+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default WCHR 2013 Topic Follicle neogenesis by DP Cells @Dr. Nigam's

Kindly find below the abstract which was discussed at WCHR 2013 Edinburgh which I visited recently and had a interaction with Collin Jahoda on the same. Scientific minded members can discuss it further for hair follicle neogenesis

P220

Human hair follicle neogenesis using microvironmentally reprogrammed dermal papilla cells

click the below link for enlarge image
    http://www.drnigams.net/images/poster/Large/1.JPG

http://www.drnigams.net/images/poster/Large/2.JPG

CA Higgins, CA Jahods2 and AM christiano 1.3 Department of Dermatology, Columbia University, new York, USA , 2 Biological and Biomedical sciences, Durham University, Durham UK and 3 Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York,USA

Hair Follicle (HF) neogensis refers to the generation of an entirely new HF in recipient skin using HF dermal papilla (DP) cells. This has been extensively demonstrated in rodent skin , either using intact DP or using intact Dp or using caltured DP cells. In contrast , HF neogensis in human skin has not previously been achieved using human cells. We performed global transcriptional profiling of both intact and cultured Dp cells using Affymetrix U133 Plus 2.0 array , which revealed several pathways expressed in intact5 DP , which are capable of neogenesis , but absent in caltured cells, that lack the micro environmental and anatomical context of intact DP is to grow the cells in hanging drops, which results in the formation of DP spheroids. We then profiled DP spheroids for changes in gene expression and determined that the average correlation coefficient between the transcriptomes of intact DP and the cultured cells is 0.42 , whereas that between the intact DP 3D culture. To evaluate whether recapitulation of the DP signature equated to a restored inductive potential, we established a contextual human – to – human HF neogenesis assay that could be used to assess the inductive capacity of human DP cells in human skin. When we micro implanted DP spheroids into recombined foreskins placed onto the back of SCID mice, we observed marked HF neogensis by 6 weeks, showing for the first time that intact human DP can induce de novo human HFs. We conclude that the partial restoration of the transcriptional profile in human Dp cells, achieved simply by growing the cells in a 3d spherical microenvironment, is sufficient in some instances to restore the inductive capacity of Dp cell cultures and elicit human HF neogenesis.P220

Default Question for Dr.Nigam about his London clinic

Hey Dr. Nigam

Just wondering what the latest news is in regards to you opening a clinic in London. You stated previously that you wouldbe in London in between the conferences in Scotland in order to finalise arrangements for your UK clinic. How did the meeting go? Please can you clarify again exactly what treatments you will be able to offer in your London clinic when it opens.

Thanks.

UK,
    My surgeon who is GMC,uk licensed will visit LONDON next week for consulting potential patients.He or patient counsellor will come once a month for consultations.
    Which means in the first phase we will offer consultations at LONDON.We have a new comapaign..FLY BALD...FLY MUMBAI..where we take care of the patients stay and airfare as the visit for treatment at mumbai clinic.
    I can offer doubling at LONDON in future..but now as on today because there is still lot of MPB research to be done..which takes away most of the time..i do not want to shift my focus..
    Similarly my surgeon and or counsellors will visit top cities in months to come...
    It makes sense to focus on cure and research..FLY BALD...FLY MUMBAI..would be the first step..so that my time is saved..at this point of time...
    Idid had meetings which top 2 LONDON HT surgeons at HARLEY STREET,Few at edinburgh in the congress ,also saw few places at harley street,
    I will exchange some mails with them(btw prices are exorbitant even for 3 staff run simple fue,7.5pounds per fue graft)..and i myself is not decided yet..whether to start my own or in partnership or train the local docs on doubling....but frankly..i want to focus on research..a lot of work still to be done..i do not want to be away from the lab..at least 6 months more...

Quote Originally Posted by UK Boy View Post
    Hey Dr. Nigam

Just wondering what the latest news is in regards to you opening a clinic in London. You stated previously that you wouldbe in London in between the conferences in Scotland in order to finalise arrangements for your UK clinic. How did the meeting go? Please can you clarify again exactly what treatments you will be able to offer in your London clinic when it opens.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drnigams View Post
    Kindly find below the abstract which was discussed at WCHR 2013 Edinburgh which I visited recently and had a interaction with Collin Jahoda on the same. Scientific minded members can discuss it further for hair follicle neogenesis

