+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Default Dr Feriduni FUE 2463 dense pack +Acell over 2 days on a 37 year Male NW2.5, 25-26 Jan

I want to start the thread with thanking 3 people/groups:
    First a big thanks to Spencer Kobren for this great site with a ton of information for anyone considering going down the HT route or feeling down due to hair loss.

Secondly thanks to the community, the guys and women, who posts on this forum with news, info, experiences that I have used and made me feel comfortable and ready to take on such life changing event as a HT.

The community is the key reason I and probably many others have not fallen into, what I would consider the 3 death sins of HT:
    1. Let me combine my summer vacation with a HT, it is easy and I am used to multitasking
    2. Let me save EUR 2000 to go to Turkey to get a HT, after all, if it does not work, I have only lost little money (and 2000 donor grafts, but who is counting...)
    3. Let me save the travelling cost and time and go with a local or at least a doctor from the same region/continent, after all the before and after pictures anyway all look the same on the websites…

Finally a big thanks to Dr. Feriduni and his entire team in Hasselt for making me feel like the center of the universe for 2.5 days with everything arranged like business class travelling and a treatment second to none.

After all the thanking, it is time for me to give something back to the community, so here goes. Not sure I am a real HT veteran yet, but never the less I had my first HT 2 days ago. Since this site and a few others have helped me tremendously in finding the right HT doctor, manage my expectations, understand the difference between the procedures and prepare myself for accurate downtime, time off work etc. I want to give back to this great community the most objective post, that I can give of my experience with the IAHRS member - Doctor Feriduni.

Below is as objective, as a (so far) happy patient can be:
    I have split the information into 3 posts to help those, who just want a quick review and those who want all details:

First Post (this one): Short background and the actual hair transplant in numbers and key info + pictures

Second + Third Post: More details of the HT and how the experience was + some more pictures

My story in a short summary (I have posted before):
    37 year old Scandinavian male with a hair loss pattern of NW2-3.
    I have been lurking here for 2 years initially researching, and thereafter became member in early 2010. So for previous 4 years I have been reading and researching. I work in a conservative industry in a suit & tie and with customers up close daily. I started loosing my hair in early 20'ies, until 31 it was still ok, but slowly and island of hair was formed in the forelock, and high receded temples. I have been on proscar cut 1/4 (finasterid) for 2 years and minoxolid in the crown (basically no side effects, it has halted my loss and had good re-growth in the crown). My family history of NW3-4 as max, but nobody with a full head of hair.

I started out 4 years ago believing I had to go for a strip 2-3000 grafts. Then made a short list of H&W, Rahal or Feller. Then later changed my mind to FUE after more research and more hair loss. Made a new short list with Rahal, Feller or Feriduni (contacted 2 of them and ended up choosing Dr. Feriduni, due to chemistry, hairline designs, size of HT and reputation). I have to say I have huge respect for all the IAHRS Docs mentioned above, that I just listed and cannot say, that anything that I found or felt was negative, just had to choose one in the end.

My HT in numbers:
    Dr. Feriduni FUE 2463 dense pack with Acell over 2 days
    Donor supply 96 per sqm
    Total theoretical donor supply with FUE 12500
    Very conservatively calculated donor supply 7-8000 with FUE in minimum 4 sessions (Feriduni told me that his record so far was 10K+ in I think 6 sessions)

Hairs:
    1's : 675
    2's : 1478 = 2956
    3's/4’s: 312 = 1030
    Total app 4660 hairs

Dense pack placement density 60-65 grafts/sq cm just behind the soften hairline, going down to 35 grafts/sq cm further back.
    In the pictures you can see me just pre-op, post-op on the first day and post-op second day and the donor area.

Conclusion:
    I have to stress, that it is too early for me to conclude anything. The final result is 12-15 months away still, but I am happy with the design of the hair line, the way the procedure was done, and the attitude and behavior of the entire team at the Feriduni clinic. I will try to post monthly in this thread with picture updates.

