I'm fairly certain it's too late. - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    Yes, minoxidil does nothing to stop conversion of T-->DHT and without that I think you will eventually lose the hair loss battle unless your hair loss just progress really really slowly. So you know that hormones are the cause of hair loss and we have finasteride available to combat that, why would you not use finasteride and choose Kera XL instead? Finasteride and Dustasteride and the only widely known anti-androgen for hair loss and it's one of two FDA approved product for hair loss. I googled this Kera XL and I didn't find any kind of study or demonstration of effectiveness vs. hair loss. I'm always wary about things that are unproven and the science cannot be demonstrated because the results are usually snake oil results. If the big 3 doesn't work for you, then I would say you should venture as far as RU and CB which are being tested by some members of this forum as well as going through clinical trials and that should be the extent of it.
    I did find a site where it said Biochanin-A had been tested and it reduces the production of 5-AR, Kera Xl also has Acetly Tetrapeptide-3 which does something related to collagen, either provides it or produces it, can't remember( last night I read something about collagen on another forum by someone who had tested it on themself, don't remmeber exactly but I think it increases libido along with providing other hair benefits), it also has some other stuff that I haven't looked up yet.
    But here's something I found on a site posted by a doctor -
    "Kera-XL has been shown to be more effective than Minoxidil in some studies and has the advantage of once at night application as compared to twice a day for Minoxidil. Once treatment is started the hair fall should slow down in 3-6 months and you should see increased hair density in a year or so."
    This doctor had also recommened using Minoxidil in the morning and Kera XL before going to bed, and I'd been following that for a few weeks and seen results. I think I might start doing that again.
    I don't think I want to start using Propecia because of it's side effects, I know only a small percentage suffer from them, but I already use Ketoconazole, which has caused ED and low libido.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    I did find a site where it said Biochanin-A had been tested and it reduces the production of 5-AR, Kera Xl also has Acetly Tetrapeptide-3 which does something related to collagen, either provides it or produces it, can't remember( last night I read something about collagen on another forum by someone who had tested it on themself, don't remmeber exactly but I think it increases libido along with providing other hair benefits), it also has some other stuff that I haven't looked up yet.
    But here's something I found on a site posted by a doctor -
    "Kera-XL has been shown to be more effective than Minoxidil in some studies and has the advantage of once at night application as compared to twice a day for Minoxidil. Once treatment is started the hair fall should slow down in 3-6 months and you should see increased hair density in a year or so."
    This doctor had also recommened using Minoxidil in the morning and Kera XL before going to bed, and I'd been following that for a few weeks and seen results. I think I might start doing that again.
    I don't think I want to start using Propecia because of it's side effects, I know only a small percentage suffer from them, but I already use Ketoconazole, which has caused ED and low libido.
    If "some studies" show that the effectiveness of Kera-XL is greater than that of minoxidil, then we must have access to "some studies" so that we may see for ourselves. If "this doctor" recommends what and why, then we must have the name of "this doctor" so that we may check his qualifications and his work and see why he does so. Transparency is king and absolutely necessary to shed the snake oil label.

If they do happen, side effects of propecia/finasteride are not permanent because your body will flush it out in no time once you stop taking the medicine. Given the extremely low chance of getting sides and the ability to quickly remedy them if they happen by getting off the meds, I think that it's almost no-strings-attached to try out fin/propecia. The risk is almost all in the head and almost none in reality and the reward is that it's the most effective proven weapon to fight hair loss. I think that the science about hair loss is decently laid out and until something comes along that can be shown to be as effective/better than what we currently have, the Big 3 reigns and anything else that's $30/bottle/month is more than likely useless.

I don't get paid or anything like that by advocating for fin/propecia. I just remember when I saw that I was losing my hair I felt really shitty and the Big 3 has done wonders for me. If you look around this and other hair loss forums, you will see much of the same as well as many sad stories about hair loss due to fear of sides and/or turning to unproven snake oils. I just want to help other men reach the right decision without going up in the NW scale first and learning the hard way because I bet that would feel even shittier than how I felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    If "some studies" show that the effectiveness of Kera-XL is greater than that of minoxidil, then we must have access to "some studies" so that we may see for ourselves. If "this doctor" recommends what and why, then we must have the name of "this doctor" so that we may check his qualifications and his work and see why he does so. Transparency is king and absolutely necessary to shed the snake oil label.

