+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE short term and FUT long term investment?

What is the general consensus out there? I've been contemplating getting a hair transplant for years now. The front of my hairline has thinned out quite significantly and it's beginning to become more and more noticeable. I don't want to become dependent on drugs and also from my understanding, remedies such as Rogaine and Propecia don't help with frontal hair loss, rather it only deals with the crown.

Anyways, my father is bald (he's in his 60s), pretty much a NW7 and my older brother is bald too (he's 33, I can't place what he is on the Norwood scale since he's been shaving his head since he was like 23). I'm currently 27 and by comparison I'm doing much better than my older brother. If my father is any indication I will eventually be a NW7 in the future. Hence my dilemma…

I'm deciding between FUE and FUT, both have their pros and cons. From what I've read, if I get an FUE the amount of hair that is transplanted won't be nearly as much as an FUT, which means that if I ever need another transplant in the future I will have less donor area. If I go with the tried and true method of FUT, it means more hair overall transplanted, but a hideous scar for the rest of my life.

So what's the consensus or your opinion? What is the smarter option and the better investment? Overall, I think FUE is great for short term, but FUT would be more suited for a longer term investment. Am I wrong? Am I stupid in my rationale? Please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Default Hideous Scar

I wouldn't assume if you do a FUT you will have a hideous scar. If you go to a top doctor the chances of a hideous scar seem to be pretty low. I've had an FUT and the scar is not hideous, it's about what they tell you 1-2 mm can be covered with a 3-4 guard clipper. In any case you'd have to take Propecia at your age. I take it with no side effects. I'm 33 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post
    What is the general consensus out there? I've been contemplating getting a hair transplant for years now. The front of my hairline has thinned out quite significantly and it's beginning to become more and more noticeable. I don't want to become dependent on drugs and also from my understanding, remedies such as Rogaine and Propecia don't help with frontal hair loss, rather it only deals with the crown.

Anyways, my father is bald (he's in his 60s), pretty much a NW7 and my older brother is bald too (he's 33, I can't place what he is on the Norwood scale since he's been shaving his head since he was like 23). I'm currently 27 and by comparison I'm doing much better than my older brother. If my father is any indication I will eventually be a NW7 in the future. Hence my dilemma…

I'm deciding between FUE and FUT, both have their pros and cons. From what I've read, if I get an FUE the amount of hair that is transplanted won't be nearly as much as an FUT, which means that if I ever need another transplant in the future I will have less donor area. If I go with the tried and true method of FUT, it means more hair overall transplanted, but a hideous scar for the rest of my life.

So what's the consensus or your opinion? What is the smarter option and the better investment? Overall, I think FUE is great for short term, but FUT would be more suited for a longer term investment. Am I wrong? Am I stupid in my rationale? Please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
    If you are destined to be a NW7 you are going to have to get on something that can stop the hair loss or you will never get a good result, unless you have exceptionally dense hair. There is only so much hair that can be moved. realistically most people have around 6 to 8k worth of grafts from donor. Thats not enough to cover your whole head with any type of thickness. Now a NW6 is a lot different because you would be high on the sides and back. I would get on propecia to see if it is going to work for you if it doesn't its likely a HT is a bad idea. You will always be chasing your hairloss and the end result won't be very good.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

If the chase is worth the illusion of coverage, the long-term goal must be realistic for advanced hair loss sufferers. The hair characteristics of one individual can result in acceptable and positive outcome.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Balding Bad View Post

Thanks in advance!
    As 'Stevedawg18' mentioned, with a good doctor, the scar(s) would be undetectable. I'm not insinuating anything whether FUT is better or not than FUE.

I've had 3 FUT HTs, last one in June 2016. The first two are undetectable and I expect my third/last will be as well. According to your description, you may have NW3 just like what I had. (Examine my profile and my pix.)

There are a lot of FUT clients on YouTube documenting their experiences, showing the back of their heads (donor sites). I highly recommend you search for these people. Use "hair transplant experiences" in the YouTube search box.

Wishing you best of luck.