+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Receding heavily at 18[Advice needed]

Hey everyone, so I finally plucked up the courage to make this post after about 8 months of being afraid to so it all began when I noticed my hair was thinner about September 2015 and as I inspected further I realised I was actually receding. I had long hair before and I actually got my hair cut quite short on my birthday at August the 13th and I didn't notice anything. but here I am about 8 months later heavily receded with no sign in stopping. I'm not denying the fact I'm balding, I just don't know what to do. Can I even stop it? is medication worth taking. Oh and My mothers father was balding in his early 20's, my father is bald but his father has hair and he's in his 80's. My confidence is in the gutter and I am now paranoid because I know how bad my hair looks, I really need some advice thanks. Lastly here are the pictures. p.s sorry for the shirtless pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hs2.jpg

Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	46447   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs3.jpg

Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	46448   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs4.jpg

Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	46449   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs5.jpg

Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	46450   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs6.jpg

Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	46451   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs7.jpg

Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	46452   Click image for larger version

Name:	hs8.jpg

Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	46453  

Anyone? really stressing out about this

Yeah you are slowly receding but got decent coverage. Go to a derm and ask for finasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by tipsfedora View Post
    Yeah you are slowly receding but got decent coverage. Go to a derm and ask for finasteride.
    I went to one, It took 5 months to get an appointment and all she said was to use regain foam? I asked about finasteride but she said about sexual problems, I looked online and the regain foam didn't see like it was that great for people. Is it worth taking? and can you only get finasteride from a doctor?

I started very similarly in early my 20s, and shed through college.
    I ended up with a mild V, raised temples, but good coverage like you have now. All and all, following college that loss stopped and held into my mid 30'ies. Following getting very sick, and sustaining a major trauma, and dosed with anesthesia and months of antibiotics I lost much more hair. I now have a very pronounced V, which is slightly thinned - I don't see hair on my pillow or in the shower, but the additional loss has not recovered from the trauma.

I started looking at Propecia, but there is potential for severe sexual side effects which in rare cases become permanent. I would consider that strongly, even understanding the undue stress involved with hair loss. For me, the risks outweigh the gains, with propecia though I can understand your stress having been roughly the same age when I began maturing towards the V.

http://www.rxlist.com/propecia-drug/...de-effects.htm

It seemed like you received very rushed boiler plate advice. I had an endocrinologist do a full work up and my DHT levels are safe and shouldn't be impacting hair loss. IDK maybe they leveled off following the initial month's trauma and all meds for the injury. That is one route you can go to get a really good breakdown on what your body is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by gzip View Post
    I started very similarly in early my 20s, and shed through college.
    I ended up with a mild V, raised temples, but good coverage like you have now. All and all, following college that loss stopped and held into my mid 30'ies. Following getting very sick, and sustaining a major trauma, and dosed with anesthesia and months of antibiotics I lost much more hair. I now have a very pronounced V, which is slightly thinned - I don't see hair on my pillow or in the shower, but the additional loss has not recovered from the trauma.

I started looking at Propecia, but there is potential for severe sexual side effects which in rare cases become permanent. I would consider that strongly, even understanding the undue stress involved with hair loss. For me, the risks outweigh the gains, with propecia though I can understand your stress having been roughly the same age when I began maturing towards the V.

http://www.rxlist.com/propecia-drug/...de-effects.htm

It seemed like you received very rushed boiler plate advice. I had an endocrinologist do a full work up and my DHT levels are safe and shouldn't be impacting hair loss. IDK maybe they leveled off following the initial month's trauma and all meds for the injury. That is one route you can go to get a really good breakdown on what your body is doing.
    Hey I appreciate the response, yeah I have heard a lot of stories when people start receding early and it doesn't get considerably worse until many years later, but I don't want to take any chances. I understand the risk of the medication like propecia but I want to try and hold on to my hair as long as possible. And they did do tests to see if It my hair loss wasn't to do with any other medical reasons and they found the tests not to show up anything. It does stress me out, I feel borderline obsessed with my hair. The worst part is the fact that only a year ago I had no hair worries and didn't even think twice of the possibility of me balding but it seemed to just hit me over night.

