+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should I resume back Minoxidil treatment?

I have been on proscar since 2 years ago. Have started minoxidil (Growell 5%) since last year February. Have been on minoxidil for 8 months but seems no improvements. And I have noticed increased in shedding after stop treatment on last October. My shedding(about 80 to 100 hairs per shampoo wash) has not stopped till now. How long will this shedding last? Is 8 months treatment enough to determine its effective on my scalp? Should I resume back my minoxidil treatment.. I am afraid to go on through this whole cycle again..
    Anyone can kindly advise on this?
    Thanks!

I have heard it can take up to 1.5 years to see the full results of minoxidil. If you started shedding when you discontinued minoxidil, I would say minoxidil was working for you. It helped keep the hair you started shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I have heard it can take up to 1.5 years to see the full results of minoxidil. If you started shedding when you discontinued minoxidil, I would say minoxidil was working for you. It helped keep the hair you started shedding.
    But mine has been shedding for 4 to 5 months since the time I stop minoxidil..normally how long does the shedding last after discontinuation of minoxidil?

That is a long time for a post minoxidil shed. I have heard that after discontinuing minoxidil you will start losing everything you gained after about two months. How long the shed lasts though, I am not sure.

In my case, I was never convinced that minox had any positive improvement either. Not sure it was responsible for any shedding or not. It's hard to know, particularly when so many thing affect hair growth and loss. I read a paper recently that stated only 40% of people get a positive effect and they hypothesised that it was because not everyone has the active enzyme needed for it to work. I also read something else recently that taking aspirin stops minox from working. ...and I had to laugh that I actually take aspirin on and off. But anyway, I stopped using minox a few weeks ago. Am actually much happier for having stopped. I like that my hair is no longer dry and straw like. I figured that because I never noticed any improvement from minox, I shouldn't notice any major loss when I stop. Only time will tell I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    In my case, I was never convinced that minox had any positive improvement either. Not sure it was responsible for any shedding or not. It's hard to know, particularly when so many thing affect hair growth and loss. I read a paper recently that stated only 40% of people get a positive effect and they hypothesised that it was because not everyone has the active enzyme needed for it to work. I also read something else recently that taking aspirin stops minox from working. ...and I had to laugh that I actually take aspirin on and off. But anyway, I stopped using minox a few weeks ago. Am actually much happier for having stopped. I like that my hair is no longer dry and straw like. I figured that because I never noticed any improvement from minox, I shouldn't notice any major loss when I stop. Only time will tell I guess...
    So how long u have been on minoxidil previously? How many times u apply per day? I have been applying once per day for 8 months but seems no improvement.. Should I stop or resume back to give it a 2nd try?

Keep using and apply twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    So how long u have been on minoxidil previously? How many times u apply per day? I have been applying once per day for 8 months but seems no improvement.. Should I stop or resume back to give it a 2nd try?
    I used minox for close to two years applying it twice per day as directed. I increased the dose to 1.5ml to 2ml for a while, mainly because my hair was longer and it was hard to get the coverage with just 1ml.

Taking it only once per day isn't as per directed on the bottle. Although, apparently it stays in the skin for about 24 hours. Is there something stopping you from using it twice a day?

Whether you stop or continue, that's completely up to you. If you stop, then you probably know that your hair is definitely not going to improve, if you keep going, then there's a chance (maybe only slight) that your hair will improve or at least not get worse. You got to ask yourself, why do I want to stop? Versus why do I want to keep going? And ask yourself if your expectations of hair improvement from it are reasonable/realistic? How much improvement in what time frame is necessary for you to keep going? For many guys, they don't mind using it everyday, it doesn't screw up their hair, they don't mind the cost, and so, even if the results aren't fantastic, it's no big deal.

In my case, I didn't like how it dried out my hair and made it straw like. That's not so bad when I have really short hair, but when I grow it longer, it sucks. So because I want to grow it longer and because I can't just stop and start all the time, weighing this against not seeing noticeable improvement, then I've decided to quit it. I might add though that I'm taking finasteride and recently dutasteride (as well as nizoral shampoo twice a week). So it's not like I'm quitting everything.

Good luck!

Talking

My shedding don't seem to stop after I use minoxidil for 8 months and stop for 4 months and recently restart back for around 1 month. I have been shedding for 1 year and not yet stop ( average hairloss around 50 strands per shampoo) Does anyone experience the same situation as me when having minoxidil treatment ? By the way, I only apply once per day during nighttime.. Does applying once have any adverse effects? Pls share your experiences and views. Thanks!

Dude, your hair cycles naturally.

Minox and fin are approved treatments. You're looking for bad, counting hairs. You need to just take the treatments and move on.