+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Male, Turning 30 in 2 days.... hair loss?

Hi all,

My dad went bald during his mid 50s. He also has diabetes now too. I think he underwent hair loss due to bad lifestyle (over-worked and stressed).

At age 60, he has little to no hair on top, but some on the sides.

My uncle, his brother, has a full head of hair. Far different lifestyles. My uncle is older by 3 years but has a relaxed lifestyle and has been retired for many years.

Here is my hair at 29. I will be 30 in a couple of days.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NSix View Post
    Hi all,

My dad went bald during his mid 50s. He also has diabetes now too. I think he underwent hair loss due to bad lifestyle (over-worked and stressed).

At age 60, he has little to no hair on top, but some on the sides. My uncle, his brother, has a full head of hair. Far different lifestyles. My uncle is older by 3 years but has a relaxed lifestyle and has been retired for many years.

Here is my hair at 29. I will be 30 in a couple of days.
    Do you have any thinning? What's the hair like on your mother's side of the family?

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I do have thinning.

On my mom's side, my grandpa had a full head of hair until he passed away.

My maternal uncle has balding at the crown but he is also diabetic and severely stressed. He's had a very stressful work life for most of his life. He also has heart problems.

Some of my maternal cousins have no hair loss and some do - but those who do also have fathers who went bald in their 20s.

My cousin who is 29 is balding now. I have a full head of hair.

bump

I do have thinning.

On my mom's side, my grandpa had a full head of hair until he passed away.

My maternal uncle has balding at the crown but he is also diabetic and severely stressed. He's had a very stressful work life for most of his life. He also has heart problems.

Some of my maternal cousins have no hair loss and some do - but those who do also have fathers who went bald in their 20s.

My cousin who is 29 is balding now. I have a full head of hair.
    What are you currently doing to maintain your hair?

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

Nothing and I've never used anything in the past.

I'm worried about the side-effects from fin.

My maternal uncle has a nice head of hair with temporal recession - but he is 63. So that is something to take note of.

My father is diabetic and works all day everyday. I believe his balding was due to lifestyle and diabetes.

Nothing and I've never used anything in the past.

I'm worried about the side-effects from fin.

My maternal uncle has a nice head of hair with temporal recession - but he is 63. So that is something to take note of.

My father is diabetic and works all day everyday. I believe his balding was due to lifestyle and diabetes.
    Rogaine, Nizoral once per week along with a good regular shampoo that contains natural DHT inhibitors shouldn't cause much if anything in the way of side effects. I just read an article that explains among other things why topical corticosteroids so commonly have a listed side of "excessive hair growth":
    Macrophages Contribute to the Cyclic Activation of Adult Hair Follicle Stem Cells

Over the counter, hydrocortisone 1% once per week could have a positive impact on hair growth. Dermatologists discourage frequent use because topical corticosteroids can cause skin thinning.

NSix I'm sorry to tell you this but hair is generally really resistant and there's no studies to link environmental impact to Androgenic Alopecia. There's been cases of hair loss where people would temporarily lose their hair due to lack of nutrition, stress or other conditions, however, their hair regrew as they recovered. It's a different story with Androgenic Alopecia, as it's gradually making your follicles dormant and unable to produce hair that will reach the telogen growth phase. Androgenic Alopecia is entirely genetic and the likelihood of experiencing it increases as you age.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoD View Post
    NSix I'm sorry to tell you this but hair is generally really resistant and there's no studies to link environmental impact to Androgenic Alopecia. There's been cases of hair loss where people would temporarily lose their hair due to lack of nutrition, stress or other conditions, however, their hair regrew as they recovered. It's a different story with Androgenic Alopecia, as it's gradually making your follicles dormant and unable to produce hair that will reach the telogen growth phase. Androgenic Alopecia is entirely genetic and the likelihood of experiencing it increases as you age.
    I have mentioned this before in this forum... When I was 16, I rebuilt a 283 Chevy engine for my 57 Chevy. When working on the carburetor, I used a bucket of caustic carburetor cleaner and used my bare hands to clean the parts. Dumb. My hands had chemical burns but it didn't kill the hair. Contrast that with what DHT can set in motion in men who have inherited MPB.

I agree that AA is a genetic disposition from conception and it's more commonly known to many of us as MPB. It is indeed progressive in nature and incurable. The good news is that it is "treatable" both medicinally and surgically. Neither though will cure the problem and something any of us who have MPB must come to terms with. As long as we work within our limitations/expectations, and plan over a lifetime, many of us can attain life changing improvements.

On a side note, GM's 283 small block V8 engine and Ford's infamous 289 were two of the finest engines ever offered in that era. I owned a 1957, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1967, Chevy's all equipped with the 283. Truly a bullet proof engine and they sure don't make them like that anymore!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin