+ Reply to Thread

Default My hair loss story so far with pics - 23 years old

Hi, this is my first post. I've spent years analysing my hair, i'd appreciate some different perspectives on my situation.

About Me
    I'm 23 (24 next month), from the UK
    I first noticed my temporal hair loss when I was 17/18
    I'd classify myself as a NW3, although I have some miniaturized hairs which if they were terminal would probably make me a NW2.
    I think my crown is OK so far. I've spent too long looking at it under the harshest of LED lighting I sometimes convince myself its beginning to go, but everyone I ask say's there's no sign of loss.

What I'm doing to try and stop/slowdown/improve my hairloss
    1mg generic Finasteride for one year
    Regaine Minoxidil 5% foam twice a day for about 15 months
    Nizoral Ketoconazole shampoo once a week for 3 months
    Microneeding with a dermaroller - 0.25 mm before ever minox application for the past 2 months, one session with 1mm dermaroller a week. I only roll the areas with loss/miniaturization.

Family history of hair loss
    There are't many men in my family to compare. My farther was a NW2 from the age of 20ish, although the hair was thick and solid with no signs of further loss right up until he passed away at 44.
    My father's father had identical hair to my farther's, although his hair was white right up until he past away in his 70s
    My mothers Father is in his mid 70's, probably a NW3/4, but didn't start losing hair until his 50's
    I have one uncle on my mothers side who's in his 40s and is totally bald. I believe he started to lose his hair in the diffuse pattern when he was 19/20 and had shaved his head by 22.
    My mother and her mother both have thin hair, but you wouldn't know by looking at them casually.

Inquiry with a hair transplant clinic
    In Feb 2019 I sent some pictures to The Maitland Clinic with the intention of getting a transplant. David Anderson, their patient adviser suggested I complete at least a full year on Finasteride, keep taking pictures and to contact him again in a year down to the "genetic lottery" that is MPB. David has appeared on TV programs in the UK since I inquired to share his story on multiple transplants, both good and bad. Through my own personal lurking on forums in the past, David, Dr Ball and Janna Shafer make up one of the most knowledgeable, experienced and ethical clinics available today. Some other clinics may have pushed me down the transplant root without considering the chances of future loss.

Pictures
    I've only taken 'good' pictures with consistent lighting in Feb/July this year (2019), but he's some pictures from previous year before any medication/prevention regime:

In the following pictures i'm 23, 5 months apart:

Let me know your views on the extent of my loss any suggestions to my regime, if you think i'm ready for (my first) transplant, or how long I should wait.

Thanks
    Buzz

I just see a maturing hairline. 23 is way too early for a transplant but plenty of people who will do them. What you are doing is great and wouldn't change anything.

Thanks for your input. I wasn’t necessarily thinking of a transplant now, maybe 25-27, even then I’d only want a conservative hairline to replace the minaturizing hairs I have, but I know that’s still too young in most cases. I disguise my loss with a comb over of sorts, now my hair is slightly longer on top I can sweep it over and stick it down with hairspray and no one would know I’m losing it, the hassle to style it that way is the killer at the moment.

Looks fine...no one will notice.

Last two pics look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Kissh View Post
    Last two pics look great!
    Thanks. It’s the frontal hairline which is stressing me out right now. Praying the crown doesn’t start to go too!