Any questions are welcomed and comments to the hair line etc…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	preop front.jpg

Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	13226   Click image for larger version

Name:	preop left.jpg

Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	13227   Click image for larger version

Name:	preop right.jpg

Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	13228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Postop front.jpg

Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	13229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Postop left.jpg

Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	13230   Click image for larger version

Name:	postop full.jpg

Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	13231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up donor postop.jpg

Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	13232   Click image for larger version

Name:	postop.jpg

Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	13233  

Default Dr Feriduni FUE 2463 dense pack +Acell over 2 days on a 37 year Male NW2.5, 25-26 Jan

The 2 days HT in more details:

DAY -1
    Arrived the night before, and the clinic had arranged everything. Taxis to and from airport and to and from the clinic and the hotel. All very professional, and I did not have to think about any practical things. I felt like it was business class all the way.

The hotel was great and apparently used for most of their patients and the same with the taxi company, so they were all used to see shaved down men with a bit of blood in the front and back.

DAY 1:
    I had breakfast as 07.00 after a fairly good night's sleep. I did however have an early waking up, with a bit of doubt - even after all these years of research, but I managed to shake it off quick.

The clinic had ordered a taxi, and I arrived at the clinic at 07.55 – it is some 8 minutes drive in taxi from the hotel.

I was welcomed by the doctor and an office rep, all really pleasant, professional and polite. The office was top modern with top IT and interior. I changed into surgery clothes and was offered drinks and fruit. I received some legal papers to sign, when I have read them carefully. It was all really standard but sake good order I had some questions, and they were explained by the doc to my satisfaction.

Then I spend 2 hours in Dr. Feriduni's office alone with him to discuss my expectations, concerns and questions and making initial hairline design. The Doc had 50+ examples with similar hair loss or wishes like mine and the outcomes, so had my own screen to check it all out, while he was browsing through his picture files.

He took pictures of my donor and my crown and explained, which hairs were healthy and which might die in near future. It looked very positive for my age. We then did the same for the temples, where my situation was a lot less positive. The area behind the forelock/island of hair was quickly receding and worsening still after using proscar for 2 years. We also discussed family history and he checked and counted my donor supply and calculated that theoretically I had 12500+ graft for FUE. He said that very conservatively he could do easy 8-9000 in 4-5 operations, if I would ever need them.

The Doc said he did not believe I would go beyond a NW3.5 which is like my grand farther today who is 85. So expected worse case for me seemed to be that I would need one day 500 for the island of hairs maybe in 5-10 years + another up to 2000 in the bridge behind my now finalized HT, in case proscar should stop working in 10 years.

Everything was professional, detailed and with me in the center all the time. No questions were left unanswered or hurried through. I had a long page with 30 questions or so, mainly on risk and concerns.

Then we discussed the hairline in more detail. I wanted a conservative, lifelong, symmetric (but natural) and dense hairline, but not lowered below my island of hair. Just closing my temple points in similar design, as my own hairline some 12 years ago - I brought pictures of myself as a 25 year old, and a few pictures of Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and some other "heroes".

He drew the hairline he would recommend, and I put it up 2 mm or so, and he had nailed it exactly, as I wanted and as I remember my hair (I always had high temples even in my early 20'ies). During the discussions he took pre-op pictures and pictures of the indicated hairline.I felt comfortable and excited, but of course a little nervous about the procedure itself, the potential pain etc., but it was all for nothing.

At 09.55 the actual HT procedure started. The Doc gave me some relaxer and thereafter local anesthesia which was done by several small injections. I do not like needles, but this was less painful, or on par with a dentist appointment.

Then he showed me the punches 0.85-0.9 mm special punch tools and the technicians, the head nurse and a nurse, both with some 15 years HT experience started extracting the grafts from the back of my head. They were working like clockwork, the Doc came in every 30 minutes and had a look and left again. I was lying face down for several hours, this was not nice, but it was doable. The last 100 grafts or so the doctor extracted himself, speed and style was exactly the same as the nurses.

After what felt like a long time with a few small breaks, where I could roll my shoulders and one where I went to the toilet, the extractions were done.

Then the doctor started doing all the incisions, he cut with micro blades, some 2300 places, really tight and clean work, I saw it in the mirror. After the incisions the two nurses started implanting the grafts based on whether it was 1’s, 2’s, 3’s or 4’s grafts – the hairline was saved for the doctor, who planted this in the end.

Not 100% sure about the time, but believe the whole thing took some 7 hours for the first days app 2100 grafts extraction, bathing the grafts in Acell, the incisions and the placement. There was planned a lunch, but we delayed it to after 16.45.

