+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default stress triggered hairloss

hey, i am 20 years old and since january my hair has slowly been thinning at the crown and top of my head. my grandfather on my moms side is bald, he started losing/thinning hair at a young age during WWII and I am starting to think stress triggered it as it did for me. my father is 55 and has a more mature hairline then most however still has a nice head of hair...i know he is never ever stressed about ANYTHING also.

Now for me personally i was so stressed due to variety of personal issues last year in september 2010 until august of this year and i strongly believe it might have been the main factor in my problem. when i began to notice my thinning in jan/feb of this year it added a whole new dimension to my stress levels. however in the last few months i am legit not stressed anymore (about hair and life in general) and am not thinning as fast as before when i started out.

i just feel like there are so many things to look forward too that we do not have to worry. treatments will only be getting better and better in the future. Therefore i do not think we should stress over hair as much as we do and especially do not stress in general because it is terrible for our head and hair.

also think of it this way, i am 20 YEARS OLD with thinning hair, a lot of you are much older then me and are having problems, think of how I feel or even the members younger then me. If i was 30 and started losing hair i would laugh and be thankful i made it that long! Either way lets just wait for replicel haha

I'm sick and tired of people repeating BS like if you're older (30s or 40's...) and just starting to lose your hair you should be thankful and happy...blah blah blah. That's just a total load of crap. I'm also sick and tired of people saying that if you're older you shouldn't be bothered by hair loss like someone who's younger. That too is a load of crap. I don't know why people think it's all about age. Well, maybe if you're 70 it's not that much of a big deal. What people need to realize is that you do NOT feel what's already in the past but you DO feel the present and worry about the future. What I mean is that if someone is 35 years old and he had a full head of hair in his 20's but is losing his hair now, he's not going to actually be all happy about the fact that he HAD all of his hair 10 or 15 years ago. That's something in the past that he can't feel but he WILL feel the depression and sadness for losing his hair now and he WILL worry about the future and further loss-assuming that he's someone who's bothered by hair loss.
    This is like telling someone who has a toothache -for example- to not complain or be bothered by the pain because his tooth didn't give him any problems 10 years ago. You don't really expect him to say oh yeah you're right and I'm not going to complain now because my tooth was pain free 10 years ago.
    What people also need to realize is that for some of us the thought of losing our hair at any age is just unbearable and they refuse to part with their hair. To them, hair is just like any other part of the body and also a part of their identity. Do you think losing a hand or even a finger is any easier when you're 50 or 60 than if you were 20 ? I don't think so and please don't tell me hair is different because it's NOT. I think it's a fact that some people have had their whole lives ruined because of their hair loss. You can tell me they allowed it to ruin their lives and all the crap that people say but at the end of day the fact remains that such people exist and their lives are completely destroyed. Take a listen to Spencer's show and listen to that Joe guy (Joe from Staten Island). To me, hair loss IS a disfigurement and I WILL refuse to live with it even if I were 80, and if there's no cure by that time then I'll wear a hat to my grave. I will NEVER be seen bald/ing regardless of my age. Ever seen the Italian prime minister (Silvio Berlusconi) ? The guy had an HT when he was close to 70. I've seen other men who were well into their 60's who decided to get HTs. Just last week I was walking down the street and saw a couple and I swear the husband looked like he was in his late 80's and could barely walk and he was wearing a hairpiece. Spencer himself a few weeks ago said he'd glue a hairpiece on his head if his hair loss got worse, and he's like 46, has a wife or a gf and has money..., things that people usually say would make them less concerned about their hair loss.
    I don't think age is the only factor that determines how a sufferer will -or should- feel about his/her hair loss.

