+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The April article mentions anagen entry within 7-9 days. Similarly on humans, Campfire man took 2 weeks to see regrowth. I wonder why SM04554 is being applied for 90 days, when lasers and fire took less time.

By the way I have always heard of Campfire man but finally found the original article from the British Medical Journal (December 1986). The 78 year old man fell out of his armchair into a coal fire.

Quote Originally Posted by macbeth81 View Post
    The April article mentions anagen entry within 7-9 days. Similarly on humans, Campfire man took 2 weeks to see regrowth. I wonder why SM04554 is being applied for 90 days, when lasers and fire took less time.

By the way I have always heard of Campfire man but finally found the original article from the British Medical Journal (December 1986). The 78 year old man fell out of his armchair into a coal fire.
    Yeah. This is probably the most legit thing we have going... yet nobody pays any attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by macbeth81 View Post

SM's phase 1 trial was testing only 14 days. Phase 2 is for efficacy and safety, and probably want a good idea of what it can do with continued use on Norwood 4-6.

Quote Originally Posted by It's2014ComeOnAlready View Post
    This looks good, but it aims to activate the WNT pathway, same as SM04554, and SM is much closer than this.
    SM is five years away. These lasers treatments are available all over the US and the world RIGHT NOW (albeit they use it on peoples faces and not their scalps)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    SM is five years away. These lasers treatments are available all over the US and the world RIGHT NOW (albeit they use it on peoples faces and not their scalps)
    lol SM is not 5 yrs away. They're almost done with phase 2, which is an 11 month trial. Phase 3 should be around the same length of time because they need to test it for 90 days for each participant. If it gets FDA approval, that's another 10 or so months, so we're looking at under 2 yrs.

You yourself said you don't know anything abt SM. Don't proclaim to know its progress.

So why doesn't someone try the lasers on their hair to see if this causes regrowth in humans as opposed to mouse?

Induction of De Novo Hair Regeneration in Scars After Fractionated Carbon Dioxide Laser Therapy in Three Patients

THOMAS M. BEACHKOFSKY MD1, J. SCOTT HENNING DO2 andCHAD M. HIVNOR MD2
    Article first published online: 14 APR 2011

DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.01934.x

© 2011 by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Inc.

http://laserinmedici...n disorder.pdf

Results
    Fractional ErYAG laser treatment was well tolerated, with slight stinging
    phenomena during laser procedure. In all patients, the initial reactions to treatment
    consisted of erythema and minimal swelling in the treated areas; the patients reported a
    burning sensation but no significant pain. The erythema lasted between 2 and 10 days
    (mean, 4.6 days), and its severity was correlated with the initial erythema level.
    In all patients sclerosis regressed greatly, skin score markedly decreased and
    dermoscopy findings objectively showed a reduction of amount of cicatrisation, skin
    hardness and dischromia. At the end of the follow up period number of hair follicule in
    the treated zone increased greatly.

The role of vascular endothelial growth factor in fractional laser resurfacing with the carbon dioxide laser

Abstract
    The aim of this study was to analyze the role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in mechanisms of cutaneous remodeling induced by fractional CO2 laser treatment. The dorsal skin of Kunming mice was exposed to a single-pass fractional CO2 laser treatment. Biopsies were taken 1 h, and 1, 3, 7, 14, 28 and 56 days after treatment. Skin samples VEGF expression was evaluated by immunohistochemistry and ELISA, fibroblasts by hematoxylin-eosin staining, and types I and III collagen by ELISA. Staining for VEGF was found in many types of cell including fibroblasts. The amount of VEGF in the skin of laser-treated areas had increased significantly compared to that in the control areas on days 1 and 3 (P?<?0.05, P?<?0.01, respectively), then decreased by day 7 after treatment and returned to the baseline level. The number of fibroblasts in the skin of the laser-treated areas had increased significantly compared to that in control areas on days 3, 7, 14, 28 and 56 after irradiation (P?<?0.05, P?<?0.01, P?<?0.01, P?<?0.01, P?<?0.01, respectively). The amount of type I collagen was significantly higher in the skin of the laser-treated areas compared to that in control areas from day 28 to day 56 (P?<?0.05, respectively), and type III collagen was significantly higher from day 3 to day 56 (P?<?0.05, P?<?0.05, P?<?0.05, P?<?0.05, P?<?0.01, respectively). There was a positive correlation between the level of VEGF and fibroblast proliferation early stage after laser treatment (r?=?0.853, P?<?0.01), but there was no correlation after the first week (r?=??0.124, P?>?0.05). The amounts of type I and III collagen showed no significant correlations with the expression of VEGF in the late stages after laser treatment (r?=?0.417, P?>?0.05 and r?=?0.340, P?>?0.05, respectively). The results suggest that VEGF might be mainly involved in the early stages of wound healing, including the stages of acute inflammation, fibroblast proliferation and vessel formation induced by fractional CO2 laser resurfacing

Clinical effects of non-ablative and ablative fractional lasers on various hair disorders: a case series of 17 patients