P220

Human hair follicle neogenesis using microvironmentally reprogrammed dermal papilla cells

http://www.drnigams.net/images/poster/Large/1.JPG

http://www.drnigams.net/images/poster/Large/2.JPG

CA Higgins, CA Jahods2 and AM christiano 1.3 Department of Dermatology, Columbia University, new York, USA , 2 Biological and Biomedical sciences, Durham University, Durham UK and 3 Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York,USA

Hair Follicle (HF) neogensis refers to the generation of an entirely new HF in recipient skin using HF dermal papilla (DP) cells. This has been extensively demonstrated in rodent skin , either using intact DP or using intact Dp or using caltured DP cells. In contrast , HF neogensis in human skin has not previously been achieved using human cells. We performed global transcriptional profiling of both intact and cultured Dp cells using Affymetrix U133 Plus 2.0 array , which revealed several pathways expressed in intact5 DP , which are capable of neogenesis , but absent in caltured cells, that lack the micro environmental and anatomical context of intact DP is to grow the cells in hanging drops, which results in the formation of DP spheroids. We then profiled DP spheroids for changes in gene expression and determined that the average correlation coefficient between the transcriptomes of intact DP and the cultured cells is 0.42 , whereas that between the intact DP 3D culture. To evaluate whether recapitulation of the DP signature equated to a restored inductive potential, we established a contextual human – to – human HF neogenesis assay that could be used to assess the inductive capacity of human DP cells in human skin. When we micro implanted DP spheroids into recombined foreskins placed onto the back of SCID mice, we observed marked HF neogensis by 6 weeks, showing for the first time that intact human DP can induce de novo human HFs. We conclude that the partial restoration of the transcriptional profile in human Dp cells, achieved simply by growing the cells in a 3d spherical microenvironment, is sufficient in some instances to restore the inductive capacity of Dp cell cultures and elicit human HF neogenesis.P220
    This is MASSIVE news!! It seems to have escaped the forum quite how massive it is.

The reason Aderans, Replicel etc have underperformed expectations has long been suspected to be because DP/DSC cells lose their inductive capabilities when multiplied.

These HM technologies were expected to be available by now and capable of regenerating a full head of hair. They didn't, because of this problem.

Now Jahoda and his fellows have identified the cause of the problem and partially identified a solution. If they can solve it fully, we might finally be back on track.

Thanks Pate. I feel a lot of this goes over our heads, mine included. Some clarification with regards to a more laymens explanation is always appreciated.

This is great Dr. Nigam and thank you for your efforts.

However, I've said it once, and I'll say it again, dermal papilla cells losing their inductive potential is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SoClose View Post
    This is great Dr. Nigam and thank you for your efforts.

However, I've said it once, and I'll say it again, dermal papilla cells losing their inductive potential is not a good thing.
    Eh ? The whole key here is that growing them in 3d spheres results in the DP cells (partially) retaining their inductive potential. The researchers think that it's only partial because of the 'lack of a hair epithelial influence in the assay" (these epithelial cells are normally adjacent to the DP cells). If they solve that problem too, then we're getting REALLY close

Anyway, this is indeed massive news and we're one really important step closer to a REAL cure !

@Dr Nigams: Thanks for this ! But can you maybe review your text and correct the errors, since it makes it a bit hard to read now. For example it seems this sentence is lacking something:
    "We then profiled DP spheroids for changes in gene expression and determined that the average correlation coefficient between the transcriptomes of intact DP and the cultured cells is 0.42 , whereas that between the intact DP 3D culture". And there are some more errors, it would be highly appreciated if you can review and correct the text. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Eh ? The whole key here is that growing them in 3d spheres results in the DP cells (partially) retaining their inductive potential. The researchers think that it's only partial because of the 'lack of a hair epithelial influence in the assay" (these epithelial cells are normally adjacent to the DP cells). If they solve that problem too, then we're getting REALLY close

Anyway, this is indeed massive news and we're one really important step closer to a REAL cure !
    Ok, I'll try and remain positive. I just indulged in the sort of behaviour I despise. All we can do is wait. Or rally the FDA.

Quote Originally Posted by drnigams View Post
    In contrast , HF neogensis in human skin has not previously been achieved using human cells.
    This I don't understand though. Isn't this exactly what Team Tokyo did ? They, just like these researchers, grew human HF on SCID mice. From what I understand the only difference is that Team Tokyo used existing DP cells, where these researches succeeded at using cultured DP cells (via growing them in 3d spheres). Which is of course a HUGE thing, since we need to be able to multiply these cells.