Another thing that I find funny is statements like "if I keep my hair till I'm 30 or 40 I wouldn't care if I start losing it after....." and similar statement. I mean how do you know you that ? What if you become even more concerned with it? It is possible, you know. We're all different and some of us are lucky enough to just not care about their hair loss regardless of their age.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I'm sick and tired of people repeating BS like if you're older (30s or 40's...) and just starting to lose your hair you should be thankful and happy...blah blah blah. That's just a total load of crap. I'm also sick and tired of people saying that if you're older you shouldn't be bothered by hair loss like someone who's younger. That too is a load of crap. I don't know why people think it's all about age. Well, maybe if you're 70 it's not that much of a big deal. What people need to realize is that you do NOT feel what's already in the past but you DO feel the present and worry about the future. What I mean is that if someone is 35 years old and he had a full head of hair in his 20's but is losing his hair now, he's not going to actually be all happy about the fact that he HAD all of his hair 10 or 15 years ago. That's something in the past that he can't feel but he WILL feel the depression and sadness for losing his hair now and he WILL worry about the future and further loss-assuming that he's someone who's bothered by hair loss.
    This is like telling someone who has a toothache -for example- to not complain or be bothered by the pain because his tooth didn't give him any problems 10 years ago. You don't really expect him to say oh yeah you're right and I'm not going to complain now because my tooth was pain free 10 years ago.
    What people also need to realize is that for some of us the thought of losing our hair at any age is just unbearable and they refuse to part with their hair. To them, hair is just like any other part of the body and also a part of their identity. Do you think losing a hand or even a finger is any easier when you're 50 or 60 than if you were 20 ? I don't think so and please don't tell me hair is different because it's NOT. I think it's a fact that some people have had their whole lives ruined because of their hair loss. You can tell me they allowed it to ruin their lives and all the crap that people say but at the end of day the fact remains that such people exist and their lives are completely destroyed. Take a listen to Spencer's show and listen to that Joe guy (Joe from Staten Island). To me, hair loss IS a disfigurement and I WILL refuse to live with it even if I were 80, and if there's no cure by that time then I'll wear a hat to my grave. I will NEVER be seen bald/ing regardless of my age. Ever seen the Italian prime minister (Silvio Berlusconi) ? The guy had an HT when he was close to 70. I've seen other men who were well into their 60's who decided to get HTs. Just last week I was walking down the street and saw a couple and I swear the husband looked like he was in his late 80's and could barely walk and he was wearing a hairpiece. Spencer himself a few weeks ago said he'd glue a hairpiece on his head if his hair loss got worse, and he's like 46, has a wife or a gf and has money..., things that people usually say would make them less concerned about their hair loss.
    I don't think age is the only factor that determines how a sufferer will -or should- feel about his/her hair loss.

Another thing that I find funny is statements like "if I keep my hair till I'm 30 or 40 I wouldn't care if I start losing it after....." and similar statement. I mean how do you know you that ? What if you become even more concerned with it? It is possible, you know. We're all different and some of us are lucky enough to just not care about their hair loss regardless of their age.
    The point of my post was not supposed to let older members know how lucky they are so I dont know why your so upset about it. And your ignorant if you think there is no difference at losing hair in your late teens compared to losing it in your 30s-40s. What happens in first year University when your trying to party meet new people and your the only one with your scalp showing? Also, I never said anywhere that losing your hair at an older age shouldnt be bad, obviously it would still suck, I just said for those older members who are experiencing MPB to BE THANKFUL YOU DIDNT START GOING BALD IN YOUR LATE TEENS EARLY TWENTIES. Everybody IS different how do you know I won't care about my hair when Im 30 or 40? Didnt know we personally knew each other so don't assume things.

You're not that bright, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    You're not that bright, are you?
    Nice comeback

sorry victim, I'm with goldbond on this one, 100%.

much worse to be dealing with mpb among a younger age bracket, especially first year uni. not saying it isn't difficult losing hair at any point during your life, just saying it would be significantly less traumatizing comparatively.

goldbondmafia, I'm with you too...

A day later, is another day gained!!!

So instead of losing hair at 20, if you lost at 30, that is 10 years of your life!! If given a choice its obvious you'd choose the former!

20 or 30 or 70 or 80, is just a threshold, and for goldbondmafia he's set that threshold as 30 for HIMSELF.. no point of getting offended for such trivial issues!

@goldbondmafia, stress or real MPB, you gotta consult a doctor. Stress could have pretty much been the issue, and trust me I was stressed big time for atleast 5 years(sleeping just 4 to 5 hrs a day) due to study and work related pressures! That never caused me to shed hair. What I have is MPB inherited from my mom's genes.... give it 2 - 3 months time, and if it continues its more likely gonna be MPB!

For the benefit of everyone reading this thread, stress, lack of sleep and poor nutrition can all trigger hair loss, even if the gene does not run very strong in your family. However if the hair loss gene does run strongly in your family, these things are even more likely to trigger hair loss into action. Once triggered it is very difficult to stop it, especially if you are stressing out over hair loss.

Huh! You're like the guy here who said ugly people shouldn't care about losing their hair because they're ugly anyways (with or without hair). In his opinion only good looking people should be worried about their hair loss.

Hair loss is an illness that can **** you up psychologically. I don't see the difference between a 20 y.o. being depressed and a 30 or 40 y.o. We're all affected differently by our hair loss regardless of our age. Some 20 y.o's handle their hair loss better than 50 y.o's. I can say I've seen more older people at the HT clinic than I've seen younger ones. Does that prove anything to you?
    If you think you won't be too concerned about your hair loss once you're 30 don't expect every one else to feel the same way. It would be a stupid thing to expect every one else to feel exactly like you THINK you WILL feel about something in the future. The other absurd thing is I still don't know how you can sit here and tell me how you're going to feel about your hair loss 10 or 15 years from now, unless you have the ability to know the unknown.

Another thing, it seems most young men think about one thing when it comes to hair loss - less hair means less women, and less women means less fun especially at the age when they think it's all about having fun with as many women as they can get. And that's why these men think it would be ok to lose hair at a later age -after they're done "having fun". In reality, hair isn't just about getting the women. We all know men with full heads of hair are viewed more favorably. Even in politics men with hair seem to get the votes. It's been talked about on CNN and other networks more than once. Do your research and you'll see what I'm talking about.