+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hair transplant shame

I'm curious about the social stigma associated with getting a hair transplant. What does it stem from?

I've been quite honest with my friends and family about my intention to get a hair transplant and can see myself being open during and after surgery, because I don't really see why not. I'm not criticising others who aren't open, just curious about the reasons.

What matters is that the hair transplant looks good. If it does, nobody will care. People get all sorts of surgery and don't seem to feel shame as much as men do about hair transplants.

I think eradicating this would be a big step towards finding solutions.

I have been too Chris taken a bit of ribbing for it but at the end of day I will be happier at the end of it so its all good.

Yeah I've already had a bit of ribbing but I don't care. When I look better than they do who will be laughing?

Also, it beats the problems associated with balding!

The weather yesterday was horrendous and I was out with friends in a bar. I had no choice but to wear a cap or my hair would have been swept into a crazy mess. A drunk girl flirted with me trying to get my cap off but I had to insist on leaving it on. Would so much rather have been able to let her have a try of it.

I'd like to wear caps as an accessory, not a necessity.

Totally agree with you on the hat thing Chrisis. Before I had my HT i would wear my Trilby hat everywhere. If the bouncer on the door of a club would say no hats I most likely wouldn't go in. Sounds insane but that's how I felt. Girls love taking hats off in clubs as well. Drove me nuts because you know what you're hiding underneath. But in a perfect world you would just let them take it and flirt away.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You have the right additude Chris. I often ask my patients what they think is more important a person who actually cares what they look like or a person who does not care about their appearence. If you can do something for yourself that can improve your self confidence go for it. Life is short.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Anyone with the balls (for want of a better word) to just flaunt their HT (or intention to get one) is doing their bit, however small, to help discard the stigma. Hats off to you!
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi Chrisis

Great Topic ! I agree if everyone was more open it would defo help I think in a huge way as people would tell each other what they have had done, and which Dr had done it , word of mouth so to speak ! it would be a great way of sorting the good from the bad , free marketing for good Drs

I think i would of been more open about it had it been done right, and I had not been left with plugs and scarring , i think people arnt open about it as they are not entirely happy with what has been done , for me when people say " wow ,what happened to you " .. I have to say it was an accident a while back , the questioner usually then retreats with an embarrassed silence as do i ....

ejj

Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I'm curious about the social stigma associated with getting a hair transplant. What does it stem from?
    I think it's a combination of:

a) Men are still viewed as "vain" and unmanly for being concerned enough about their hair loss to do something (visible) about it.

b) People still associate the word "transplant" with life-saving surgery to replace failed organs; the notion of a "transplant" for cosmetic purposes therefore strikes them as a bit frivolous.

What matters is that the hair transplant looks good. If it does, nobody will care.
    Exactly. People may titter about it at first, but soon enough they'll move on to something else, and nobody will remember or care that you had a hair transplant.

I don't consider it vanity at all I don't want to be better looking or more attractive to the fairer sex I simply want get my confidence back to get to point where I don't care about my appearance . If that makes sense .