+ Reply to Thread

Default 27 y/o Male, Going Full Bore

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the site, and somewhat new to attacking my balding issue. I am currently taking a full bore approach to my hair loss, which I would like to share my approach. A little back story first.

I started noticing my hair thinning about 2 years ago, at which time I started applying Rogaine Foam. I used it for a year or so, and didnt really think about tracking my progress. I got sidetracked and stopped applying the foam.

So about 6 months ago I noticed my crown and hairline was thinning badly, and decided to give it everything I had to try and fix the problem. I did a ton of research on Propecia, Rogaine and herbal supplements and came up with a plan. For the past 3 months I have been following the regime shown below:

1) Proscar cut into 4ths every morning
    2) Rogaine 5% topical every mornign and night.
    3) Nioxin Shampoo or equivalent every morning
    4) Herbal Supplements: Ginkgo Biloba, horsetail, biotin, fo ti, saw palmetto, stinging nettle, dong quai, multivitamin.

I didn't take before pictures I started, but I am planning on taking microscope pictures every month or so to try and track my progress (I have access to a nice microscopic camera with LED lights on it). I feel like I have noticed a pretty big shed, and if I look closely in the mirror I can see short hairs growing on my hairline. I cant really tell about the crown yet though, until I get the camera ready.

I wanted to know that you think about this approach. I wonder if this approach is overkill. The reason I feel this way is because saw palmetto, proscar, stinging nettle and dong quai are all thought to block DHT conversion. Would proscar itself block DHT production effectively by itself, or do you think the added herbs will aid in the blockage? The rogaine, ginkgo biloba, horsetail, biotin and fo ti all seem to work by increasing blood flow to hair follicles thus increasing nutrient absorption. The affects of the herbal supplements are obvious not "proven" by modern science, but there seems to be quite a bit of a following behind it.

SIDE NOTE:

Over the past few years I have noticed that as the hair on my head falls out, more and more hair sprouts up on my back. I had an idea that I wanted to get your take on. If I waxed my back hair, eventually damaging and killing the follicle, would more nutrient rich blood flow to my head since its not supplying nutrients to my back hair? Its kind of a crazy ides, but in my head it only makes sense that it would.

Thanks for reading!

Sounds like a good plan, exiting that you are seeing growth on your hairline, I experienced the same on 5% Regaine. There's no need to take Saw Palmetto and Proscar though, as they both do the same thing.

I was thinking about possibly adding Retin-A into the mix, as I have heard it boosts absorption of the Rogaine into the scalp.

Does anyone have any other "Full Bore" solutions I can add to my regime to turbo boost my results?

Laser comb is a scam......
    scalp massages?

Default Baseline Pictures

Two pictures of my "baseline" balding. You can see the crown is pretty severe, but isnt completely bald. You can also see the crown connecting to the front hairline in a Y shape.

I have the camera set up. Does anyone have advice as to what I should be looking for that hints at growth? Closer follical spacing. Thin hairs sprouting from existing follicles? Thin hairs sprouting from space where there is no visible follicle?

Any advice would be great! I want to document this as closely as I can!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	16878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.jpg

Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	16879  

Default Microscope Pictures

I took some microscope pictures of my crown and the healthy hair on the back of my head.

It seems that the healthy hair sections grow in triplets, while the balding sections don't. Also, you can see the skin on the balding section to be whitish, while the healthy section looks marbled with red (veins?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison hair 9.19.12.jpg

Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	16880  

Quote Originally Posted by casem0 View Post

4) Herbal Supplements: Ginkgo Biloba, horsetail, biotin, fo ti, saw palmetto, stinging nettle, dong quai, multivitamin.

SIDE NOTE:

Over the past few years I have noticed that as the hair on my head falls out, more and more hair sprouts up on my back. I had an idea that I wanted to get your take on. If I waxed my back hair, eventually damaging and killing the follicle, would more nutrient rich blood flow to my head since its not supplying nutrients to my back hair? Its kind of a crazy ides, but in my head it only makes sense that it would.

Thanks for reading!
    4) Waste of time

SIDE NOTE - Waste of time