+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hair matters some, but not near as much as most here make it out to be

I'm a 19 year old who about a year ago lost over half my scalp hair to a (now permanent) condition, I shave my head cue ball, I'm skinny and paler but my face and head shape are good for it I admit. I was concerned how girls my age would feel about it, but I was never worried it'd affect school jobs etcetera like some delusional people do. Well I got my answer to how girls feel about it when a 16 year old asked me to her prom, and she was very attractive. (I'm barely 2 years older before anyone brings up the age) she barely knew me and she asked me to go so I agreed and she asked why I shaved head, I was honest that I lost it, and while she said it wasn't her preference she said it's just hair why would she care about that. So here's a girl just about 17, very attractive, saying she didn't care I had no hair, full knowing I never will. And prom boosted confidence even more, it was a different schools prom and I was one of the more talked to kids there, people asked me about courses I was taking when they heard I was skydiving for a license and people were curious who one of the 'hottest' girls in thier school took. After prom she even got jealous when I was simply talking to her friend because I guess her friend had a thing for me and thought I was flirting. After this me and this girl are together. I truly don't care about the lost hair given I've had plenty of success in life without it. And I'm not even 20 yet. And yes I'm full on skin head, howie Mandela shaven. No pigment even. And I accomplished this. I just thought I'd give a positive story that it doesn't have to be that big of a deal like many people here make it. Most bald guys are out living doing just fine, that's why you don't see them post. The only ones here posting that baldness destroyed their lives and made them lose everything are either going through the initial shock. Or too weak in that they put strength and life worth into hair. It can be difficult. But it's really just hair. God bless

Quote Originally Posted by BeaveCake View Post
    I'm a 19 year old who about a year ago lost over half my scalp hair to a (now permanent) condition, I shave my head cue ball, I'm skinny and paler but my face and head shape are good for it I admit. I was concerned how girls my age would feel about it, but I was never worried it'd affect school jobs etcetera like some delusional people do. Well I got my answer to how girls feel about it when a 16 year old asked me to her prom, and she was very attractive. (I'm barely 2 years older before anyone brings up the age) she barely knew me and she asked me to go so I agreed and she asked why I shaved head, I was honest that I lost it, and while she said it wasn't her preference she said it's just hair why would she care about that. So here's a girl just about 17, very attractive, saying she didn't care I had no hair, full knowing I never will. And prom boosted confidence even more, it was a different schools prom and I was one of the more talked to kids there, people asked me about courses I was taking when they heard I was skydiving for a license and people were curious who one of the 'hottest' girls in thier school took. After prom she even got jealous when I was simply talking to her friend because I guess her friend had a thing for me and thought I was flirting. After this me and this girl are together. I truly don't care about the lost hair given I've had plenty of success in life without it. And I'm not even 20 yet. And yes I'm full on skin head, howie Mandela shaven. No pigment even. And I accomplished this. I just thought I'd give a positive story that it doesn't have to be that big of a deal like many people here make it. Most bald guys are out living doing just fine, that's why you don't see them post. The only ones here posting that baldness destroyed their lives and made them lose everything are either going through the initial shock. Or too weak in that they put strength and life worth into hair. It can be difficult. But it's really just hair. God bless
    Very nice story and hopefully some people understand your point.
    I started loose hair when i was about 20 years old, and i never felt depressed or how others look at me.
    Of course iīm 40 now and probably the society has changed, with our modern day gadgets that keeps us constantly updated how we should be, and with that comes interactive bullying.

For me personally itīs sad, how much it effects people, and what their willing to do for keeping hair at any cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbaliser View Post
    Very nice story and hopefully some people understand your point.
    I started loose hair when i was about 20 years old, and i never felt depressed or how others look at me.
    Of course iīm 40 now and probably the society has changed, with our modern day gadgets that keeps us constantly updated how we should be, and with that comes interactive bullying.

