+ Reply to Thread

Default Brothers, I need your advice.

Hello all,

This is my first post but I'll try to keep it brief. I started noticing my receding hairline at the age of 19, and at 20 began taking finasteride. I was on it for 7 years, and now at age 27 I've stopped due to side effects. Although they weren't major sides, I have found that just as my age has increased, my concern has also grown. I understand that fin is the best thing on the market at the moment, but I don't wish to continue with it.

After lurking on this forum for a number of years, I need your help!

I'm currently at a NW2, and can hide my hairline with a tactical hair style and a bit (lots and lots) of hairspray. Here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to (attempt to) maintain what I currently have?

2. Would it be sensible for me to use minoxidil on seemingly healthy hair for maintenance?

3. Is Nizoral 1% effective or should I go for the prescription 2%?

4. Is there anything else that can be used on existing hair to keep the effects of that nasty DHT at bay? Dermarolling, scalp massage, laser comb etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you considered taking a lower dose of fin instead of going cold turkey?

Id say use minox, but it will take time to see the positive effects. And if during this time you are quitting fin, you could be in for a massive shed!
    What kind of sides are you experiancing?

To be honest I think the absolute best chance you would have if you go off fin is to hop on RU and minox. (RU is a topical anti-androgen ie like a topical fin. You could experience sides similar to fin, or have no sides)

What kind of sides are you getting?

i would say just using minoxidil and a keto shampoo, whatever you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwaw View Post
    Hello all,

This is my first post but I'll try to keep it brief. I started noticing my receding hairline at the age of 19, and at 20 began taking finasteride. I was on it for 7 years, and now at age 27 I've stopped due to side effects. Although they weren't major sides, I have found that just as my age has increased, my concern has also grown. I understand that fin is the best thing on the market at the moment, but I don't wish to continue with it.

After lurking on this forum for a number of years, I need your help!

I'm currently at a NW2, and can hide my hairline with a tactical hair style and a bit (lots and lots) of hairspray. Here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to (attempt to) maintain what I currently have?

2. Would it be sensible for me to use minoxidil on seemingly healthy hair for maintenance?

3. Is Nizoral 1% effective or should I go for the prescription 2%?

4. Is there anything else that can be used on existing hair to keep the effects of that nasty DHT at bay? Dermarolling, scalp massage, laser comb etc.

Many thanks in advance.
    Quitting after 7 years on fin @ NW2? I will not lie to you dude. You are probably in for aesthetic obliteration if you do not get on some kind of DHT inhibitor asap

Do as Dan26 said, try a lower dose of fin. There is rly nothing to compete with finasteride & dutasteride as far as reliably suppressing DHT
    If you 100% will not take fin or dut, try RU.

Use 2% keto. Minox also. However these will not save you w/o DHT meds

I have switched to 1mg fin every other day in the hope that it maintains what I have, and I have added Nizoral to my regimen. I will trial this for a while until other options come along.

Let's be honest here you have very little chances to maintain after having dropped finasteride, maybe with RU. But no antiandorgens= no beating real MPB.

I think you really should think about shaving your hair right now because this is where you're going to have to go really soon. If you freak out you will realize fin wasnt that bad.

Keratene Alphactive Retard has been "proven" in trials to lower DHT, and some top HT surgeons in Europe recommend it. And it's supposed to be relatively side-effect free compared to fin.

However...it has been slammed by many on this board. I'm not sure whether it works of not. It's a tricky one IMO with regards to this product , but it's the only thing out there that isn't discussed on a regular basis here.