+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Hi Doctor Baxa,
    I have been experiencing increased shedding after taking propecia for 1month now...May i know is that normal? How long will this shedding last?
    And wat is the recommended dosage time for propecia?
    I normally consume it before sleep..

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Hi Doctor Baxa,
    I have been experiencing increased shedding after taking propecia for 1month now...May i know is that normal? How long will this shedding last?
    And wat is the recommended dosage time for propecia?
    I normally consume it before sleep..
    Hey Constantine,
    What you are experiencing is completely normal and happens to a relatively large percentage of guys who start Propecia. Eventually the increased shedding should slow down, so I wouldn't be too concerned. There is no clinical data indicating the best time to take Propecia, just try to take it around the same time every day if possible.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

I went through a shed about 3 months in and it stopped within 6 weeks. I Don't worry about it, the hair grows back

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    I went through a shed about 3 months in and it stopped within 6 weeks. I Don't worry about it, the hair grows back
    So how long do you see positive results after started propecia?
    Do you see regrowth of hair besides hairloss stoppage after taking propecia?
    How long you been taking propecia and do u add on minoxidil or nizoral shampoo?

I have a question about Rogaine usage. Maybe I'm reading some posts wrong so forgive me if I'm dumb but it seems that I'm reading a lot of posts that are saying, & I'm paraphrasing here...

"I started using Rogaine & my hair got worse so I stopped & now my hair is awful."

But from what I've read it seems that you start using Rogaine. You go through a shedding period. But then you have to keep using it. And then you begin to grow hair.

I think if you stop using it then of course you have no shot at getting your hair back. Now I'm just asking here. I only know what I've been reading. I'm 32 and have a nasty bald spot on the top of my head & thinning hair up front. I'm just doing research here & asking questions to get info. Has anyone started to use Rogaine & stick with it after the shedding period? I'd be curious to know what happens.

According to minoxidil.com only rogaine users of the 5% minoxidil strength or better usually go through a shedding period, with 2% it is much less likely. The shedding is a sign that it is working and that newer stronger hairs will likely form in the future.

You have to stick with the product for atleast 4-6 months.

I only recently started finasteride 1mg and minoxidil 2%. I am adding minoxidil 15% soon though. I think I am experiencing very minor shedding with the 2% that I apply sometimes 3x a day.

The shedding period lasts 100 days. It doesn't always happen, especially not to a big extent. But I do believe the vast majority regrow the most of the hairs that fell out. It just speeds up the hair cycling from anagen to telogen to grow new, better hairs.

I don't have experience in this myself but I have read a ton about it. You can read a lot about shedding here: http://minoxidil.com/subpages/journa.../shedding.html

I dunno man. Minoxidil (Rogaine Foam) actually almost completely restored my hairline.

Maybe I'm just a rare example. I hope it lasts for a few years til Hostogen or whatever comes out.