+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any recomendation to repair previous ht

This is my story

I start to loss my hair 6 years back and I decided by lack of information to proceed to strip ht and here I am with 6 inches scar at the back of my scalp and with a no natural hairline. In 2009 I start to reced up to my zone 2 and probably a pluggy look in hairline also I start to take propecia 6 months ago and it seem that this slow my hairloss. In this time I contact some drs and they recommend some options from 1200 to 2000 grafts but also I really appreciate to know the forum feedback regarding this option and your recommendation of how should I proceed. The goals of my restauration is more natural hairline and density and scar repair by FUE or CIT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hairline.jpg

Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	4266   Click image for larger version

Name:	scar.jpg

Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	4267   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper rith.jpg

Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	4268   Click image for larger version

Name:	upperleft.jpg

Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	4269  

It sounds like you’ve done your research and already have a good plan of action. It was a smart move to get on a Propecia regime and that’s wonderful that it seems to be working for you in terms of slowing hair loss.

Scar grafting via CIT/FUE would be a good strategy to repair the strip scar from you previous procedure. A doctor will be able to place grafts directly into the existing scar but it’s important to remember that scar tissue tends not to grow hair as well as ‘virgin scalp’ and your growth yield will likely be lower than with a regular transplant procedure. It’s possible that it will take more than one procedure to achieve the level of density necessary to fully hide your scar. Our online gallery contains a number of pictures of scar grafting procedures performed by Dr. Cole.

I would also recommend CIT/FUE to restore some density and create a more natural hairline. Unlike with your previous strip procedure, a CIT/FUE doctor would be able to carefully harvest only the follicular units that will provide the most natural results and most optimal yield. I believe that this method maximizes your available donor area and produces the most natural results.

It sounds like you are on the right track to making some good decisions with your second procedure. It was a good move to seek multiple opinions, in forums like this, and from different doctors. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Last edited by CIT_Girl; 02-23-2015 at 09:48 AM.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Do you know if your strip procedure was closed using a single or double layer donor closure? That might explain why you have a donor scar that you are not happy with. However, some patients just do not scar very well and they do not know that until after they have had the surgery. FUE might be a good choice, but grafting into a scar is much more unpredictable.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

John what did you go with? I hope you got helped...

Dr. Charles why do you say FUE into the scar is "unpredictable"?

Is it because you want to promote more strip procedures? I have seen many successful cases of scar grafting here http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...p?t=445&page=4 and here http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/v...90&forum_id=26.

Sounds to me that you didn't have John's best interest in mind, what if he proceeded to loose more hair? Maybe it won't be a problem know but what about 20 years later? John get your scar grafted by Feriduni, Bisanga, or Cole and move on brotha.
    Last edited by Winston; 08-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.

I think that any type of graft placed into scar tissue is more unpredictable than grafts placed into normal tissue. FUE or strip/FUT graft.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
    Is it because you want to promote more strip procedures? I have seen many successful cases of scar grafting here http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...p?t=445&page=4 and here http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/v...90&forum_id=26.

Sounds to me that you didn't have John's best interest in mind, what if he proceeded to loose more hair? Maybe it won't be a problem know but what about 20 years later? John get your scar grafted by Feriduni, Bisanga, or Cole and move on brotha.
    Welcome to the forum Stevie R. Your thoughts and opinions are welcome here, however we ask that our users act in a respectful manner when posting and addressing other users and professionals who take the time to post on our forum.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

I am only trying to recommend to people who are already unhappy because of larger visible scars to proceed with caution and use whatever donor hair they have remaining wisely and keep expectations realistic.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

@ Winston thanks for welcoming me to your forum, however I did not think I was disrespectful I just feel there is plenty of evidence out there that filling in the scar can work, especially for how long john wants to wear his hair. He is obviously losing hair and is somewhat young..why would he want to compound that by making thousands more scars on his head and spending thousands more dollars. Sorry but too many have been disfigured for a couple years of a nice hairline (if they are lucky). But I apologize if I assumed that this doc is one of those manipulative docs tricking young guys to get them in the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by hjohn30 View Post
    This is my story

I start to loss my hair 6 years back and I decided by lack of information to proceed to strip ht and here I am with 6 inches scar at the back of my scalp and with a no natural hairline. In 2009 I start to reced up to my zone 2 and probably a pluggy look in hairline also I start to take propecia 6 months ago and it seem that this slow my hairloss. In this time I contact some drs and they recommend some options from 1200 to 2000 grafts but also I really appreciate to know the forum feedback regarding this option and your recommendation of how should I proceed. The goals of my restauration is more natural hairline and density and scar repair by FUE or CIT.
    I recommend Dr. Gho's HST. I will get flack for my recommendation, but he has a proven track record with transplanting onto scar tissue... he has peer reviewed journals in the journal of dermatology (or something) that show up to 100% yield.