Abstract

Background and objectives: Both ablative and non-ablative fractional lasers have been applied to various uncommon hair disorders. The purpose of this study was to demonstrate the clinical effects of fractional laser therapy on the course of primary follicular and perifollicular pathologies and subsequent hair regrowth. Materials and methods: A retrospective review of 17 patients with uncommon hair disorders - including ophiasis, autosomal recessive woolly hair/hypotrichosis, various secondary cicatricial alopecias, pubic hypotrichosis, frontal fibrosing alopecia, and perifolliculitis abscedens et suffodiens - was conducted. All patients had been treated with non-ablative and/or ablative fractional laser therapies. Results: The mean clinical improvement score in these 17 patients was 2.2, while the mean patient satisfaction score was 2.5. Of the 17 subjects, 12 (70.6%) demonstrated a clinical response to non-ablative and/or ablative fractional laser treatments, including individuals with ophiasis, autosomal recessive woolly hair/hypotrichosis, secondary cicatricial alopecia (scleroderma and pressure-induced alopecia), frontal fibrosing alopecia, and perifolliculitis abscedens et suffodiens. Conversely, patients with long-standing ophiasis, surgical scar-induced secondary cicatricial alopecia, and pubic hypotrichosis did not respond to fractional laser therapy. Conclusion: Our findings demonstrate that the use of non-ablative and/or ablative fractional lasers promoted hair growth in certain cases of uncommon hair disorders without any remarkable side effects.

Read More: http://informahealth...172.2013.764436

Up-regulation of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) 9 expression and FGF-WNT/?-catenin signaling in laser-induced wound healing

Abstract
    Fibroblast growth factor (FGF) 9 is secreted by both mesothelial and epithelial cells, and plays important roles in organ development and wound healing via WNT/?-catenin signaling. The aim of this study was to evaluate FGF9 expression and FGF-WNT/?-catenin signaling during wound healing of the skin. We investigated FGF9 expression and FGF-WNT/?-catenin signaling after laser ablation of mouse skin and adult human skin, as well as in cultured normal human epidermal keratinocytes (NHEKs) upon stimulation with recombinant human (rh) FGF9 and rh-transforming growth factor (TGF)-?1. Our results showed that laser ablation of both mouse skin and human skin leads to marked overexpression of FGF9 and FGF9 mRNA. Control NHEKs constitutively expressed FGF9, WNT7b, WNT2, and ?-catenin, but did not show Snail or FGF receptor (FGFR) 2 expression. We also found that FGFR2 was significantly induced in NHEKs by rhFGF9 stimulation, and observed that FGFR2 expression was slightly up-regulated on particular days during the wound healing process after ablative laser therapy. Both WNT7b and WNT2 showed up-regulated protein expression during the laser-induced wound healing process in mouse skin; moreover, we discerned that the stimulatory effect of rhFGF9 and rhTGF-?1 activates WNT/?-catenin signaling via WNT7b in cultured NHEKs. Our data indicated that rhFGF9 and/or rhTGF-?1 up-regulate FGFR2, WNT7b, and ?-catenin, but not FGF9 and Snail; pretreatment with rh dickkopf-1 significantly inhibited the up-regulation of FGFR2, WNT7b, and ?-catenin. Our results suggested that FGF9 and FGF-WNT/?-catenin signaling may play important roles in ablative laser-induced wound healing processes.

Fractional Photothermolysis Laser Treatment of Male Pattern Hair Loss

BACKGROUND Various trials have been conducted on the management of male pattern hair loss (MPHL). A variety of laser and light sources have been used for the treatment of MPHL.

OBJECTIVE To understand the effects of a 1,550-nm fractional erbium-glass laser on the hair cycle in an alopecia mouse model and to study the clinical effects of the same laser used as treatment for MPHL.

MATERIALS AND METHODS Irradiation was applied to the shaved skin of C3H/HeN mice using various energy and density settings and varied irradiation intervals. In a clinical pilot study involving human subjects, 20 participants were treated over five sessions at 2-week intervals. A fractional photothermolysis laser was used at the energy of 5 mJ and a total density of 300 spots/cm2.

RESULTS In the animal study, the hair stimulation effects were dependent upon the energy level, density, and irradiation interval. The anagen conversion of hair and the increase in Wnt 5a, ?-catenin signals were observed. In the human pilot study, incremental improvements in hair density and growth rate were observed.

CONCLUSIONS This pilot study showed that a 1,550-nm fractional erbium-glass laser might induce hair growth, but more intensive studies are required to clarify the clinical applications of this treatment.

The authors have indicated no significant interest with commercial supporters.

Induction of De Novo Hair Regeneration in Scars After Fractionated Carbon Dioxide Laser Therapy in Three Patients

THOMAS M. BEACHKOFSKY MD1, J. SCOTT HENNING DO2 andCHAD M. HIVNOR MD2
    Article first published online: 14 APR 2011

DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.01934.x

© 2011 by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Inc.

Needhairasap I appreciate your efforts but I think that there are two issues:

1. They haven't gotten the laser method of hair regrowth figured out completely. All the T's are not crossed and all the I's are not dotted.

2. Just because the FDA let's you use lasers on the back doesn't mean the FDA will let you use lasers on the head.

I made the mistake of getting laser hair removal on my back and after wasting ~3000$ , i came to the conclusion it didn't work and there was more hair on my back when i had started. That was 14 treatments to be exact. I would joke around with the girls who worked there saying they should use it on my head because it doesn't do a dam thing to take hair off, just more grows. I'm aware the properties of hair on my back are not the same as on the top of my head, so i don't know if it would work the same. but it makes me feel like this could be a possible way to help hair grow back on my head seeing how the before and after of my back hair laser treatments went.