No Bald Ken Dolls? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default No Bald Ken Dolls?

Mattel has recently launched a new line of Ken dolls, featuring three body types and 9 hairstyles--including a man bun. But I can't find a bald Ken doll. A somewhat fat/dad bod Ken doll, but no bald Ken doll--I wonder why not?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ken-...ttel-1.4168880

Doctor Representative

There's two possible explanations that come to my mind-

1: Nobody talks about self-confidence issues when it comes to balding. People everywhere talk about feeling comfortable with your weight, body shape, etc. but rarely do you see people in media talking about feeling good about yourself despite balding. It's just not in the spotlight (from what I've seen anyways) so maybe they didn't think to or want to include it.

2: I assume Ken is meant to be about 20, and at that point virtually no men are totally bald. Thinning sure, but bald, probably not. Lots of 20 year olds have dad bods, man buns, etc., but a bald head is incredibly rare on someone so young. They could just be playing to the more common body issues people of that age face?

Either way though, it would've been cool to see a bald (or thinning) Ken doll. Even one with a totally shaved head would've been nice.
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kneeland View Post
    There's two possible explanations that come to my mind-

1: Nobody talks about self-confidence issues when it comes to balding. People everywhere talk about feeling comfortable with your weight, body shape, etc. but rarely do you see people in media talking about feeling good about yourself despite balding. It's just not in the spotlight (from what I've seen anyways) so maybe they didn't think to or want to include it.

2: I assume Ken is meant to be about 20, and at that point virtually no men are totally bald. Thinning sure, but bald, probably not. Lots of 20 year olds have dad bods, man buns, etc., but a bald head is incredibly rare on someone so young. They could just be playing to the more common body issues people of that age face?

Either way though, it would've been cool to see a bald (or thinning) Ken doll. Even one with a totally shaved head would've been nice.
    The thing that drives me crazy about people is friends, including girlfriends, and family have lectured me through the years that hair loss is trivial and that it doesn't matter. Then when any of them lose their own hair, it affects them as bad and often worse than it's affected me. I remember one female friend who started to lose her hair in her 30s because of some medication she was on for some kind of female trouble. She became obsessed and constantly talked about it and worried over it. I had another friend who started developing a bald spot in the back of his head when he was in his mid 40s. It drove him crazy, and I thought how I wish I had had as much hair in my 20's as this fool has in his 40s.
    When I was in my 20's and sick of my combover, I told a female relative that I was planning to get a hair piece. She tried to talk me out of it, swearing it didn't matter, etc. Well, I went out and got hairpieces (2 at a thousand dollars each almost forty years ago). This female relative was shocked at how much better I looked with the hairpiece. (It really did look great--fresh from the salon. I destroyed it in one weekend, and I even went easy on it).
    People just plain don't think and just parrot what myths they've been told over and over throughout life.
    And when it comes to women, everything matters. It's what you got to offer, and what she's got to offer and whether either of you have a chance at a better option. All that talk about "soul mates" and how "love is forever" is just crap. The reality is if you lose enough of what you have to offer (power, looks, hair, health, whatever) and the girl still has enough going for her that she can do better than sticking around what's left of you, she will either cheat or leave you and more likely both. Of course if the girl has aged while you deteriorated, then she has fewer options and will likely stay with you, calling it "love."

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    Mattel has recently launched a new line of Ken dolls, featuring three body types and 9 hairstyles--including a man bun. But I can't find a bald Ken doll. A somewhat fat/dad bod Ken doll, but no bald Ken doll--I wonder why not?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ken-...ttel-1.4168880
    wow I haven't seen barbie dolls for the last 15 years. some substantial improvements, though bald Ken is a big miss. Many guys shave their heads anyway, why didn't they think about that?