+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Looks matter

Default Do Looks matter

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3917414/.../t/face-value/

By Keith Morrison
    NBC News
    updated 1/13/2004 10:02:44 AM ET

Anybody who watches reality TV knows that when it comes to landing a date with a beautiful woman, the "Average Joe" doesn't stand much of a chance against a handsome hunk. But does the preference for physical attractiveness go deeper than just romance? Even when looks shouldn't count -- for instance, at a bank or the doctor -- are beautiful people treated better than everyone else? With our hidden cameras watching, Dateline set up some tests to find out.

Everybody knows how much importance we attach to beauty, maybe too much sometimes. But have you ever wondered how different life might be if you were just a little better looking?
    Anthony Bernard and Allison Meiersonne are models. Good looks help them make a living. Both of them know they are lucky -- it's what they were born with. But we wondered if their genetic advantage in the beauty department could be helping them in ways they never imagined?
    For example, would a stranger come to their aid before assisting an average-looking person? Might they be receiving better service from repair people? Do people trust them more, just because they're good looking?

“A person's physical attractiveness -- the look that they're basically born with -- impacts every individual literally from birth to death,” says Dr. Gordon Patzer, dean of the College of Business Administration at Roosevelt University. He's spent 30 years studying and writing about physical attractiveness. “People are valued more who are higher in physical attractiveness. As distasteful at that might be, that's the reality.”
    Valued more? We wondered and decided to find a group of average, nice looking individuals and super, highly attractive people to test this attractiveness phenomenon. We looked for people with similar traits: the same race, no discernible accents, similar age groups. That way the focus would be exclusively on attractiveness.

So we hired models Anthony and Allison, and asked two NBC employees, Loren and another Anthony, to hit the streets, a bank, an auto shop, and even ride the bus, all the time wearing hidden cameras to see just how much looks matter.

First, we gave our foursome folders filled with papers and had them drop the contents on a New York City street. Would anyone stop to help?
    When model Allison drops her file, there seems to be a sudden change in the weather. Is it raining men? A man even uses his cane to stop the pages from flying away.

“It was just amazing how people would flock to me to clean it up,” says Allison. “I have dropped my purse and wallet and people always help me pick it up. But I never really thought about if somebody else dropped their wallet, maybe they wouldn't help them. It just seems strange to me.”
    NBC staffer Loren is about to be that someone else. She drops the papers and people step by, rather than stop. About a dozen people pass by before, finally, a woman offers help.

But that's nothing compared to our other NBC colleague, Anthony. When he drops the folder, the sidewalk literally clears. Even as he spreads out the papers he's supposedly collecting, people just walk on by.
    “I thought, hey I’m dressed in a shirt and a tie,” says Anthony. “I looked pretty professional, so maybe someone may stop and help me out. And people just kept stepping over.”

“I felt embarrassed,” says Loren. “You know wait a second, I think I’m somewhat attractive. Why didn’t anyone help me?”
    Model Anthony wouldn't know how that feels. He drops the folder and immediately an entire family stops to help. We wondered if this was just random chance, or is something else going on? We asked Dr. Patzer about our findings.

“That was a classic example of everything we find in the scholarly research that we do,” says Dr. Patzer. “Those of higher physical attractiveness are automatically or immediately assisted, provided help.”
    And, as we saw with the family helping Anthony, it's not just about appealing to the opposite sex. While our research was not scientific, Dr. Patzer says more controlled studies do show people go out of their way to help attractive people of the same and opposite sex because they want to be liked and accepted by these good looking people.

We watched for this willingness to help when our test subjects stood on the street for five minutes seeming hopelessly lost, not asking anybody for assistance, just waiting to see if any kind soul would notice and stop.
    Our NBC volunteers had no luck, but our super-attractive models were a different story. Allison had lots of helpers. A man even rolled down his car window to offer assistance. And model Anthony? He’ll never be lost.
    Advertise | AdChoices

“I would hold my map and I’d be looking at the map and looking around and

I’d make eye contact with someone and boom, they’d be reeled in,” says Anthony.

“The lady walks past him, comes back, offers a large explanation of the layout of the city, but even does an ultimate trust…and offers the general part of the city in which she lives,” says Dr. Patzer. “So it verifies very well again we trust more those people of higher physical attractiveness.”
    Trust? We watched to see what would happen when our subjects ask passersby for change of a dollar. Everyone did pretty well here, but there were differences, especially when it came to trust.
    Many people did not stop or respond to NBC’s Anthony. But for model Anthony, not only did more people stop, but they seemed to feel Anthony was safer, more honest. Like foreign tourists who weren’t even sure how much change equals a dollar, so they held out their money and let Anthony take the correct amount.