In the end the doc sprayed Acell on the recipient area and the nurses gave me a bandaged on.

I had a sandwich, drinks and some chocolate bars after the HT, I felt fine, but was quite tired, but no pain what so ever. A nice nurse went detailed through my night package with vitamin spray, pillow cover, U-shaped pillow, pain killers and papers with the Docs number etc.

Then the Doctor came and asked if everything was fine, and made sure I have understood the night instructions and the next day’s timing and plans.

Then the taxi was ready, and it was back to the hotel. I was tired but fine. I ordered room service and had dinner. Around 22.00 I took the last pain killer and went to bed and slept 1-2 hours at a time, with the U shaped pillow from the night package. This night’s sleep was not comfortably, but I got some total sleep of 4-5 hours.

Day 2 is in the next post.

The attached pictures are:
    A closeup picture of my donor area 96 per sqm
    A closeup picture of my crown.
    Extracted grafts from day 1 - all really nice, with no torsion and lots of tissue to protect them. Actually looking more like grafts from a strip
    My hairline
    Picture of a target hairline (Ben Affleck) age appropriate and conservative in my opinion.

Name:	Close up donor area preop.jpg

Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	13234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up crown.jpg

Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	13235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extracted grafts.jpg

Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	13236   Click image for larger version

Name:	harline shaven.jpg

Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	13237   Click image for larger version

Name:	target.jpg

Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	13238  

DAY 2:
    I decided to have breakfast in the lobby early at 06.30, so there would be few people in the room. I wore my surgeon paper-cap on, so no one could see my bandages with blood formation in the back and incision holes in the front.

The taxi was there 07.45 and I was off again to the clinic for second round.

Second day was similar to the day before, the doctor welcomed me and asked about my night. I changed clothes. The doc gave me some relaxer and then the anesthesia and then the nurses started to extract the last 360+ grafts, this time from my sides above my ears.

The doctors made a few more incisions and then the nurses placed app 300 of them and the doctor placed the last in the hairline.

This time we were finished around 12.00. I had lunch, drinks etc and then I sat with the Doctor and went through all the pictures he had taken, he burned a DVD with them all and we looked at the hairline in the mirror, and he asked of my opinion.

Then we discussed expected growth, transection rates for the HT app 5-10% over the two days, capping rate as high as 20% in some small areas, due to the small diameter of the punch tool and my many 3s and 4s with thin hairs (capping means that the nurse made a punch, but did not manage to extract the graft, so I got a small scar, but no graft and potentially in some cases lost 1 or 2 of the hairs in that graft). I am not 100% sure about the exact numbers, so will try to get this from the operation report, when it is done next week.

I then asked what he thought about the procedure and he said, that the grafts had been easy to extract, had good tissue, looked healthy and they had to use little force and torsion, as well as the graft had a short “out of body period”, so even without Acell, he would have given these the best possible chances for good growth.

The same nice nurse went through my farewell-home package with all papers, info, bandana, pain killers, shampoo, vitamin sprays, oils etc

Then the office rep came with the final invoice, and I was informed, that I would only have to pay for the 2400 grafts, the last 63 was for free.

The Doctor came to say goodbye, we agreed I would come in shortly the next day to have my scalp washed by a nurse, the Doctor would not be in office, as he had a conference overseas. So we said goodbye, I told him, I was very happy so far, and I promised him to send some pictures in a week or two and stay in touch. I thanked him and the staff for a very good experience.

Next day I was in for a few hours to get my scalp washed gently, and thereafter I killed some time in one of the clinics room, (a place where nobody was looking at me) before I got some help to get the bandanna on, and was off with taxi to the airport. At security they actually asked me to take off the bandanna, but after explaining them that I was not pretty underneath, and that the clinic had placed it on me, they let me through wearing it.

Now sitting a 2 days after with very puffy and swollen eyes, just as the Doc had informed me (but me being the big optimist, believed I would of course be the special 1%, not getting it from dense packing  well I guess not)

I will end with the positives, negatives and one interesting observation:
    Positives:
    Basically everything. Just read through my three posts, I am so happy and just waiting to see the grown out result in 12-15 months, which I have to stress I cannot judge at this point, but I will do my best to post app. monthly pictures and give my views on it. I have high hopes but of course, without a final good result, the rest is unimportant.

