+ Reply to Thread

Default If you transplant now, what will the next 20+ years look like?

Quick intro: I'm 42 and had a HT 3 years ago for the vertex only, 1500 grafts via FUT. Today, my vertex looks about the same as it did 3 years ago, as apparently most of the native hairs that were there back then are gone now.

But..where I had no frontal problems, I know have noticeable recession and thinning.

I spend a LOT of time looking at pictures, specifically pictures of men in their '60s/'70s to identify patterns in hair loss.

I think I've hit upon one of the key things that makes me apprehensive of doing a transplant to the front part of my scalp (whereas I was not so when I did the vertex a few years ago).

I am a big fan of the 1960s group, The Monkees. Attached, you will see pictures of two of the members, Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith, across each of the past three decades. Around '94, they were in their early 50s. The second pics are from around 10 years ago (early 60s). And the final pics are from today.

What concerns me is that while they had receding/thinning hairlines, they had hair until their 60s....and then, seemingly in a matter of years, all of the front and top hairs just vanished. Had they had transplants in their 40s to strengthen their hairlines, what would they look like today? I realize these are just two cases, but I've read often that hairloss can start being more predictable by your 40s. Mike and Micky seem to be counter to that thought. Even if these guys had transplanted, say, 5000 grafts back in their 40s or 50s, would it look worse today in their 70s versus if they had not done anything?

So, effectively, my concern is that having already used 1,500 grafts for my vertex, if I do a 1,500 hair transplant today in the front and find myself 30 years later seeing all of the native front/top hairs fly away, I will not have enough grafts left to make myself look natural.

Your thoughts? Does a well placed transplant of even 1,500 grafts (and possibly another 2,000 down the road) allow for things not to look "bad" should I lose ALL my native hairs on the front/top?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dolenz1995.jpg

Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	58248   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolenz2004.jpg

Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	58249   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolenz2018.jpg

Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	58250   Click image for larger version

Name:	nez1997.jpg

Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	58251   Click image for larger version

Name:	nez2004.jpg

Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	58252   Click image for larger version

Name:	nez2017.jpg

Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	58253  

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMusician View Post
    Quick intro: I'm 42 and had a HT 3 years ago for the vertex only, 1500 grafts via FUT. Today, my vertex looks about the same as it did 3 years ago, as apparently most of the native hairs that were there back then are gone now.

But..where I had no frontal problems, I know have noticeable recession and thinning.

I spend a LOT of time looking at pictures, specifically pictures of men in their '60s/'70s to identify patterns in hair loss.

I think I've hit upon one of the key things that makes me apprehensive of doing a transplant to the front part of my scalp (whereas I was not so when I did the vertex a few years ago).

I am a big fan of the 1960s group, The Monkees. Attached, you will see pictures of two of the members, Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith, across each of the past three decades. Around '94, they were in their early 50s. The second pics are from around 10 years ago (early 60s). And the final pics are from today.

What concerns me is that while they had receding/thinning hairlines, they had hair until their 60s....and then, seemingly in a matter of years, all of the front and top hairs just vanished. Had they had transplants in their 40s to strengthen their hairlines, what would they look like today? I realize these are just two cases, but I've read often that hairloss can start being more predictable by your 40s. Mike and Micky seem to be counter to that thought. Even if these guys had transplanted, say, 5000 grafts back in their 40s or 50s, would it look worse today in their 70s versus if they had not done anything?

So, effectively, my concern is that having already used 1,500 grafts for my vertex, if I do a 1,500 hair transplant today in the front and find myself 30 years later seeing all of the native front/top hairs fly away, I will not have enough grafts left to make myself look natural.

Your thoughts? Does a well placed transplant of even 1,500 grafts (and possibly another 2,000 down the road) allow for things not to look "bad" should I lose ALL my native hairs on the front/top?
    I had transplants more than thirty years ago. My hair continued to thin. The transplants also thinned over time. Look closely at photos of Joe Biden. He also had transplants years ago. Look closely at the photos.

Among other things, you will see that he has to grow his hair very long in the back in an attempt to conceal the donor area, because the hair all over his head, including the transplants and his donor area, has thinned so much.

I got less than 4 years of lasting results from my transplants, and that was in spite of using a minoxidil solution (aka, Rogaine).

Also research senescent alopecia and throw the facts of it in your prospective transplant clinic's face if they tell you that the transplanted hairs will never fall out.

Ahab - do you feel that you had transplants too early and, in turn, lost too much hair down the road that it just didn't look right anymore?

Is this typical? So many people get transplants to their frontal portion in their 30s and 40s, but what happens in their 60s and 70s?

Not too early. I was already a Norwood 4 at 30 years old. And in any case, the transplanted hairline was placed much higher than my original hairline.

Almost all males will have some degree of thinning and hair loss if they live until very advanced age, but some will not (you can still see some 80-90 year olds with a lot of hair).

There are a few ways to look at this:
    1) Don't get a HT as in a few decades my remaining hair including the transplanted hair will thin out and it might look bad.
    2) Get a HT now as I want to feel good about how I look TODAY and I can worry about 40 years from now...in 40 years!
    3) Recognize that maybe in 40 years they may have other treatments we do not have today.

4) Buzz it

Embrace it

Curious for others' thoughts on this.

If you are a NW2 or NW3 and do hairline restoration, it's feasible that you could regress to at least a NW6 years later and be left with a NW2/3 hairline and few, if any, hairs behind it?