+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: bimatoprost

Default Hair Loss Solution

So when is the next big hair loss solution?

The answer is unfortunately totally unknown. Many people on here talk about Histogen and Aderans, and those have some potentially significant upcoming dates that you can find in other threads. Allergan is supposed to have an upcoming trial on the stronger formulation of Bimatoprost that is supposed to start in the next three months, and we should probably hear about the results at the end of 2014 or so. If it's successful, the product might not be on the market for 5-6 years after that. The new Follica/Cotsarelis information is pretty interesting, but as far as I know there's no way to know what the timeline is for any products they're developing.

There might not be any viable treatments in our lifetimes. There might be one in ten to twenty years. There could be one in the next five years. No one knows if anything is going to come about, not even the most knowledgeable researchers in the world like Dr. Cotsarelis. But we are living in a time, the very first time I believe, when very sophisticated medical research is really leading to an understanding of the mechanisms of hair loss and applying that understanding to developing treatments. There is reason for some cautious optimism but I personally don't think anything is right around the corner, although Histogen/Aderans supporters might disagree. At this time, I remain interested in Bimatoprost and will be watching the developments over the next year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee133 View Post
    There might not be any viable treatments in our lifetimes. There might be one in ten to twenty years. There could be one in the next five years.
    Follica already has the cure. Bam, our lifetime.

Default Follica Cure

What cure does Follica have? Give me a link for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee133 View Post

There might not be any viable treatments in our lifetimes. There might be one in ten to twenty years. There could be one in the next five years. No one knows if anything is going to come about, not even the most knowledgeable researchers in the world like Dr. Cotsarelis. But we are living in a time, the very first time I believe, when very sophisticated medical research is really leading to an understanding of the mechanisms of hair loss and applying that understanding to developing treatments. There is reason for some cautious optimism but I personally don't think anything is right around the corner, although Histogen/Aderans supporters might disagree. At this time, I remain interested in Bimatoprost and will be watching the developments over the next year and a half.
    Agree with this 100%, alot of reason for cautious optimism but unfortunately this biotech industry moves at SUCH a slow pace I cant imagine anything significant being done without going grey market and taking a few risks.

I think histogen will come out and give you a solid 20-30% hairloss boost which is great, but full-out cures and alternatives wont be coming in the next few years, unless we go out ourselves and buy a product in early trials, which in itself is very risky!

judging from the latest theories, it seems to me that it wont be one single thing that cures your hairloss, but a combination of 2-3 different medicines(say PGD2 inhibitors, wounding/FGF9 to kickstart the cell, then PGE2 supporters) PGE2 we have in a minor way with say Minoxidil or the oils i believe, PGD2 we are very close to finding something grey market wise, however the major need may be that FGF9 wounding process, which I dont believe we may be able to do ourselves yet.

I think single medicines like histogen may reinforce and boost your hair, or FIN may maintain your hair, but i think the process to actually reverse hairloss will take multiple things.

Default Follica

Quote Originally Posted by Chris511026 View Post
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-0...ring-hair.html

they dont necessarily have a cure, just more of a decent sounding theory. this came out a couple weeks ago.

Default Maintenance

I think single medicines like histogen may reinforce and boost your hair, or FIN may maintain your hair, but i think the process to actually reverse hairloss will take multiple things.
    Do you think there will be an alternative to FIN that maintains hair and prevents further hair loss in the next five years?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris511026 View Post
    Do you think there will be an alternative to FIN that maintains hair and prevents further hair loss in the next five years?
    100%, PGD2 inhibitors seem to be a good near-future candidate for that. Just about finding the right one which alot of forumers are trying to figure out.

you already have RU, as well as CB(but the vehicle needed for that needs to be figured out) for current alternatives.

There are ALOT of near-future options for alternatives to fin, but thats strictly talking maintenance.

Yes, unfortunately I don't think Follica has a cure yet, although their latest news release and the discovery of the FGF9/wound healing link that they described in the Nature article is very interesting and promising. I think there may have been a little confusion as their press release stated that they had achieved follicular neogenesis for the first time, but it seems that most people that have read it closely agree that this was referring to the results of an earlier (I think around 2007) wounding trial and not the results of something based on the most recent FGF9 research. So the idea is that going forward they would be using that earlier wounding system with some other kind of chemicals that they will identify as a result of the FGF9 research.

Still, good news. I think it's very likely that if a "cure" comes about it will be from Follica/Cotsarelis and this line of research, and I don't think there's another academic out there that has been working towards a cure so consistently and made so much progress. In order to get to the end point there have to be many many steps in between, and while those steps may be frustrating in comparison to the desired end goal, we're not going to get there without them.