Quote Originally Posted by thebalding18yearold View Post
    Hey I appreciate the response, yeah I have heard a lot of stories when people start receding early and it doesn't get considerably worse until many years later, but I don't want to take any chances. I understand the risk of the medication like propecia but I want to try and hold on to my hair as long as possible. And they did do tests to see if It my hair loss wasn't to do with any other medical reasons and they found the tests not to show up anything. It does stress me out, I feel borderline obsessed with my hair. The worst part is the fact that only a year ago I had no hair worries and didn't even think twice of the possibility of me balding but it seemed to just hit me over night.
    The severe sexual side effects is grossly overrated on this and many forums, why because if propecia does for you what it does for most(slow the balding process with very mild side effects) you won't hear those people complaining or shouting its virtue's. Those that have great regrowth will sing its praises and those with side effects will shout its a disaster waiting to happen. Fact is only %2 get any serious side effects at all. Research shows that of those %2 roughly half will return to normal even if staying on the drug. Of the %1 that have side effects and get off the drug the vast majority will return to normal once the drug is out of their system. What this basically means is that you have about a 1 in a 1000 chance of any side effects once stopping the drug. And I would bet it is a great deal less of having serious side effects once stopping the drug. Still there is some risk, if I was you I would get on propecia try it for a year and see where you are at(take pictures) if it hasn't slowed your loss then taper off it(don't go cold turkey) and get on with your life. If it holds then you can consider adding other treatments(rogaine and keto)

Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    The severe sexual side effects is grossly overrated on this and many forums, why because if propecia does for you what it does for most(slow the balding process with very mild side effects) you won't hear those people complaining or shouting its virtue's. Those that have great regrowth will sing its praises and those with side effects will shout its a disaster waiting to happen. Fact is only %2 get any serious side effects at all. Research shows that of those %2 roughly half will return to normal even if staying on the drug. Of the %1 that have side effects and get off the drug the vast majority will return to normal once the drug is out of their system. What this basically means is that you have about a 1 in a 1000 chance of any side effects once stopping the drug. And I would bet it is a great deal less of having serious side effects once stopping the drug. Still there is some risk, if I was you I would get on propecia try it for a year and see where you are at(take pictures) if it hasn't slowed your loss then taper off it(don't go cold turkey) and get on with your life. If it holds then you can consider adding other treatments(rogaine and keto)
    Thanks for the response appreciate it, yeah the dermatologist told me to use something called regain, I assume thats another word for rogaine. She said it was the only medically proven treatment for hair loss. But your saying that Propecia is a lot better and more effective? also just out of curiosity what norwood would you say I am on the scale

Quote Originally Posted by thebalding18yearold View Post
    Thanks for the response appreciate it, yeah the dermatologist told me to use something called regain, I assume thats another word for rogaine. She said it was the only medically proven treatment for hair loss. But your saying that Propecia is a lot better and more effective? also just out of curiosity what norwood would you say I am on the scale
    Propecia is much much more effective than minoxidil(rogaine). You can use both at the same time, many of us do, but if you start a bunch of stuff at once you won't know if one or the other is working or not, just the combo. You don't want to take propecia all your life if minoxidil is the thing that's working for you. Everyone is different. Just don't expect to grow a lot of hair or stop your loss completely its likely propecia will slow your loss significantly but from what I have read and my experience it only slows it(basically gives you the hair at 30 to 35 that you would have had at 25). Some have completely grown their hair(on propecia or minox) but that seems to be rare

Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    Propecia is much much more effective than minoxidil(rogaine). You can use both at the same time, many of us do, but if you start a bunch of stuff at once you won't know if one or the other is working or not, just the combo. You don't want to take propecia all your life if minoxidil is the thing that's working for you. Everyone is different. Just don't expect to grow a lot of hair or stop your loss completely its likely propecia will slow your loss significantly but from what I have read and my experience it only slows it(basically gives you the hair at 30 to 35 that you would have had at 25). Some have completely grown their hair(on propecia or minox) but that seems to be rare
    I see, well I guess I have to pray that I'm one of the lucky ones who responds well to it and gets a lot of hair back. I'm going to my doctor next week to ask for a prescription of propecia.