Finasteride Pill Cutting - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by frankzukini View Post
    Finasteride has a half-life of 4 days. If you do as the previous poster does (taking pieces in a consistent order), Finasteride level in your blood plasma will be identical no matter what the size of the piece you took is. Finasteride is evenly distributed in your Proscar tablet. You shouldn't be worried about having prefect quarters each time. I have a major degree in chemistry, if that can help back my statement.
    I'm doing the generic 5mg tablets from cvs on a script,

what I am worried about is the distribution of the active ingredient of the pill itself - so that I know that each day I am taking around 1mg, not like .25 one day, 1.5 one day, 2.0 one day, etc - not the physical sizes.

I'm just wondering at this point if there is any sort of study on pill active ingredient distribution for the generic tablets or any sort of tablets so that I can say I knew what I was doing in hindsight.

"In the tablet pressing process, the main guideline is to ensure that the appropriate amount of active ingredient is in each tablet. Hence, all the ingredients should be well-mixed. If a sufficiently homogenous mix of the components cannot be obtained with simple blending processes, the ingredients must be granulated prior to compression to assure an even distribution of the active compound in the final tablet. Two basic techniques are used to granulate powders for compression into a tablet: wet granulation and dry granulation. Powders that can be mixed well do not require granulation and can be compressed into tablets through direct compression."

Giant pharmaceutical companies, especially in the United States, aren't running some shoddy illegal operation in a basement, lol. There are strict guidelines, standards, and procedures that have to be followed. Search around on google, there are threads on this topic on various hair loss forums that are over a decade old. The general consensus is that they're evenly distributed and any difference is minuscule. There is also a minority that thinks the opposite. If you are truly worried about the distribution of the medication I'd switch to the 1mg tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by akai View Post
    "In the tablet pressing process, the main guideline is to ensure that the appropriate amount of active ingredient is in each tablet. Hence, all the ingredients should be well-mixed. If a sufficiently homogenous mix of the components cannot be obtained with simple blending processes, the ingredients must be granulated prior to compression to assure an even distribution of the active compound in the final tablet. Two basic techniques are used to granulate powders for compression into a tablet: wet granulation and dry granulation. Powders that can be mixed well do not require granulation and can be compressed into tablets through direct compression."

Giant pharmaceutical companies, especially in the United States, aren't running some shoddy illegal operation in a basement, lol. There are strict guidelines, standards, and procedures that have to be followed. Search around on google, there are threads on this topic on various hair loss forums that are over a decade old. The general consensus is that they're evenly distributed and any difference is minuscule. There is also a minority that thinks the opposite. If you are truly worried about the distribution of the medication I'd switch to the 1mg tablets.
    Not really truly worried - it's more just paranoia like everything involved in hair loss. Logically speaking, it would be pretty impossible for them not to be evenly distributed. But I need something to worry needlessly about - right...

Thanks for that post though. For all I know, if I switched back to 1mg tablets I'd start telling myself if I was taking the 1.25mg tablets it would work better anyway... haha..

Also, youre not supposed to cut it into fifths...youre supposed to cut it into fourths which equals 1.25mg. Skipping a day wont hurt you but not getting enough fin in you could possibly skew your results. I use a sharp knife to cut mine into fifths, it's not problem.