+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Hey everyone,

First time post here, I just stumbled upon this thread/forum by simply Googling MPB Itch.
    I definitely have to say I agree with some of the other posters that this isn't just coincidence. I started getting the itch around 3 years ago when my hair loss really started. At first I didn't pay much attention to it, but it got more aggressive and more annoying - and what are the odds, so did my hair loss.

Nioxin system seemed to help a bit in the beginning, but I never found Nizoral extremely effective at resolving the itch either. What's weird is that it's not a normal itch, like one on your arm or leg, that you can scratch and usually goes away. This itch is in a very precise spot, it changes time to time, and a scratch doesn't make it go away. Usually I would have to kind of hit/tap my head or use a pen or something pointy to kind-of pin-point the spot where it was. It did get extremely annoying. Usually it was in the crown or front of my hair...areas where more scalp was starting to show.

I just started Fin exactly a week ago and am already feeling about 80% less itch, I don't think that's just a coincidence.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with Rogaine...Quite possibly most of us are using it or have tried using it but never tied the two together..Maybe new hairs = itch? Though I presume it's the former.

Best of luck to you all.

If fin made your itch 80 percent better wouldnt you say its DHT then that was the main cause of your itch if it alone helped that much? I tried saw palmetto years ago and it was the only thing that helped my itch but it was night and day difference. I quit because I didnt know if it helped my hair or not and it was giving me sides similar to fin. I thought about trying finasteride though to see if it helped.
    I know for me im reasonably sure finasteride would help my itch and for me its androgen related just based on saw palmetto helping me so much convinced me its that. Everyone is different so that is not for everyone and fin does carry some real risks that has prevented me from ever trying it. Not a huge fan of drugs for cosmetic problems its very questionable to me if hair is worth your health.

I wanted to bump this thread because I am also in a situation that is similar to people on here. Actually I am on the verge of possibly taking finasteride/propecia sometime this week but in a span of less then 2 years I lost well over 50% of my hair..

Super aggressive hair loss and its all because of a constant itch I've been battling with combined with seborrheic dermatitis I assume since I now even have dry flaky skin in my ears..the itching is the worst though.

I am hoping maybe fin will help because at this rate I would not be surprised that I'll be completely bald in another 2 years. And the interesting thing is its not like my hairlines is't there, I have occasional hairs along the sides, but ever since the itching begun the dramatic hair loss started, it just does not seem like genetic mpb.

btw im a 23 year old male.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Why do people on the forums say scalp itch indicates hair loss is progressing in people with MPB?
    Not saying I believe or disbelieve it, just not sure why this connection is made and I am looking for any insight anyone can share. Thanks in advance
    That is a strange thing to say. Have to agree. Because there are lots of different reasons for going bald. Androgen Alopecia is certainly not the only cause.