Questions about getting a hair system or "wig" Please read! Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Candide
    • Sep 2011

No worries BBTM; good luck with the process. I have a couple of tips that I could give you off-line, if you would care to drop me an email. Address is keltinthedelta at yahoo dot com

Comment

• Dfaru94
      • Jul 2016

"How come more men don't do this?"

Honestly, I think it's because there's such a stigma around bald men wearing hair pieces.

Men hear "wig" and it's automatically type-casted into those ridiculously bad, horrifically mis-matching toupees. I think a lot of guys simply don't know that you can get these integrated hair systems that -
      A) you can wear 24/7 like it's your own hair you grew yourself, and B) looks pretty amazing. I personally know a guy who wears one, looks pretty good (although once you know it's there, you can kinda see the hairline).

Because (although I'm currently Norwood 2 and on Finasteride) I'm likely to go full N7 looking at my family history, I think this is probably the most realistic option for me in the long-term. I want to wait until I have a more secure job down to where I can afford it (and, hoping with futility, that something more effective might come along to save my own hair) before coming off Finasteride. I like the idea of potentially transplanting-in a thick/low hairline of my own that I can grow and then blending-in the system behind it for the most natural-looking results, I'm sure that's possible?

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
        • Nov 2015

Hey guys, so I've been regrowing my hair out for the past 3-4 weeks and I did not realize until tonight that the lower back area of my hair isn't growing in evenly. I've put a picture of it below.

It's almost as if I'm thinning at the bottom on the back of my head near the neck region. Any ideas if this is normal for the hair to grow unevenly like this? It's been like 8-10 years since I've grown my hair this long and I'm getting ready to get my new hair system in the next week. I really hope it grows in properly on the back of my head near the bottom. I've put a pic below...what do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	440917

Comment

• Candide
          • Sep 2011

You probably are experiencing a bit of thinning there too, but it doesn't look bad or obvious, and I doubt anyone but you would even notice it. You can get a barber to even up the line if you want. It won't affect your hair system.

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Candide
            You probably are experiencing a bit of thinning there too, but it doesn't look bad or obvious, and I doubt anyone but you would even notice it. You can get a barber to even up the line if you want. It won't affect your hair system.
            Thanks for the help but I think my main concern is that in the next 10-20 years, will it get worse and worse in the back? If so, then I will have to go back to shaving my head down just like I do now and get rid of the hair system which would be very disappointing to say the least. Do you think its possible that I could lose the hair on the back of my head? how common is this?

Thanks again for the help with this.

Comment

• Candide
              • Sep 2011

Anecdotally I don't think that is common at all for guys with Male Pattern Baldness. Maybe you should get a trichologist to look at it though, in case it is one of the rarer types of balding.

Honestly, I would advise you to look after the next 5 years and leave the remote future till later. Who knows what will have happened or how you will feel about hair in 10 years?

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
                • Nov 2015

Anecdotally I don't think that is common at all for guys with Male Pattern Baldness. Maybe you should get a trichologist to look at it though, in case it is one of the rarer types of balding.

Honestly, I would advise you to look after the next 5 years and leave the remote future till later. Who knows what will have happened or how you will feel about hair in 10 years?
                I will definitely take this into consideration and thanks agian for the advice. By the way, do you think a "full cap" hairpiece would be the best option for me? I have seen videos on YouTube but is the cost much different than a partial top cap? Any advice with this and do you think a full cap would be an option?

Comment

• Candide
                  • Sep 2011

I certainly don't think the little bit of sparseness you currently have at the neckline justifies thinking about a full cap. As I said before, no one but you would even pick up on that. If it gets markedly worse a full cap would be an option, but there are additional challenges with full caps, particularly getting an effective bond at the nape of the neck, which is muscle rather than bone, and constantly changing shape as you move your head around. Detectability to the touch is also a bigger issue for full caps. Better to try to make a standard system work if you can.

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
                    • Nov 2015

I certainly don't think the little bit of sparseness you currently have at the neckline justifies thinking about a full cap. As I said before, no one but you would even pick up on that. If it gets markedly worse a full cap would be an option, but there are additional challenges with full caps, particularly getting an effective bond at the nape of the neck, which is muscle rather than bone, and constantly changing shape as you move your head around. Detectability to the touch is also a bigger issue for full caps. Better to try to make a standard system work if you can.
                    I talked to the lady who will be doing my first hair piece today and she was confident that I can do a partial piece like you suggested so that's some good news. Looks like I should be getting it done in a week which I'm a bit nervous about. I just hope it looks as real as the youtube videos show...

Comment

• Candide
                      • Sep 2011

Good luck BBTM. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
                        • Nov 2015

Good luck BBTM. Let us know how it goes.
                        So I got my first hair piece today and overall, I think it went well. I will post pics later like probably tomorrow or next day and show you guys.

The only thing I'm not happy with is:

1) The front lace shows. I like to style the hair upward so the lace is quite visible. Maybe it is because she opted to tape it on instead of glue it on? Or the lace is too light of a color?

Other than that, I think my sides still need to grow in a bit for better blending but the color is an exact match of my hair which I was surprised by. Now I just have to see how long it will last before getting another hair piece...

Pictures coming tomorrow or next day... thanks again guys for your support and help during this process.

Comment

• Inthemix
                          • Sep 2015

Congrats. Yes please post pictures as I'm considering a hair piece instead of surgery. Btw, how much did it cost?

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Inthemix
                            Congrats. Yes please post pictures as I'm considering a hair piece instead of surgery. Btw, how much did it cost?
                            Thanks Inthemix and I wasn't happy with the way it looked today cuz I used tape on the front so I'm redoing it with glue in the front and will take pics with it looking that that cuz the tape was so reflective and it looked crappy. lol

By the way, the cost was $650 cuz I went through a local stylist here. My plan is to get it from an online site cuz I've heard it is cheaper that way and then have my bro put on my hair piece for me.

Pictures coming soon...

Comment

• BalderbytheMinute
                              • Nov 2015

Hey guys I posted pics in a new thread here:
                              So I made an appointment with a local stylist who ordered and put my first hair piece on for me. What do you guys think of the pics? Please let me know and be very honest. So far, I think I'm happy with the results even tho I want the sides to blend in more but I think it will once my hair grows in for the next month or so.

Please let me know what you think with an honest opinion and I had some questions too for the experienced guys out here.

Thanks again for the help through this process!

Comment

Working...