+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm Scared.

Default I'm Scared.

Regarding the progression of my hair loss, and considering getting on propecia. I'm 20 years old, and by all means would like to be proactive in fighting against hair loss.

I've had sexual side effects in the past when I was taking SSRI's for anxiety and depression. I've also encountered performance anxiety previously in my sex life, something I've had to conquer. Dealing with hair loss at a young age, this gives me less incentive to want take hormone-altering drugs.

For these reasons, I am decidedly cautious when considering taking medication with potential sexual sides. Regarding fin, it's more of a cost (read: potential risk) vs benefit debate in my mind at this point.

Don't know what I'm looking for. Advice, perhaps. Objectively, I realize that fin is the only thing that can't halt further progression of hair loss. But, were I to encounter any change to my sexual function, I would likely be devastated.

Regards,
    clandestine

why the hell would a 20 year old take anti-depression drugs?? What can you possibly be depressed about?

yes, taking fin is the best way to fight hair loss. side effects are very rare. try it and see if you can tolerate it

Everyoen is different

We don't know what's going on in his life that would neccistate that need for antidepressant drugs

As for Propecia , only way to know if you'll get the side effects is to try it

I did , and I was one of the lucky 2 % who couldn't get it up no matter hard hard ( no pun intended ) I tried

I was on the anti-d's at much younger than 20. It's not uncommon. They seem to hand them out like candy.

Clandestine, I took SSRIs for a while. They didn't do me any good and the sexual side effects were terrible. Only the fact that the withdrawal effects were even worse kept me on them.

Sexual side effects are much more common and severe with SSRIs than they are with Finasteride (propecia). I've personally been fine while taking the Fin, so I'm one example of how experiencing side effects on SSRIs doesn't necessarily mean that other drugs will have the same effect.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    why the hell would a 20 year old take anti-depression drugs?? What can you possibly be depressed about?
    Ooof, thats rough dude. Think before writing.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post

Objectively, I realize that fin is the only thing that can't halt further progression of hair loss. But, were I to encounter any change to my sexual function, I would likely be devastated.

Regards,
    clandestine
    Only way to find out is to try
    If you do experience sides then you can always stop taking the meds

Thing is, I've read countless times that the shit really hits the fan when men QUIT the drug, weeks after - they think they're in the clear and BAM their systems crash. Now I've only read about this on Propeciahelp for instance, but it's a big reason for me to always think twice about using this medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Thing is, I've read countless times that the shit really hits the fan when men QUIT the drug, weeks after - they think they're in the clear and BAM their systems crash. Now I've only read about this on Propeciahelp for instance, but it's a big reason for me to always think twice about using this medication.
    Sounds awful.

I can't believe they haven't released anything better. In 50 years time, when better treatments are out, I bet people will look back at this and realise how barbaric treating hairloss was.

Yeah it's a crap hand hairloss sufferers have been dealt. Jeez, no option other than to risk screwing yourself up with Finasteride or accept impending baldness. (not everyone can afford a HT) and Minox in my experience is rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Sounds awful.

I can't believe they haven't released anything better. In 50 years time, when better treatments are out, I bet people will look back at this and realise how barbaric treating hairloss was.
    I'm with you man, it's just downright pitiful that we only have these shit options to treat hair loss. We really should have much better options than two drugs that weren't even developed to treat hair loss in the first place. That's what really drives me crazy, that we all want to fight our hair loss so bad (and would pay significant money to do so) yet we're given such shit options to do so. You're right man, minoxidil is utter garbage; to call minoxidil a hair growth stimulant is an absolute joke.