+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Propecia and erectile dysfunction

Next week I'm going to buying the "Big 3" online. However, I've been reading up some stuff and comments about propecia and it's sexual side effects. Is there any basis in the claim that propecia can cause erectile dysfunction? If so would it be a common occurrence and would it be temporary or permanent?

Literature suggests side effects are rare and seldom permanent. If you scour the internet, you'll certainly find people who say they suffered horrible sides ranging from depression to loss of libido to brain fog.

There's plenty of guys on this site that say things like that. They'd be more convincing if their claims weren't coupled with irrational blabber.

Whether you'd rather base your decision on empirical evidence or anecdotal evidence is up to you.

At 1 month in, my only regret is that I over thought it and let the negative people deter me from starting 3-4 months ago.

Contentious topic of debate that's raging not just on this forum, but in court rooms all around the world.

Tough to know who or what to believe anymore, and I'm speaking as someone with long term sides.

I can summarise it easily for you though:

Can Propecia cause sexual side effects? Yes
    Can side effects become long term? Yes

The exact number affected is in my opinion as unknown as why these side effects occur and how to fix them. Don't trust anyone who suggests otherwise.

Inevitably anecdotes feature strongly in discussions like this. Those who have no sides believe the drug is almost entirely safe, and sometimes accuse those who suffer side effects of exaggerating or suffering a placebo or psychological phenomenon. Ask those people where they got their medical degree. There are crazies on the other end of the spectrum too, and I'm not sure whether it's sheer anger or frustration that fuels them.

Just be cautious.

Firstly, Its worth stating that It is certainly a possibility. However Studies generally suggest most don't suffer from libido issues.

Though I certainly wouldn't claim 100% accuracy, my understanding is Finasteride raises T levels because it causes a blockade of sorts of the 5a-reductase enzyme (DHT conversion which helps cause hair loss)

This however will raise your estrogen level because of higher T levels, and reduced conversion to DHT. The effects of raised Estrogen are the things you've likely read about such as reduced sex drive, emotional issues (Depression etc) and gyno.

Now, as I said the chances of having these problems are slim. If they happened too often then I presume it simply wouldn't be on the market due to overwhelming negative reaction. It's also a treatment for prostate enlargement, which is very common, so doctors working within this area would know and surely report strong negative reaction.

Whether side effects would be permanent I'm afraid is just another gamble. Again, studies suggest its less likely to be permanent, but I'm currently tapering off the drug and praying my libido returns to normal. I can tell you even a scare does give you some perspective on hairloss.

It's down to you to be sensible. Stick to a recommended dose, and be mindful of your body. You may have a short term symptom or two early on such as a hair shed or uncomfortable testicles. They seem to pass generally quickly. Beyond that, like Chrisis said, you just have to be careful.

Ok, I'm giving this some thought. I am still buying the big 3, however would Rograine and Nizoral prevent further balding by themselves, or would propecia be a necessity in maintaining my hair/ hairline?

None of them will retain your hairline. Rogaine might thicken it up abit for a year then will shed out... propecia will keep your crown. Lookout for the puffy face on rogaine, that ones worse than hairloss.

Quote Originally Posted by pafc66 View Post
    None of them will retain your hairline. Rogaine might thicken it up abit for a year then will shed out... propecia will keep your crown. Lookout for the puffy face on rogaine, that ones worse than hairloss.
    I thought they did, a few on here have mentioned the big 3 for maintaining hair and hairlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I thought they did, a few on here have mentioned the big 3 for maintaining hair and hairlines.
    Doubt it does much..most likely genetics that keeps there hairline..

Getting back to a question there from a few posts back - what would rograine and Nizoral do by themselves, would they still yield good results, or would they not be effective on their own?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    Getting back to a question there from a few posts back - what would rograine and Nizoral do by themselves, would they still yield good results, or would they not be effective on their own?
    There are no simple answers to questions like this, it depends on many factors. Each person's situation is different, in terms of where their hair loss is at, and how well they respond to the treatments available. You can only try various things based on a benefit/risk evaluation and see how you fare.