FUE or FUT first - question for those who have had multiple procedures - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE or FUT first - question for those who have had multiple procedures

Was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on how to get the most lifetime grafts for your hair.

I read somewhere that FUE first makes it hard for repeat procedures. I am 42 and with a decent hairline, but my hair loss will probably progress with time based on my family history.

I was wondering what the experiences of members here were like. I don't cut my hair short so I am not that against a strip scar if it's the right choice, but obviously if there's no advantage I would like to avoid it. Have those of you who've had FUE found it difficult to have repeat procedures? How about FUT?

Quote Originally Posted by zigoberth View Post
    Was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on how to get the most lifetime grafts for your hair.

I read somewhere that FUE first makes it hard for repeat procedures. I am 42 and with a decent hairline, but my hair loss will probably progress with time based on my family history.

I was wondering what the experiences of members here were like. I don't cut my hair short so I am not that against a strip scar if it's the right choice, but obviously if there's no advantage I would like to avoid it. Have those of you who've had FUE found it difficult to have repeat procedures? How about FUT?
    1) For maximum amount of grafts you should do strip first.

2) If you wear your hair long and are comfortable with a scar, FUT is a safer bet. FUE can be great too but it is a much more difficult procedure to perform with more risk of damaged grafts and poor yield. You would really have to do your research and pick one of the worlds best surgeons if you went this route.

If you think your hairloss will progress and get really bad then I'd look into treatments + an FUT. If your loss is only minimal and you aren't thinking it will get much worse, FUE is an acceptable choice.

Are you using any hairloss treatments? At what age did your hairloss first become noticeable to you? The fact that you're 42 and not 22 works in your favour but the rate at which you're losing hair is an important factor.

If a patient has FUE followed by FUT then of course there will be fewer follicles within the strip, as some will have been extracted from within the donor area during the FUE procedure. But remember that those hairs, while missing from the strip, are growing in the recipient area.

Some people are dead set against FUT while some are fine with it. As much as anything it's individual temperament.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Personally I vote for FUT if you want a large procedure and a high yield.

Seems the current consensus is that FUT can give you more grafts over time and also provides consistently higher growth rates. However, undoubtedly FUE offers an easier recovery period. In either case you really have to get to a good doctor and clinic that is a master in FUT or FUE.

It is best if you don't do anything.

BUT

If you have to, as my own opinion, FUT first if your procedure is quoted to be at or over especially 3000 grafts. Especially, if you are to get intricate hairline work. While most clinics can get ok FUE results with course or thicker hair types, they can be terrible at getting good fue results out of medium to thinner straighter hairs. Ive spoken to a few docs, thicker hairs and courser hairs are generally healthier and can withstand extractions better and give you a better shot at ok extracted grafts. Do not fall for any verbal, etc gaurantees. Get everything in writing with the doc.

This is coming from someone that is well known across forums and has spoke with tons of repair patients and prospective patients alike.

Im not paid by any doctor by the way.

It is up to you to decide what you want but be safe.

I just do not like to see folks given high hopes and promised then have to deal with issues. You do not want to chase repairs and have any donor halos or piss poor yield. I really suggest you request the exact same surgical consent forms the doc requests you to sign on surgery day to be given to you prior to paying deposit. Ask tons of questions before you get in that chair. Meet real unpaid patients. Just be careful and best of luck.

I am going through the same dilemma at the moment. I am very prone to keloid scars and for that reason I am terrified of FUT. I have had a consultation with Hasson and Wong and they recommended FUT anyway. The thing its, they tell you that FUT is better because it gives better yield, who doesn't want better yield though!? I feel like Im being really steered in the direction of FUT even though I'd be way more comfortable with FUE. I have decided to a transplant but I havent decided on where to get it done yet. Who are the best FUE doctors? Hasson and Wang seem really good bit their bread and butter seems to be FUT. I have heard Marc Dauer and Craig Ziering are good FUE surgeons but I'd love to know if anyone has any more recommendations. Actually choosing a method and a doctor is turning out to be really stressful. I am going to have to fly to visit at least two clinics before I decide as well but I feel like I really need to do due diligence. So I have decided to visit two doctors in person before I make my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Are you using any hairloss treatments? At what age did your hairloss first become noticeable to you? The fact that you're 42 and not 22 works in your favour but the rate at which you're losing hair is an important factor.

If a patient has FUE followed by FUT then of course there will be fewer follicles within the strip, as some will have been extracted from within the donor area during the FUE procedure. But remember that those hairs, while missing from the strip, are growing in the recipient area.

Some people are dead set against FUT while some are fine with it. As much as anything it's individual temperament.
    My hairless has been gradual. Norwood 2.5. First noticeable in late 20s, have been on keto since then and added Avodart about 5 years ago. I think it will progress rapidly if I discontinue Avodart, which I feel I will probably have to do eventually due to side effects.