+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Transplants - Good experience(s)

Hello. I have heard so many horror stories about hair transplants, but I must say my experiences have been nothing but good!

I started losing my hair in 1997 (I think), so I started taking Propecia. After many months, my hair stopped falling out and much of it actually grew back. In fact, only an expert would know that I had some hair loss. I didn't use any combovers or masking "dust". So basically, I had what looked like a full head of hair.

Then in 2007, I went to Dr. Alan Bauman in Boco Raton, Florida and asked him to thicken up my frontal hairline and fill in my crown with some quailty grafts. A year later, my hair was ultra thick in the front.

Just recently, days ago, I had another 2500 grafts to "double thicken" my front and crown.

In both cases, I had very little shock loss and the procedure was simple for me. Really, only had 1 evening/night of pain controlled by Vicoden.

I used a transplant to make my hair better quality, I didn't need a tranplant, but I like a full thick head of hair. I'm not saying get a transplant if you're not bald, I'm saying if you go to the right doctor, the results can be amazing. No shock loss, 1 day of discomfort, 90% of the results in about 1 year, and I did it twice!

My advice is to find the right doctor (one from the IAHRS) and check out all options. My hair is super thick and will just get better! I was supposed to be bald 10 years ago! Propecia and the transplants improved my look, and I had no problems. In the end, as a patient, you need to make an informed decision, but there are good doctors out there who get amazing results.

Thumbs up Looking Good Joe!

Hey Joe,
    You should definitely link to your Youtube page to show off your results. You're looking good my man! Dr. Bauman should hire you to stand outside of his office wearing a sandwich board with before and after shots on it.

Smile Good hair....this way

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Hey Joe,
    You should definitely link to your Youtube page to show off your results. You're looking good my man! Dr. Bauman should hire you to stand outside of his office wearing a sandwich board with before and after shots on it.
    Thanks. I'd do that. Hang outside Dr. Bauman's in South Florida on the water and say "You want hair like this? Do ya?"

Also, for viewers, here is my Youtube video just using Propecia, no transplant at the time of this video:

Last edited by JustJoe; 11-01-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: embed video

Thumbs up I love the video...I think it says it all!

It's so important for people to fully understand the importance of compliance. They have to stick with the medication for at least a year in order to assess their results. Even those who don't see the significant regrowth that you've achieved, should understand that Propecia can still be doing it's job at reversing the miniaturization process and slowing the progression of their hair loss.

Smile Results as of 11/3/08

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    It's so important for people to fully understand the importance of compliance. They have to stick with the medication for at least a year in order to assess their results. Even those who don't see the significant regrowth that you've achieved, should understand that Propecia can still be doing it's job at reversing the miniaturization process and slowing the progression of their hair loss.
    True. Very True. Here are my results after ~2300 grafts. I have another 2500 that are 2 weeks old, which should be in visible in the growth phase by Feburary 09. There is hope people, I should be bald by now! Propecia allowed me to keep most of my hair and the transplants made it thicker.

Frontal View:

Side View:

- Work by Dr. Alan Bauman, Boco Raton, Florida.

(PS: I do not work for, nor am I paid Dr. Bauman.)
    Last edited by JustJoe; 11-03-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Embeded Image

Default Lookin' good Joe!

Joe -- looks awesome! In a few months, when I reach 1 full year post-op, I'll put up some of my pictures. I had 1,661 grafts by Doctor McAndrews, and plan to do another one with him for more density and fullness.

But you're lookin' good!

TeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Joe -- looks awesome! In a few months, when I reach 1 full year post-op, I'll put up some of my pictures. I had 1,661 grafts by Doctor McAndrews, and plan to do another one with him for more density and fullness.

But you're lookin' good!

TeeJay
    Thanks. Just curious, why only 1661? Cost issue or donor issue?

Smile Nice Hair!

Dude, your hair looks so healthy and full! Good for you.

Neither actually. Doctor McAndrews takes a conservative approach and will transplant only 20% density in a single session. For my head, 20% density equates to 1,661 grafts. All grafts were placed in the front/top region. Doctor McAndrews' philosophy is to be conservative, for several reasons, including the fact that hair banks (donor areas) are all that balding men have to work with if they are seeking a hair transplant. So, he moves conservatively, in 20% density increments.

TeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Neither actually. Doctor McAndrews takes a conservative approach and will transplant only 20% density in a single session. For my head, 20% density equates to 1,661 grafts. All grafts were placed in the front/top region. Doctor McAndrews' philosophy is to be conservative, for several reasons, including the fact that hair banks (donor areas) are all that balding men have to work with if they are seeking a hair transplant. So, he moves conservatively, in 20% density increments.

TeeJay
    I see. Some doctors are the opposite, they want at least 2500-3000 per session. Either way, I'm sure you'll get good results!