+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please somebody help me! i'm scared.

Hey guys,
    I'm 19 and I am suffering from hair loss. My hair loss started when i was around 15/16 but it is starting to get noticeable now. My hair loss began as a result of over-useage of hair dye. I've been told that my hair loss isnt because of the over-useage of hair dye but i am 100% sure that it is because i remember when i was 15 i looked in the mirror and my hair looked thin at one side. From the age of 11 to 15 i dyed my hair blonde about 10 times. At one stage when i was 15 i dyed by hair about 5 times in 1 week because i wasnt happy with the colour and i am sure this triggered my hair loss. My hair is thinning by the temples and I have a receeding hairline. I really dont know what to do now. I always make up excuses and I am in denial that i am losing my hair. Sometimes i look in the mirror and think thats it okay but other times i get severely depressed about it and i wonder why is this happening to me. The worst thing is when my friends have their hair styled in a class way, i just get so jealous. I have thought about suicide on many occassions. I dont have the courage to do something about my hair loss. I keep telling myself that I will do something but i just dont have the courage. This is having a huge effect on me and my life. I know there are more important things in life but losing my hair is really killing me. I am scared what i might do to myself. Please, I just need some good advice and help. I'm scared.

Thank you.

Default I have added photos of my hairline here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20130323.JPG

Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	20029

Name:	Snapshot_20130323_3.JPG

Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	20030

Name:	Snapshot_20130323_4.JPG

Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	20031

Default more photos. opinions please!

Name:	Snapshot_20130323_10.JPG

Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	20038

Name:	Snapshot_20130323_11.JPG

Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	20039

Default but as u can see here, i can hide my hairline!

Name:	Snapshot_20130323.JPG

Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	20035

Name:	Snapshot_20130323_8.JPG

Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	20036

Name:	Snapshot_20130323_9.JPG

Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	20037

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm 19 and I am suffering from hair loss. My hair loss started when i was around 15/16 but it is starting to get noticeable now. My hair loss began as a result of over-useage of hair dye. I've been told that my hair loss isnt because of the over-useage of hair dye but i am 100% sure that it is because i remember when i was 15 i looked in the mirror and my hair looked thin at one side. From the age of 11 to 15 i dyed my hair blonde about 10 times. At one stage when i was 15 i dyed by hair about 5 times in 1 week because i wasnt happy with the colour and i am sure this triggered my hair loss. My hair is thinning by the temples and I have a receeding hairline. I really dont know what to do now. I always make up excuses and I am in denial that i am losing my hair. Sometimes i look in the mirror and think thats it okay but other times i get severely depressed about it and i wonder why is this happening to me. The worst thing is when my friends have their hair styled in a class way, i just get so jealous. I have thought about suicide on many occassions. I dont have the courage to do something about my hair loss. I keep telling myself that I will do something but i just dont have the courage. This is having a huge effect on me and my life. I know there are more important things in life but losing my hair is really killing me. I am scared what i might do to myself. Please, I just need some good advice and help. I'm scared.

Thank you.
    Hello,

Okay well first thing is first, it's not the dye that's triggered your hair loss, it's your genes. A portion of your testosterone gets converted to the hormone known as DHT, this happens to every male, however your hair follicles are sensitive to DHT and as the DHT attaches itself to your hair follicles the hair becomes minaturised and eventually falls out. That's why you're losing hair, it's not the hair dye.
    So your options are as follows, you can get a set of clippers and eventually buzz your hair off and keep it short or you can go and see your doctor and discuss the medications available to you which are finasteride and minoxidil. Minoxidil is a topical hair growth solution and finasteride is a strong medication that inhibits testosterone to DHT conversion by about 60 to 70%. This means that it gives your remaining hair follicles a chance to recover so to speak, however this is a treatment and not a cure which means you have to constantly take it for as long as you want to keep your hair.
    With any medication there are chances of side effects which your doctor will discuss with you.
    Your third option is surgery, which is very expensive. So go and speak to your doc and see if you think medication is for you, or go down the clippers route, or start saving the pennies for surgery.

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. It’s seems at your young age the only option would be medication. Personally I don’t believe hair is worth lifelong use of medication but that is a personal decision weighing risk vs quality of life.

The other option is shaving it down or buzzing it close to the scalp. Maybe start working out if you’re not already, get a tan and just go for a different look. Try it for year you might find that it works for you.

First things first, you are gonna have to man up and decide what it is you want to do. Either you want to do something about your hairloss or just accept it and carry on with your life. These are your only two choices to be honest with you. It's obvious from the pictures you have MPB so if you want to try and stop it consider Minoxidil, Finasteride and Regenepure/Nizoral shampoo. They are known as the "Big 3" and are really the only options we have today to treat hereditary hairloss unless you want to try some unproven methods. Otherwise you can just buzz it and live your life content with your baldness. Suicide isn't a solution brah!

i'm never going to be bald. i have promised myself that. I am going to fight this till the end. Thanks guys for yere comments. I am optimistic now. If i can maintain and thicken the hair follicles I have left and just wait for the break through in hair restoration, i'll be sorted.

Hi townie.

Go to your doctor and discuss the possible side effects of finasteride and minoxidil.

The third one is a shampoo called Nizoral. If the doc gives you the green light then start taking all three of these meds.

Hopefully this will drastically slow , stop and even in some cases reverse the hair loss.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi Townie , You have received some very good and helpful advice here. Don't be scared anymore(i dont think you are). You have the knowledge now to fight the hair loss. Another great factor is your AGE. Stave off the DHT until the better treatments (and dare I say-'cures'?) are provided to us all.
    Kayman, the synopsis you provided Townie was worded perfectly my friend. Good LUCK Townie!