+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default minoxidal widout propecia?

ok, i 'v finally decided to use minoxidal for my hair loss problem. The thing is that i read somewhere that minox hardly works widout propecia. I , being 21, dnt thnk propecia would be gud fr me. Plus, d potential side effects really freak me out. So , what should i do?

Hi stressdfella,

Minoxidil is a growth stimulant. It stimulates hair that can grow back to grow back - but it does nothing to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. Finasteride blocks the hormone that triggers hereditary hairs loss - but it does nothing to stimulate hair that can grow back to grow back. These two medications do two different things. When using them together they help each other.

Between Minoxiil and Finasteride, Finasteride is more effective beause it more directly addresses the cause of hereditary hair loss. Minoxidil basically only addresses the symptom.

What you choose to do is entirely up to you. It depends on how much your hair loss bothers you - and how aggressive your hair loss is. The best thing to do is see a doctor who specilizes in treating hair loss. Here is a link to help you find one.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

Do not allow yourself to fall victim to the fear mongering over Finasteride that has been going on. Talk it over with a real doctor to get the real facts. You can find the most truthful information about treating hereditary hair loss at this link.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

Since you are already using Minoxidil, consider adding Nizoral or Nizoral A-D shampoo to your regime. Use it once per week in place of your regular shampoo.

Tracy's advice is good.

I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with taking finasteride at your age. At 21 your body is done growing. If you were 16 I would have more reservations.

Last bit of advice: minoxidil without finasteride is not a good investment in my view. You may see short-term improvement, but you will lose your gains before long as DHT continues to attack your follicles.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by stressdfella View Post
    Plus, d potential side effects really freak me out. So , what should i do?
    Do not go down the propecia road. Its now official. I talked against it all along and I was right all this time. Two top US Universities studies have gone public, professors, MDs, they all speak out against propecia now. Risks are not only serious, but can be permanent too. Merck has no anwser, they have even disabled their own website - propecia.com

Please read the entire article:
    "Doctors link hair growth drug to sexual dysfunction, depression and cancer"
    http://www.examiner.com/courts-in-ba...#ixzz1mLgDjzw3

A study of 71 patients who were complaining of undesirable conditions before being selected to participate?
    No representative sample, no control group, an unfunded study that no one can reproduce the results of...

This is about as "official" as a Michael Moore documentary.

"Every MD and professor speaks out against Propecia now"...

More fear mongering. Examiner.com, ha.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    A study of 71 patients who were complaining of undesirable conditions before being selected to participate?
    No representative sample, no control group, an unfunded study that no one can reproduce the results of...

This is about as "official" as a Michael Moore documentary.

"Every MD and professor speaks out against Propecia now"...

More fear mongering. Examiner.com, ha.
    No, disinformation again, they were completely healthy and with no problems whatsover, they weren't old either.

People can choose truth or believe in lies. Believe 2 top US universities studies, professors, MDs and professional journalist or believe Your attempts to discriminate perfectly legitimate evidence.

It's even worse than I thought.
    Spencer himself has addressed this:

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-los...eride-syndrom/

"Arizona Sexual Experience Scale." Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    No, disinformation again, they were completely healthy and with no problems whatsover, they weren't old either.

People can choose truth or believe in lies. Believe 2 top US universities studies, professors, MDs and professional journalist or believe Your attempts to discriminate perfectly legitimate evidence.
    how about this:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21980923

sample size: 3177
    people who got side effects: 23 (0.7%)

^ how could this happen if propecia is so dangerous??

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with taking finasteride at your age. At 21 your body is done growing. If you were 16 I would have more reservations.
    Sexual sides effects are more common in men in their mid 20s and below.

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Sexual sides effects are more common in men in their mid 20s and below.
    I do not know if that is true but it makes sense to me that a young male who is not yet finished going through puberty could have a problem. However, I am not a doctor so what do I know.