+ Reply to Thread

Default May you brush wet hair? If not, why not?

I'm wearing a full cap (swiss lace), 14 inch curly/wavy human hair. Currently one a daily reattachment routine, but in the future hopefully 7+ days in a row, so I'll sleep and shower with it.

After watching a lot of videos on how to car for your hair replacement, I came across a quite popular Youtube channel by a German hair supplier who gives in depth advice to nearly ever topic about hair. There he's showing a technique on how to correctly shampoo wig hair: By brushing the shampoo through the completely wet hair for several minutes, so each and every hair is reached, detangled and so on...

I acquired that method, and by accident I came along someone on the internet saying that wig hair shall never ever be brushed in wet state. So this would be the exact opposite of what that salon tells in his video tutorials.

As only one of both can be true, I hope someone here can help and explain why one should or should not brush hair when it is wet (not towel-dry, really wet). When not attached to the head, I can understand that one could also just "bath" the wig in shampoed-water for 10 minutes or so then just rinse and let dry... but when attached for 7+ days, how should you shampoo/condition it when showering, and get it in style afterwards w/o brushing?

As for me, with my current supplier, I keep getting heavy tangling issues after 5 weeks. I thought that could be quality issues or anything, but maybe it can really have to do with brushing the hair in a wet state? (brushing it when shampooing is currently the ONLY way for me keeping the hair from becoming a complete felty mess)

So, I really hope that someone can enlighten this mystery.

Structurally wet hair is weaker relative to dry hair. Thus, more susceptible to breakage.

I have never used a brush when shampooing. I would suggest first using a very wide tooth comb. Then a brush if you find that brushing is beneficial.

14" hair is long. Thus far more likely to tangle than short hair. As with almost everything relative to hairpieces, you need to determine what works best for you. One suggestion.......after using the wide tooth comb, try rinsing the shampoo from the hair. Then use a good conditioner. Now try the comb/brush combo again with the conditioner. It might work better with the tangling issue.