For me personally itīs sad, how much it effects people, and what their willing to do for keeping hair at any cause.
    I'm glad to see someone was like me on here. When I first seen thinning patches I was going crazy with stress. When I was told about my condition and that it was permanent I went into kind of a zen thing. My family was very military Rangers, even Green Berets (Army's SEAL equivalent) and I was taught in a very...tough environment to say the least but that taught me plenty and I knew hair didn't make a man so I shaved it. Honestly yes I was worried what girls would think but as I said it hasn't noticably affected me and I've never heard any negative. People say I look 22 which if anything could help (plus unless I wrinkle badly young it also means I'll probably stay looking that young too-bonus) and I truthfully like standing out. The only thing that killed hope at first was hairloss 'support' forums. It's just huge pity all around. People here act like bald men are treated like a different species and I thought to myself 'I wonder if that shaved bald (from hairloss) 20 year old guy I know, actually I know two of them, with the smoking got girl spends all night on these sites worried.' Then I realized no, the successful bald guys are out enjoying life, either not knowing sites like these even matter and not caring, or like me and maybe you and others got on sites like this for research into a problem and seen the ridiculousness of these places and left. Sorry for the long comment but for only being 19 I've been through a hell of a lot, and I don't consider hairloss one of the worst things. So when I see some guys saying it gets no worse than hairloss well.... I wish I could meet them face to face to prove them wrong-sorry that's the family thing speaking but you get my point.

Great post man. Excellent attitude to have.

Wait... so your entire post is basically stating that even with hair loss you've just had amazing positive experiences... but you can't comprehend that some people have had polar opposite experiences from the ones you've had? Where you have had joy others have had suffering/ social ridicule etc. and from your position of relative joy you just call these people too weak. You are young so I'll won't blame you for your imo shallow opinion.

Great post Beavecake. You nailed it. You may be 19 but you are wise beyond your years. No ridicule whatsoever in the post. A very "mature" opinion. You will do well in life with that attitude.
    Last edited by lvlace; 05-20-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Do you see how the two bolded parts are connected to eachother? If you looked ugly as fck being bald, would you have started the same thread? Sure, hair loss doesn't have to destroy your life but if you look really bad without hair, would you still say it's "just hair"?

But thanks for posting, I guess we need some more positive vibes on this forum (srs)

Quote Originally Posted by dus View Post
    Wait... so your entire post is basically stating that even with hair loss you've just had amazing positive experiences... but you can't comprehend that some people have had polar opposite experiences from the ones you've had? Where you have had joy others have had suffering/ social ridicule etc. and from your position of relative joy you just call these people too weak. You are young so I'll won't blame you for your imo shallow opinion.
    I'm shallow from the guy who obviously cares about hair. Here's how I view life, the people who like you be honest and friendly to them, the people you love and who love you back be honest and willing to die for, the rest **** em' excuse the language but it's true. A few people pointed out my hair in the past. Of course I've got ridiculed, I say 'I got better things to do with my balls than grow hair, do you?' Hold eye contact and be willing to follow through on any threats. I was raised to an honor system and that's how I respond to such things. People realise I'm not affected by hairloss that much and I'm not afraid to tell them that. THAT is what makes me have a positive experience over a guy who lets it bug him, the feel like they have power over those with no hair and they don't prove them wrong. Also guess what, people get ridiculed over EVERYTHING in this life. My father had rheumatoid arthritus as a child, his hands stopped growing and he just about didn't make it to adulthood. People have him crap over his hands but those hands outworked every other pair around them and he had the same attitude as me. Never had self pity once, and when he was dying at 56 from causes he couldn't control he wasn't saying 'why didn't my life let me have normal hands or a body that didn't ache and why did people make fun of these hands' he faced it, looked back at what he did with pride and told me I was going to grow up faster than I should have too. So don't tell me I'm young and don't know how bad life can be. If you really think I'm talking down to people than go off to some other post about how bald guys are treated like crap, because that isn't talking them down. I don't care if I'm young you're a full blown adult, This is my last thread on this site at just 19, I won't spend my nights reading some of this defeatist crap, can you say the same at whatever your age?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Do you see how the two bolded parts are connected to eachother? If you looked ugly as fck being bald, would you have started the same thread? Sure, hair loss doesn't have to destroy your life but if you look really bad without hair, would you still say it's "just hair"?

But thanks for posting, I guess we need some more positive vibes on this forum (srs)

Truth is I would, I think hair doesn't make a guys looks or attitude and if it does than there's issues. My head ain't perfect and I'm skinny so I'm not a model, my face is my best asset but still I aint a Picard. A lot of guys complaining no hair looks bad didn't match 'good' looks before, work out take care of yourself and do what you can, and you'll look the best you can no matter what. I always see before and after pics with some dorky looking dude and I think 'hey I life sucked when I looked dorky and had no hair, now I just look dorky with hair!' It's just an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by lvlace View Post
    Great post Beavecake. You nailed it. You may be 19 but you are wise beyond your years. No ridicule whatsoever in the post. A very "mature" opinion. You will do well in life with that attitude.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not given the quotes