Negatives:
    I really struggle with this one. I basically have no negatives. So I thought long and hard for good feedback to him. As I am a business man myself, to ask myself if I would change anything, if I owned the Feriduni Hair clinic. I guess only a minor thing comes to mind:

More visibility of the Feriduni Clinic’s results on the websites:
    I know he does not need a bigger waiting line of clients, as you already need to wait 3-5 months for a 2 day HT, likely the waiting list is shorter if it’s only a 1 day HT (below 2000 FUE). But especially if you like me, prefers a THU-FRI or WED-THU for a 2 day FUE, you will have to be out in good time. Anyway my feel is that Feriduni is compared to his level of expertise, somewhat underrepresented and not as known on this site and some of the other Docs.

This is a shame as Dr. Feriduni can do things that many of the other IHARS Docs cannot, when it comes to HT, including the size of FUE HT, FUE dense packing etc. Some can do it, but very few can do all of this combined, basically only one comes to mind Dr Rahal. I have spend hours and hours on research on the net, and I do believe that forums like this one is the best objective source for info, as the doctors own sides are of course one sided. On the forums you can get the whole picture, and you can even ask members questions, who have been through, what you are considering to do.

Finally an interesting observation, also for people who will not go for a HT:
    I have sworn that the bald look does not work for me. Even during my time in the army, I only had a crew cut and it worked ok, but back then I had a lot more hair. Now when the nurses cut me down with 0 clipper, I was shocked the first day and hated the look, as I expected. On the second day, however I slowly got used to the look, and here 4 days after, I actually know that, this is not the last time I shave down. I will also rock a really short look at least sometimes for holidays… Another great advantage with FUE…

Any questions are welcomed and comments to the hair line etc…

THE END

I have been saying it for ages; Dr. Feriduni is a FUE master. I'm considering FUE myself in the future but I intend to wait maybe 3 years to see how my hair loss is progressing and to wait to get my finances in order as I have decided to make a career change.

I can't wait to see your results. A theoretical 12500 FU by FUE is astounding. A conservative 7-8000 sounds very reassuring for you. I imagine the doc could extract a total of 9000-10000 for you no problem if you need them but it doesn't sound like you will need them. Congrats. This is going to be a fantastic result I'm sure. Keep us updated please. All the best with the growth.

Excellent, thanks for giving back, sounds and looks great so far.

I am after a FUE transplant and the same surgeons come to mind as you had in your list, Rahal, Feller or Feriduni.

All highly rated so with that in mind making a final decision on who to choose is all down to price and convenience for me as I am sure they would all do an awesome job.

As I live in England, Feriduni located in Belgium seems like the best option although I have no idea what he charges per graft as there is nothing on the website.

Going to Belgium will cost very little, a short flight from London, if I could find cheap accommodation I would be happy to stay there until my head had totally healed as would hate going to the airport, through security looking like a plonker.

Seeing as the British Pound is stronger than the Euro then this could be a huge advantage too.

How much did your transplant procedure cost you in Euro's?
    or how much were you charged per graft?

The answer to this question could be one of the last things I need to know before picking up the phone.

Default Cost of FUE HT with Feriduni

Hi FDR & Sausage,
    FDR: thanks for your comments. Agree Feriduni is up there with the very best, and he is proving daily that some of the old short comings of FUE is a thing of the past, like size, costs, time etc... Will do my utmost to post monthly here and answer questions when needed. Thanks for your input earlier, this was some of the reasons why my hairline looks like it does and the graft placements. Please shoot me a private message on this career change, sounds interesting.

Sausage:
    Suggest you take contact to Feriduni and at least 2-3 other doctors via mail directly with some photos of the area, where you want your work done.

For me Dr Feriduni send me his online recommendation/evaluation including cost quotations and other details, he can be reached on - expect some days delay in answer:
    info ad dr.feriduni.be or
    info ad hairdocs.info

This way you hear his views no matter if you end up going to him or someone else. Btw for your short list, as far as I know, Dr Feller does not do more than 1300 FUE in total for a 1 day HT, and he will not accept two day sessions back to back, so keep that in mind depending on your needs.

