding after stopping Rogaine.
    FYI - You will NOT lose more hair from just utilizing Rogaine.

My recommendation for you would be Rx Finasteride.

I hope this helps ...

Best Regards,

Mark D. Baxa, MD

Dr. Baxa,

Do you think Rogaine Foam is worth a try on the hairline? That's really the most noticable part of my hairloss..i still have what would be considered a relative "full" head of hair. Also, do you know when generally one starts seeing results from Finasteride? Thanks so much!

When I tried Rogaine I believe there was something in the directions about short term hair loss.

Currently I use Propecia, but I live in Portugal and I am not sure if it is available in the States under that name.

Default Rogaine & Hair Loss

Hello Custodio ... & JMay83

First off for JMay83 ... Yes you can use Rogaine on your frontal hairline! Just for FYI Propecia [or Finasteride] is not effective on hairline.

So your only option is Rogaine .... Other than LLLT [Low Level Laser Therapy].

In reference to when it [Finasteride] start to show results ... Merck says about 24 months! I usually see results in my patients at 18 - 24 months.

Now for Custodio .... Yes, It was stated by the manufacture originally on Rogaine that it 'may' cause short term hairline .... Mainly as 'CYA' thing in my opinion.

As for your question about 'Propecia' ... Yes, that is Finasteride and it is marketed in the USA as 'Propecia' .... 1 mg Finasteride [Same as in Europe].

Best Regards,

Mark D. Baxa, MD

Thanks Dr. Baxa! I think I'll give Rogaine Foam a try on my hairline.

Dr. Baxa i've been using rogaine/regaine now for 2 weeks and my hair has really started to thin out on top after using it. Before i started using rogaine my hair was already thin on top, but now it really started to thin out. I'm considering it stop using the product and maybe move on to something else. I was wondering what other hair loss products/shampoos etc you would recommend i use..I'm considering using nisim, is it any good? I'm only 21 and this is a realy blow to my self esteem, its kinda depressing looking in the mirror every day any seeing a young guy with a receding hairline!

Hey JMay83

How has the battle been going? Has your hair improved at all since you stopped Rogaine? This is killing me man. My hair just keeps getting worse. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

Default Danger1613 - Reply from Dr. Baxa

Hello 'Danger0613,

I am sure from your response that you are indeed very concerned about your current hair loss or shedding. However, please know that I have never read any medical articles that indeed show that Rogaine can be responsible for continued hair loss after it has been stopped.

What is important for you, is to realize that 'Stress' can also be a factor in continued hair loss. I know that this is simple to state and sometimes very hard to accomplish ... But we see this following major hospital surgeries when a patient has been 'stressed' by anesthesia or the operation itself. So 'Stress' can be a factor in increased hair loss.

The fact of the matter is that now that you have stopped the rogaine ... you should soon stablize and ... 'if' you are to have continued hair loss, it will be because of your genetic predisposition to have continued hair loss and not the rogaine.

But also consider the 'stress' factor.

I wish you the best!

Mark D. Baxa, MD