Thinking About Giving Up The Piece - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Post pics WITH the piece
    Here's a pic. It's not currently styled very well. I've been lazing around today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28392826678_ef04cd9a4a_z.jpg

Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	57275  

I got a piece when I was 20 and wore it for about 4yrs. This was 1994-1998. I STILL have nightmares about the anxiety it brought me. I got FUT transplants in 97 which really was a lifesaver. I “came out” to my friends about it after my transplants started coming in and you know what? They didn’t give a shit, not one of them. People like you for who you are, not what’s on your head.

Unfortunately, shaving my head at the time wasn’t really en vogue for regular looking white dudes. So I went with the transplants. If I was going through this now as a younger guy, I’d just shave it off and grow a beard. It looks great.

Since I have the FUT scars that’s not really the direction I want to go now. So I just had 1200 FUE transplants done yesterday to update my hairline. It’s ****ing expensive man.

So, my advice... lose the piece, shave your head and grow out some facial hair. It’s cheap, no more hairpiece maintenance, you can buzz it yourself, and it looks good. Plus you won’t have the anxiety of wind and water anymore. Also, chicks dig it!

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go!

Inactive

If you feel comfortable losing the piece and the primary deterrent is the fear of what other people will think, I genuinely believe that the more confident you are in your decision, the less people will care. (Not to mention that they will most likely forget about it in no time anyway.) While not the same thing, I have female friends who have changed their hair color/style many times over the years, and I tend to end up just remembering their hair in its current state. Like, "You don't remember when I had super short blonde hair?" Nope. I don't. I remember you the way you are now with your longer, brown hair. lol

Also, I found that when first talking about my hair transplant, the more confident I was in my decision, the more intrigued people were - with no signs of judgment. So if you're able to talk about it from a self-assured place, I think the more common reaction will be people simply being impressed with how you pulled it off for as long as you did.

Either way, make the decision that makes you happier. Nothing else matters.

I just wanted to post an update and thank everyone again for your advise, personal stories and general input!

It's been a week and a half since I ditched the piece. I feel great! I prepared my closest colleagues at work and my close friends a few days in advance by telling them the honest truth, that I had chosen to wear a hair piece up to that point for superficial reasons but was getting rid of it at the end of that day (Friday). Telling those select few people that I actually cared a lick about was actually the hardest part for me. Going into work on Monday for the first time shaved wasn't actually as hard as I had imagined. I didn't have much anxiety beforehand at all. I was confident in my decision and to hell what anyone at work thought! Everyone's reaction ended up being incredibly supportive! Some were surprised at first but many assumed it was a summer-time shave.

It's funny because the people who are very outspoken and who I sometimes clash with, the ones I thought would give me a hard time, were the most accepting of all it seemed to me! We're getting along better than ever before now! I was confident in my decision walking in that first day and I knew that it would only take a week or so for everyone to get used to my new look. Now I just feel free!

I'm loving the wind now and I'm booking a trip somewhere warm this November with a friend for some water action since I can finally swim again! Oh and I started wearing caps which I never did before with the piece on (would just mess it up, plus it felt odd wearing a hat over a hat of hair) which has been a neat thing so far. Not to hide my head but for the style. I have no urge any more at all in hiding my head from the world!

I really feel like a different person in a great way!

I'm not saying that everyone should give up their piece. That's a personal choice and I would never judge anyone who chooses to wear one! You just do you! If you happen to be thinking that you want to give it up but are uncertain: my advice now is to go for it! Ask yourself how much you really care about what people think of you anyways. Their opinion shouldn't matter much at all! Live your life the way you want to live it! I've found that people honestly don't care anywhere close to how much you may think they care about your appearance!

That’s really awesome to hear! Good for you!

Good on you!

I am glad it is working out for you.

Best,

Steve

Lose the piece, shave your head and own it hard.

awesome man. i need to find courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Crixus View Post
    That's not a bad idea actually! I was planning a trip to somewhere warm this November. 6 months is a little ways to wait, but that could be a set time to remove the piece permanently. I still have to think about it.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions so far!
    Ironically, I'm in the opposite situation. Bald as **** at work, etc. But. . .

Went on vacation, cruise, wedding, class re-union with system and felt like a new man, younger, etc. Got compliments 'bout my hair style, etc.

Get home and remove it before work Monday.

Every time I try to go into work with it, I chicken out.