Worried about Post-Op look - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Worried about Post-Op look

Dear all;

Been suffering with hair loss for around 8 years now. I've decided I finally want to do something about it.

Have finally decided I will go ahead and get a hair transplant next year with Hasson & Wong (I did my research for some time and they seemed like the best bet for FUT).

However I have one issue.

I can only take one week in total off work; this is also not going to change for the next couple years (yeah I know it sucks majorly)

I would therefore have the surgery on the Monday; but then I would have to return to work the following Monday.

I am not allowed to wear hats in my line of work; also my work would not be cool/understanding with me demanding to wear a hat or something for the first couple days back.

I also don't have long hair or anything like that so couldn't cover it up with my haircut.

Any suggestions? Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg

Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	49115   Click image for larger version

Name:	front top.jpg

Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	49116   Click image for larger version

Name:	from above.jpg

Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	49117   Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg

Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	49118   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg

Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	49119  

Well, i hate to tell you this but it's going to look bad after only a week. You are just going to have to suck it up and tell people at your work what you had done if they ask or you just want to break the ice with a joke. You will have a lot of scabs and redness where they transplanted the hairs and extracted them. Only thing I could suggest is ask the Dr for any kind of spray or cream that will help speed up the healing process. That may make it look a little better but reality is that you will look like you had something done for up to 1 month post op. I've had 2 HT's and usually by the end of the first month is when i start to look normal again, no redness or scabs. Things are different for everyone but that is generally the timeline, you could be a little faster or slower....all depends.

Goodluck and try not to worry about what people think, time will go by really fast.

Hi,

Here is the timeline to show you of a HW patient i just pulled off a blog to help you.

Pre op :

1 week post op

2 weeks post op

4 weeks post op

Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hair transplantation surgery may be an entirely new concept for you. Your physician might have suggested you to have a hair transplantation surgery because perhaps that is the only way your hair can be restored.

Of course invest in a reputable surgeon. Find a clinic or surgeon whose sole focus is on hair transplants rather than practicing hair transplants part time. Avoid place which favor FUE or FUT over one another.

Not all hair restoration procedures have the same effect. Not all of them are as smooth as the latest methods as in FUE hair transplants. If your doctor suggests you FUE method for your hair transplant procedure. Do not worry that much. After surgery process is very comfortable.

"I am not allowed to wear hats in my line of work; also my work would not be cool/understanding with me demanding to wear a hat or something for the first couple days back. "

You'll find that if you just get it done and let it look bad for a few weeks people will be very understanding. It's a legitimate medical procedure that strongly contributes to male wellbeing and happiness, even if you're in a high end corporate line of work like investment banking people LIKE and RESPECT someone who is prepared to take care of themselves, and comfortable with the quality of their work that they don't have to worry about petty things like a wound on your head. At worst you could wear a bandage and say something fell on your head. People are more understanding than you think. Also, you can't get fired or reprimanded for appearance issues relating to a medical procedure. There are laws against that.

Sorry to break it to you, but currently your head and hair looks like an ugly mess. It couldn't get any worse, wound or no wound. Most who have lost as much as you just shave it off, currently you look like someone insecure about their hair but without the balls to actually do something about it. No matter what line of work you're in, people like someone who takes initiative and is secure in themselves, and their actions. If you have the money, take the plunge and be a man about it, you won't regret it.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromTheUK View Post
    Dear all;

Been suffering with hair loss for around 8 years now. I've decided I finally want to do something about it.

Have finally decided I will go ahead and get a hair transplant next year with Hasson & Wong (I did my research for some time and they seemed like the best bet for FUT).

I can only take one week in total off work; this is also not going to change for the next couple years (yeah I know it sucks majorly)

I would therefore have the surgery on the Monday; but then I would have to return to work the following Monday.

I am not allowed to wear hats in my line of work; also my work would not be cool/understanding with me demanding to wear a hat or something for the first couple days back.

I also don't have long hair or anything like that so couldn't cover it up with my haircut.

You should be able to wear a head dressing with a doctor's note.
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromTheUK View Post
    Dear all;

If you're sticking with strip surgery you're simply going to have to deal with the facts of post-hair transplant aesthetics. Having worked at H&W for over a decade (in the past) and having had so many surgeries with Dr. Wong I'm more familiar with what you'll haver to deal with than just about anyone. For me, it was never an issue but I have always been one, from the beginning, to not be concerned with what others think because I learned early on that six months later no one will remember.

This is how you're going to have to look at the procedure because one week post-op will have your recipient looking pink and to cover your staples, which will stay in for ten to fourteen days, your hair will have to remain long enough to hide them. Even then, once they come out, you will most likely want to have your donor hair cut shorter to match the very short hair in the recipient area, since those hairs will have to be shaved for the procedure.

My observations about your case is that your hair loss seems to be rapid if you've only been losing for eight years. How old are you and are you taking preventative medications such as finasteride or minoxidil?
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Inactive

I was very fortunate to be able to wear a hat for the first 4 weeks or so after my hair transplant, so in a way I got off easy and didn't have to tell anyone unless I wanted to. I told my employers and coworkers that I had a "medical procedure" and needed to keep my scalp covered. In general, people were respectful and didn't push for more information, but for those that were particularly nosy and inquisitive, I simply told them I had a small, annoying, harmless cyst removed and I had an allergic reaction to the local anesthesia that made my scalp break out. It was a simple enough story that didn't raise any more questions or cause people to be overly concerned.

I know you say your line of work won't permit you to wear a hat, and though I'm no lawyer, I suspect that if you have a note from a doctor saying you need to wear a hat for medical purposes, legally you should be able to do so without any issues. My employers didn't bat an eye, and I found a nice professional "paper boy" style hat that worked perfectly.

All of that said, Joe is right that in 6 months, nobody will even remember you had anything done. I recently casually mentioned my hair transplant to a friend I had "confided in" when I was in the recovery phase, and she had completely forgotten all about it. Most people are more concerned with their own struggles/insecurities to spend too much time thinking about those of others. Furthermore, every single person I told about my hair transplant found it fascinating and were all super intrigued. Even a friend of mine who is always very vocal about being against plastic surgery and anything of the sort was very supportive. I was sure she would have some snide remarks to make, but she could not have been more excited for me.

If you have to go back in a week you can just tell your boss that you had a medical issue that you are getting treated and you need to wear a hat for some time. What can they say to that? See if H+W will give you a note if you are really worried. At 1 week if you do not cover up it will be obvious what you had done. You will need to cover up for, realistically, a month or so before you look semi normal.