“We had situations where people were going out of their way to try to do stuff for us that other people didn't get,” he says.
    For Allison, even if people couldn't find the change to give her, they would offer helpful suggestions. And she says that people just start conversations with here, something we saw when she and Loren went for a bus ride during rush hour. We wondered if anyone would offer them a seat. While sitting proved not to be an option for either of them that morning, one man, who starts out standing equidistant between Loren and Allison, strikes up a conversation with Allison for the entire bus ride.
    Ive always had my suspicions that good looking people are generally happier, and this is why.

No help for the Norwoods then.

Tell you something now, but if that model suddenly went to either NW4567 his life would be turned on its head, no more help in the streets he'd have to get google maps like the rest of us baldies.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    No help for the Norwoods then.

Tell you something now, but if that model suddenly went to either NW4567 his life would be turned on its head, no more help in the streets he'd have to get google maps like the rest of us baldies.

****ing depressing man.

Why can't hairloss be a treatable condition. I wouldn't mind it if I could properly treat it without potentially ****ing my endocrine system up.

God has a way of playing sick jokes on men.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    ****ing depressing man.

Why can't hairloss be a treatable condition. I wouldn't mind it if I could properly treat it without potentially ****ing my endocrine system up.

God has a way of playing sick jokes on men.
    Science works crazy fast now-a-days, man. And hey, now that they found the higgs-boson, maybe the best and brightest can quit dicking around and get back to what matters: MPB.

All that aside, there is a lot of nice stuff going on. I'm giving it until December when Histogen releases it's year-end results. If they aren't good or if one of these new chemicals hasn't done something amazing by then, hey, there is always alcoholism.

Yep good-looking people have better lives. And just think, some are born ugly, physically weak/unhealthy, and mentally handicapped.
    There isn't a god but that's alright. If there was one he'd obviously be a sick, twisted piece of garbage more deserving of 7 billion middle fingers than a single word of praise.

****ing depressing man.

I don't give a shit about my endocrine system if I could only grow back all my hair.
    There is one side effect that concerned me about taking fin: gyno. Because it looks bad.
    I would give up a kidney to be rid of this problem (hair loss).

PS I'm in a bit of a bad mood right now, nobody should take this post too seriously or be offended by it of they can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    ...hey, there is always alcoholism.
    I can always count on you to lift my spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Science works crazy fast now-a-days, man. And hey, now that they found the higgs-boson, maybe the best and brightest can quit dicking around and get back to what matters: MPB.

All that aside, there is a lot of nice stuff going on. I'm giving it until December when Histogen releases it's year-end results. If they aren't good or if one of these new chemicals hasn't done something amazing by then, hey, there is always alcoholism.
    May hit the bottle. **** it. Become another delinquent.

With that said, I do have faith in Histogen.

It does make me wonder though, if I didn't have to worry about hairloss, how much more I would get done. Same goes for others.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Yep good-looking people have better lives. And just think, some are born ugly, physically weak/unhealthy, and mentally handicapped.
    There isn't a god but that's alright. If there was one he'd obviously be a sick, twisted piece of garbage more deserving of 7 billion middle fingers than a single word of praise.

I don't give a shit about my endocrine system if I could only grow back all my hair.
    There is one side effect that concerned me about taking fin: gyno. Because it looks bad.
    I would give up a kidney to be rid of this problem (hair loss).

PS I'm in a bit of a bad mood right now, nobody should take this post too seriously or be offended by it of they can help it.
    The problem is, what if say Histogen comes out with something decent, and then you want to get off fin, but your whole endocrine system crashes upon giving it up.

What then?

The problem is, what if say Histogen comes out with something decent, and then you want to get off fin, but your whole endocrine system crashes upon giving it up.

What then?
    I have no concerns about that. When I quit fin I will wean off, and if I get persistent sides, I guess I'll say "thanks for the extra 6 years of hair" (guesstimating Histogen's release date) and probably go the route Davey suggests before launching myself in a stolen rocket ship directly into the sun.

But seriously, I understand your concerns, I'm not saying you're going the wrong route. Only you can way the pros and cons for yourself. I just know there's no way in hell I'm living my 20s with everyone noticing my hair loss. For me fin was an easy choice. I've been on it almost 2 years, so if I'm the type to crash hard when I quit, I've already sealed my fate.

Wish me luck, I might need it.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I have no concerns about that. When I quit fin I will wean off, and if I get persistent sides, I guess I'll say "thanks for the extra 6 years of hair" (guesstimating Histogen's release date) and probably go the route Davey suggests before launching myself in a stolen rocket ship directly into the sun.

But seriously, I understand your concerns, I'm not saying you're going the wrong route. Only you can way the pros and cons for yourself. I just know there's no way in hell I'm living my 20s with everyone noticing my hair loss. For me fin was an easy choice. I've been on it almost 2 years, so if I'm the type to crash hard when I quit, I've already sealed my fate.

Wish me luck, I might need it.
    My hairloss is incredibly slow, still very thick hair, just a NW2. I just hope it stays this way.

What were your results on fin?