+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 10 year study on Finasteride

I appologize if this study has been discussed before, I couldn't find it on baldtruth so thought I should add a thread.

Its a 10 year study from the Journal of Dermatological Treatment- SEP 2011. I think this is the longest done so far.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...441.x/abstract

This is a quote from the abstract
    "Its efficacy was not reduced as time goes on; in fact, a big proportion of subjects unchanged after 1 year, improved later on, maintaining a positive trend.".

This is completely contrary to what is usually said on forums, that hairloss catches up after a few yrs, and Fin stops working. So this was a suprise.

It also says sides were 6% and some of them went on with treatment because of the great results" which is higher than the 2% initially reported by Merk.

Here is a quote from the last section

"Side effects were observed on 5.9% (7) patients,
    but these effectswere not age related (12–14). Some
    of the patients who experienced side effects did not
    drop out of the treatment because of perceived
    good results.

As in a previous study, finasteride 1 mg was generally
    well tolerated and long-termtreatment led to
    sustained improvement in treated men (7,8).
    In conclusion, finasteride is a safe and effective
    treatment for controlling male pattern baldness
    with long-term daily use even in men over the age
    of 40 years. The satisfactory clinical results, the few
    side effects observed, and the lack of alternative
    medications, led us to consider finasteride an
    effective treatment especially if taken in the early
    stages of AGA".

Interesting. 6% is close to the 5% I've been hypothetically speculating it might be.

It doesn't sound a lot, but 6% would be triple what is stated, which means a lot more men get side effects than is suggested. It would also prove that side effects of the drug exceed the placebo effect so they're pharmacological in nature, i.e. not in men's heads. If it's a pharmacological effect then more studies would have to be done to clarify what's going on and how prevalent it is.

"Sorry guys, incidence of sexual sides in men is actually triple what we had previously thought."

Lol. Odds are currently stated at 1 in 17, step right up!

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    "Sorry guys, incidence of sexual sides in men is actually triple what we had previously thought."
    Or, triple the number of men imagine they're having side effects than I thought before this study

^ insert sarcastic tone.

man this study is really good news for me.. I have a good chance to keep my hair into my 30s! I seriously love this stuff.

Well 6% is higher than Merck said but the only problem I see is that there isnt a control group, its just a bunch of guys who took propecia. How do they know if all these side effects were caused by propecia and not from other reasons? I think they subtract the control group from the test group to get the true side effect rates. from many of the studies I looked at the placebo groups usually had 3 or 4% sexual side effect rates, which is in line with what Merck claims. that rules out any psychological side effects.

But even in any group of guys 6% seems low. Thats combined for all of the side effects also? Maybe 4% had testicle ache, 1% erectile problems, 1% libido problems? Maybe some had headaches or runny noses? If they report anything do they consider that a side effect?

Quote Originally Posted by the_charger View Post
    But even in any group of guys 6% seems low. Thats combined for all of the side effects also? Maybe 4% had testicle ache, 1% erectile problems, 1% libido problems? Maybe some had headaches or runny noses? If they report anything do they consider that a side effect?
    That's the problem with these studies. Either they're not conducted very thoroughly or the reporting is done poorly. Too much trust is placed in them when we don't really know how accurate they are. Even if a study has a small error the methodology or accuracy of interpretation, it can translate to gross mistakes in the conclusions about likelihood of side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by the_charger View Post
    man this study is really good news for me.. I have a good chance to keep my hair into my 30s! I seriously love this stuff.

Well 6% is higher than Merck said but the only problem I see is that there isnt a control group, its just a bunch of guys who took propecia. How do they know if all these side effects were caused by propecia and not from other reasons? I think they subtract the control group from the test group to get the true side effect rates. from many of the studies I looked at the placebo groups usually had 3 or 4% sexual side effect rates, which is in line with what Merck claims. that rules out any psychological side effects.

You do have a valid point!

But remember Merk only did studies that had the longest time frame of 5 years. So perhaps over a peroid of 10 years the 4% went up to 6%.

And you're definitely right about the severity, from their discussion section, some of the people continued with the drug because of the benefits, so atleast some of the sides were minor, but had to be reported in the total number/percentage of those getting sides.

There were alot of questions raised about the long-term safety of the drug. I think 10 years is a long time, to atleast partially suggest that the percentage of people getting sides in the 1st year is not drastically different from people getting sides by the 10th year.

This kind of makes me feel better, since there was so much noise about the possibility of suddenly getting crippling sides after several years of use free of sides.
    I guess I am not saying thats its not possible, but just that in light of this 10year study it should be unlikely

The other problem is that older men taking the drug may not even realize they are getting propecia side effects - they just chalk it up to old age. Can't get it up at 40 like you could at 35 after a couple years on the drug? eh, I'm getting older, also work out less, have a sedentary lifestyle...to be expected --- OR IS IT?

HUGE problem in the study. Simply no follow up on reported side effects.

Its also sad that Mercks original study had 1500 participants but only like 300 were still around at the end. Huge waste to not have like a 90% completion rate. The results are going to be skewed.

There are definitely a lot of questions.. But I don't think mercks numbers are wrong. There was another study posted here where over 3000 people did a 1 year study and side effects reported were less than 1%. that wasnt done by merck or the FDA but in a university.

Notbelievingit, where did you read that only 300 participants remained after mercks original study? wasnt that for their FDA approval for Propecia? I couldnt imagine the FDA approving a medication where only 300 people remained after it was done.. Please show me where you saw that, because I dont believe it. it sounds like more anti propecia hooey

Mercks own 5 year study.

http://goo.gl/RJKd7

I'm too lazy to find the actual documentation at the NIH website, but the above link is it rehashed.

They started with 1533 divided 50/50 drug/placebo.

In the end only 279 men remained who were taking Propecia and 13 on Placebo.

----
    k thats ****ing horseshit to block other website URLs that are "competitors" as if that word should even exist in your lexicon if you're so adament about helping people with hair loss...