+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sp apart from hairloss...

The fight to retain hair is ultimately about maintaining an image, and specifically for most men it's about maintaining a youthful appearance for as long as possible.

My question is what do you do apart from concerns about hair to achieve this. What have you had success with? It might be a skin cream or a type of surgery. Whatever it is, I think it's relevant in the general scheme of things.

Personally I use an SPF15 moisturiser on my face every day to try to prevent skin damage from UV rays. I also run and work out to keep myself in shape. In terms of diet, I eat fruits and vegetables, wholegrain wheat, cereals and brown rice and I stay away from sugary drinks and snacks. I'm also a vegetarian, so no meat.

What about you?

Working out 3 times a week now, trying to put on some mass. This summer I'll probably go harder, and really start dedicating myself to it. Eat a lot of eggs, meat, etc. Definitely need more vegetables and fruits, though. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, trying to do away with persistent acne on my face. Not easy, hm.

Trying to cut down on the booze , both for hair health as well as general health... Doesn't help that this is St. Patty's day weekend tho!

Acne is very much diet related. Cut back on the meat and eggs. Eat more fruits and veggies and if possible juice them. Omega 3 fatty acids from chia seeds or flax is also really important.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    What about you?
    I'm a red head so I need to use higher SPF stuff, which is often very hard to find.

I make my own skin cream with pure aloe vera gel and extra virgin olive oil. I just mix them 50/50 and that's my night cream and hand & body lotion.

I work out almost every day alternating between cardio and strength building - but no heavy weights. I don't want bulk. I want curves - in the right places.

I do count calories but I also make those calories count. I rarely eat red meat and I never eat pork of any kind. I eat mostly friuts, vegitables, whole grains and plant protiens. Though I do make sure to eat at least one "free range" egg every day. I love vegitarian sausage. That stuff is so good.

Where I live it's not realistically possible to get enough fish in my diet so I take suppliments to compensate and eat fish whenever possible.

I avoid hard drinks but I do drink beer. I limit it to one a day. One beer a day is actually very good for you in a lot of ways.

I am actually the same age as Spencer but aside from my hair loss I easily look ten to fifteen years younger than I am. Now that I've got enough hair back to look presentable I do get hit on by guys ten to fifteen years younger than me. So I'm doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Acne is very much diet related. Cut back on the meat and eggs. Eat more fruits and veggies and if possible juice them. Omega 3 fatty acids from chia seeds or flax is also really important.
    I agree that Omega3 fatty acids (found in abundance in oily fish like salmon and sardines) are great for skin health (and our hair!)

Juicing only makes it easier and convenient to consume a large quantity. Eating 3 "full size" carrots might seem like a lot, but when you juice it down, you wonder why theres so little to drink.

Acne is 100% a result of hormones (testosterone) and poor skin health though - diet can influence the hormonal production and metabolism though.

Organic meat and eggs will aide the increase in testosterone and protein synthesis and thats it. Non-organic may have other chemicals (steroids, growth hormones etc) that screw with your body in other ways though.

Acne is in part triggered by hormones, but it’s been found that people who have chronic skin conditions including cystic acne benefit greatly by reducing animal products in their diet. It’s also been found by altering ones diet completely can reverse acne rosacea and cystic acne.

@Tracy C, Spencer looks quite young for his age too. I would have guessed late thirties not late forties. Wonder what he eats?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Thanks! Good tip. My issue though is I'm trying to put on mass through working out and eating high protein, which contains the building blocks of muscle, hence where the meat and eggs come in.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Thanks! Good tip. My issue though is I'm trying to put on mass through working out and eating high protein, which contains the building blocks of muscle, hence where the meat and eggs come in.
    You can supplement with rice protein or Quinoa, which will give you all the protein you need to build lean muscle mass.

I workout myself, though I'm still very young I want to stay in the best health possible my entire life, so I use heavy weights and run everyday. For everyone working out, you should try lentils for protein. They don't taste that bad and have a decent amount of protein.
    I had mild to moderate acne before, but I noticed it had to do with my diet. I switched out dairy products for soy and my skin is looking really good now.