If they do happen, side effects of propecia/finasteride are not permanent because your body will flush it out in no time once you stop taking the medicine. Given the extremely low chance of getting sides and the ability to quickly remedy them if they happen by getting off the meds, I think that it's almost no-strings-attached to try out fin/propecia. The risk is almost all in the head and almost none in reality and the reward is that it's the most effective proven weapon to fight hair loss. I think that the science about hair loss is decently laid out and until something comes along that can be shown to be as effective/better than what we currently have, the Big 3 reigns and anything else that's $30/bottle/month is more than likely useless.

I don't get paid or anything like that by advocating for fin/propecia. I just remember when I saw that I was losing my hair I felt really shitty and the Big 3 has done wonders for me. If you look around this and other hair loss forums, you will see much of the same as well as many sad stories about hair loss due to fear of sides and/or turning to unproven snake oils. I just want to help other men reach the right decision without going up in the NW scale first and learning the hard way because I bet that would feel even shittier than how I felt.
    This is the site - http://www.justanswer.com/dermatolog...spoke-few.html
    I can't find the other site where I found the info on biochanin and collagen, but I'll search for it.

Hi I'm going through pretty much the same thing at the moment. I also struggle a lot but you've just got to try to remember life is about doing the best with what you've got, you can still live a good life without looking like Brad Pitt. Use your hairloss as motivation to achieve things in other areas of life to compensate, such as working hard and getting a good job or get really good at an instrument. Good hair is all well and good but its a small part of the make up of a person.

Get on fin (ignore the noisy minority who have had sides) and who knows what there will be there in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    This is the site - http://www.justanswer.com/dermatolog...spoke-few.html
    I can't find the other site where I found the info on biochanin and collagen, but I'll search for it.
    I really don't want to hijack someone's thread and make this an argument between you and me so this is probably the last I'll post here unless you want to start a whole new thread asking about this Kera-XL. You are clearly grabbing straws in this case bro. Your one cited case is for a single female and women deal with a completely different type of hair loss than us men. We are in the business of fighting male pattern baldness, a different beast with completely different available treatments. The strongest FDA approved treatment that is women have available to them is 2% minoxidil which is about as effective as the non FDA approved Nizoral (Ketoconazole) shampoo, the weakest out of the Big 3, and even then minoxidil doesn't deal with the hormones that causes hair loss in the first place. If finasteride was available to women, I'm sure they would take it up as much as we men do and not venture too far into shits like this.

Where are the studies showing that Biochanin-A combats 5AR production? If so, is it the correct 5AR type? How much of the 5AR production is blocked? Where are the studies showing the effective concentration/dosage of this stuff? Where are the controlled clinical trials? Are you even sure it's for men? You have a ton of questions you still need to answer and you can't really be serious when you stand by something so obscured that its research/ingredients can't even be googled and then try to put it up against something as transparent as finasteride. Fin has been tested on thousands of people with all results made public not to mention testimonies from hundreds if not thousands of people like myself on hair loss forums that will tell you it works and works well.

I started a new thread in Hair loss treatments.

Zan, I feel for you, brother. I can only share with you what I am convinced will work for most men and which has been confirmed through a randomized blind study. It is a rather simple process of once weekly derma-roller microneedling using a 1.5 millimeter dermaroller followed by application of twice daily 5% Minoxidil. I am currently using this methodology and seeing results that are satisfying. Please read the study for yourself at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Update by David M.: Zan and everyone else, I want to update the above website address. Try ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    In a time where my life is supposed to be beginning, it feels as though it's already impaired.

Were I to lose my hair, which, evidently I am, I would simultaneously lose what little self esteem I have.

Though the discovery of my receding hairline was an ephemeral moment, the penalty will be for life. The gravity of this discovery has been ringing throughout my mind for a week now, and I can't take it much longer.

Some may laugh at how badly I'm taking this news but I really couldn't less.
    This was very painful to read, because it's true - I was the same, and I think most guys on this forum would recognise these feelings. Compared to starvation, disease, war etc, male pattern baldness is small potatoes. But it ruins lives. I went from a depressed young man to suicidal, and I remember in the 90s reading an interview with a trichologist who said that 2 of his early patients, devastated by their MPB, had committed suicide.

I hope that the OP has found a way to deal with things and get on with his life.

^
    Society be damned. This is why I encourage people to have a healthy and supportive circle of friends around them. Life is too valuable to lose over hair. Now I will share a story about a coworker experiencing MPB and completely shaved his head, took on physical fitness classes, goes on hikes every weekend, and living life better than before!