Below is from my specific HT, you will have to take contact to the Doc to get specific numbers for your needs, believe they do not have a EUR/graft price but more HT interval size prices and probably costs change yearly this is 2011 quotations:
    EUR 10.400 for FUE 2463 grafts
    EUR 350 for Acell (is not needed, I just wanted best possible growth)
    EUR 210 for hotel for 3 nights (1 night was covered by Feriduni)
    EUR 50 for food, 2 x room service, break fast included in hotel, lunch at clinic
    EUR 0 for taxi to from airport and to from hotel - was covered by the clinic - believe they changed that now, so it is on your own account
    For my flights I used bonus points.

Costs are important, but be careful not to make your decision on costs alone, at the end of the day there are many parameters you need to take into account. Your needs, hairline design, size of HT, dense packing/graft placement, FUE tool punch size, expected transection rate, costs/exchange rates, down time, use of Acell, your donor situation and family history, aftercare service, chemistry of you and doc etc

Good luck and keep researching.

Default First week post op is over - pictures

First week is well over. During the first 3 nights post op it was hard to sleep with the U shaped pillow, but when you are tired enough - it helps.

Really happy with the hairline ,and my wife jokes that she cannot see a difference, which guess is a good thing - as I absolutely can...

Donor area has been good basically from day 2. After 7 days post the donor area in the back is invisible and nobody can see it, even up close. On the sides, guess if I have been harder on the scraps, I maybe could have made it invisible too, but these were the last graft extracted in the second round on second day, so still visible up close.

Receipient area is another story. Sure I could not have gone back to work after 7 days even with Acell. So keep that in mind for your HT planning.

You can see the pictures, with a hat it would be more than fine from 4-5 days but without my guess is more like 2 weeks - I am off for another week so hope that would be enough, will post the outcome.

Only concern at this point is the wrinkle/lines in the receipient area where it seems hair is missing for 1 mm - see picture 7 days post op. I have seen this with other FUE dense pack sessions, so guess normal, but hard to see when its your own scalp :-( Surely hope this is changes in the scalp that makes these "gaps" and they will look good when normalized, if anyone have any comments - please shoot - will send to Feriduni today to hear his views also of course...

Will strive to give an update after the 1 month postop.

Pictures:
    1 pics to remind myself pre op - the starting point - night before in the hotel
    3 pics same day post op
    Some pics after 3 days
    Some pics after 7 days (next post)

Name:	Preop.jpg

Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	13381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Same day postop.jpg

Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	13382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Same day postop left.jpg

Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	13383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Same day postop right.jpg

Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	13384   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 days postop.jpg

Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	13385   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 days postop donor.jpg

Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	13386  

Default 7 days post op pictures

Pictures after 4 days and after 1 week.

Copied from the post just above - description that belongs to these pictures:

Donor area has been good basically from day 2. After 7 days post the donor area in the back is invisible and nobody can see it, even up close. On the sides, guess if I have been harder on the scraps, I maybe could have made it invisible too, but these were the last graft extracted in the second round on second day, so still visible up close.

Receipient area is another story. Sure I could not have gone back to work after 7 days even with Acell. So keep that in mind for your HT planning.

Only concern at this point is the wrinkle/lines in the receipient area where it seems hair is missing for 1 mm - see picture 7 days post op. I have seen this with other FUE dense pack sessions, so guess normal, but hard to see when its your own scalp :-( Surely hope this is changes in the scalp that makes these "gaps" and they will look good when normalized, if anyone have any comments - please shoot - will send to Feriduni today to hear his views also of course...

Will strive to give an update after the 1 month postop.

Name:	4 days postop.jpg

Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	13387   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 days postop left.jpg

Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	13388   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 days postop right.jpg

Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	13389   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 days postop.jpg

Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	13390   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 days donor.jpg

Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	13391   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 days donor left.jpg

Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	13392   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 days donor right.jpg

Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	13393  

Hope it goes fell for you.

I filled out the consultation form on Feriduni's website 2 weeks ago and I have heard nothing from him, whereas with every other surgeon it took a day or 2 to reply.

Feriduni's website does look dated and uncared for which is a concern, maybe the consultation form is outdated and does not even work. I think you said you sent him an email. Maybe thats what I should do.

Everything is looking good to me. The donor seems to be rapidly healing. You'll feel much better about the whole thing once the scabs are gone and the recipient begins to clear up.