+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I Use Nape Hair For My Hairline? [pics]

Hi friends,

I got a hair transplant some 11 months ago (~1750 grafts, hairline), and I am overall satisfied with the result though it's - in my opinion - a little bit pluggy in the front (see attached pictures). You're welcome to let me know your opinion.

For that reason, I am going to get one more hair transplant next year to have the hairline more dense and to add grafts to my thinning crown. I asked my hair surgeon if he could use hair from my nape, just for adding density to the hairline, in order for it to look more natural as I know other doctors do this. He said that he had never done it before because it's not 100% safe to use (not resistant to DHT). So he said that it ultimately would be my call.

Questions is: Has anyone of you had a procedure done with nape hair? If so, I hope you can clarify to me the following:

1) How is it progressing with your hair where nape hair has been used? Has some of it felt out yet? Would love to see pics.
    2) I wear my hair in a bun - would noticeable there be noticeable white spots where my nape hair has been extracted from?

Of course, if you know anyone else who have had nape hair transplanted, I'd also love if you could refer me to that person. Thanks a lot, looking forward to your responses!

//Matin

FYI: Have also posted the question on another hair site, but I'd like opinions from as many as possible of course
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg

Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	52303   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg

Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	52304   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg

Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	52305   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg

Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	52306  

Really - nobody?

Most surgeons don't use nape hair for the reasons you're aware of. Personally, I can see the benefits of it and think there's a place for it in HT surgery. Worse comes to worse, the hairs will eventually fall and you'll lose the benefits of them, but that isn't the end of the world. One thing to be aware of, though, is scarring at the extraction sites. If you scar more than normal then they will be in a position that could be more visible.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

From your pics your hair looks awesome. I wouldn't even bother

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Most surgeons don't use nape hair for the reasons you're aware of. Personally, I can see the benefits of it and think there's a place for it in HT surgery. Worse comes to worse, the hairs will eventually fall and you'll lose the benefits of them, but that isn't the end of the world. One thing to be aware of, though, is scarring at the extraction sites. If you scar more than normal then they will be in a position that could be more visible.
    Thanks a lot for your reply, mattj. Would you have any pics of nape hair results from Dr Rahal, if he has done any? Also, I am curious to see if you have any pics of the potential scarring that one can risk if they fall off. And a follow-up question: Wouldn't you be able to transplant new hairs in the nape hair transplanted area later on, should they fall off?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMPB View Post
    From your pics your hair looks awesome. I wouldn't even bother
    Thanks, JohnMBP. I also think my hairline looks quite good, so not a lot of work needs to be done here. It's more my crown that is now thinning, so I'd like to get both things done at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by matin1991 View Post
    Thanks, JohnMBP. I also think my hairline looks quite good, so not a lot of work needs to be done here. It's more my crown that is now thinning, so I'd like to get both things done at the same time.
    Did you end up going ahead with any nape harvesting?