Wink Going in for my SMP session this week. Nervous

Hello everyone. I have a session scheduled for this week in new york. I'd guess my pattern is a diffuse norwood 6 and transplants really wouldn't give me a good result. My hair loss is diffuse and I'm still currently on minoxidil nizoral and have stopped finasteride (personal choice due to sides). I feel the minoxidil hasbhelped thicken the existing hair and in the photos the top is longer than the sides. In brighter light the hairloss is way more apparent. I really don't know what to expect from the smp procedure. I had a consultation with a place that gave me a much lower price quote than what I will be paying now. I chose a different clinic because it seemed to have the best artist of the company and I felt this was too important of a life decision to risk with someone inexperienced. Anyhow, please take a look at the photos and let me know if you think SMP is the way to go. No one in public has seen me without my hat on in years, its really crippled my confidence to lose my hair. Just want to feel in control of my life without spending every penny on expensive surgeries that might not yield anything but regret. Any input is appreciated.
    Attached Images

A transplant might "not look good" as you believe, but SMP over these thin hairs? It's not a good idea at all. And I've consulted to get SMP in Belgium. They would tell you tell you that it's a bad idea right away. How would you look under harsh lights, have you thought about that?

I had a FUE hair transplant, as a NW5 going on 6. Now I'm only 5 months after the procedure and the coverage won't be amazing, but if I cut my hair the length you cut yours in your pictures, I look like I've had SMP already! The difference is that it's actual hair growing out of my scalp. You can take a look at my current result here: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16218

My advice: think carefully before going through with this. Consider other options.

thanks. the idea is to actually shave down to a buzzed look, not keep my hair at this length as that would definitely look unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    A transplant might "not look good" as you believe, but SMP over these thin hairs? It's not a good idea at all. And I've consulted to get SMP in Belgium. They would tell you tell you that it's a bad idea right away. How would you look under harsh lights, have you thought about that?

I had a FUE hair transplant, as a NW5 going on 6. Now I'm only 5 months after the procedure and the coverage won't be amazing, but if I cut my hair the length you cut yours in your pictures, I look like I've had SMP already! The difference is that it's actual hair growing out of my scalp. You can take a look at my current result here: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16218

My advice: think carefully before going through with this. Consider other options.

Ive considered FUE as well. your results look really great so far, I wish you all the best. I think my hairloss is a bit more widespread than yours, I really was considering FUE or neograft despite the high cost but I was discouraged due to the severity of my hairloss already as well as the high risk of having a bad result. I would not be able to recover financially from several expensive surgeries.
    I have yet to see anyone with SMP done in person, I would love to meet up with someone in the PA/NY/NJ area who has had it done to see their result. Cant ever tell if the testimonials on all these hair loss forums are real people or shills...

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post

Philly, SMP will work great for you, you have diffuse thinning, so the pigmentation will act as a nice density filler. Keep the hair at a short buzz and it will work great. If in the future you continue to thin, itll be an easy transition, as you'll already have SMP as a security.

Any other questions let me know ill be happy to help out.

-Matt

Hey Matt, just returned from my initial session. Probably about 4 hours in all. The process was pretty much painless. Really about a 1 or 2 out of 10 at worst, I dozed off a few times. There was really a lot of work needed in my case so I'm glad I picked someone experienced. Probably won't say who or what company until I see the final result. I think the initial session was fairly conservative and under intense flash lighting its apparent some additional work is needed. I did not trim down my hair as much as I was supposed to so I won't post pictures until the second session. A little dissapointed the diffuse hair i still do have wont be much use to me as i have to basically razor shave anyway. I felt no pain leaving the office and no itching yet. Redness is pretty minimal. I still will be rocking a hat for a few weeks until things are finished up. Hoping for the best, right now undecided as to whether this was a wise decision.