+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prom

Default Prom

Should I go to my senior Prom? I don't really want to...

As in, will I care if I went ten years from now? Or is all the hype, just hype?

The only reason I even went was because a girl out of my league randomly asked me last second (last resort probably, haha).

As soon as you leave high school and move away to go to college, everyone will be so excited to "grow up" that talking about anything high school related is practically faux pas. I've talked about prom maybe twice in the last 7 years, and for a duration of about 3 seconds.

If you do have a girl to go with and you're interested in her, I'd say do it though. It can be fun, and if you like the girl, prom is setting you up for fun.

Inactive

One of my biggest regrets is not going but I was an antisocial fat-ass that had yet to become attractive. I could just be talking nonsense but it is sort of a milestone in a lot of Americans' lives and I just feel like I missed out on something that shapes you and it will forever doom me to be "different" or bitter. I feel the same way about my relative inexperience in the sexual realm. No matter how hot of a partner I can get, they will probably always have more experience than me and I will hate them for it.

Sorry for the ramble, just ****ing go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    it is sort of a milestone in a lot of Americans' lives and I just feel like I missed out on something that shapes you and it will forever doom me to be "different" or bitter
    I don't think the prom is in and of itself is a milestone. It's just an event (excuse) to get dressed up, get under-age drunk on a party bus, and dance with a girl(s). Sure, when you're 18 those things are pretty special. But, I don't feel it shaped me other than giving me a memory and a couple pictures.

I've never been part of a conversation with non-highschool classmates and been asked if I went to prom or not, or had any discussion regarding it. Only when I'm back at my hometown for holiday, has a conversation drifted that way (like twice, maybe). It will only haunt you internally, if you let it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    they will probably always have more experience than me and I will hate them for it.
    Can't have that mindset, my friend. It'll perpetuate the root cause, and you'll be forever in catch-up.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I don't think the prom is in and of itself is a milestone. It's just an event (excuse) to get dressed up, get under-age drunk on a party bus, and dance with a girl(s). Sure, when you're 18 those things are pretty special. But, I don't feel it shaped me other than giving me a memory and a couple pictures.

I've never been part of a conversation with non-highschool classmates and been asked if I went to prom or not, or had any discussion regarding it. Only when I'm back at my hometown for holiday, has a conversation drifted that way (like twice, maybe). It will only haunt you internally, if you let it.

Can't have that mindset, my friend. It'll perpetuate the root cause, and you'll be forever in catch-up.
    Yeah, I'm sure I'm overstating the importance but I always magnify my faults and regrets. I know I need to rid myself of this mindset but it is very difficult.

Honestly OP, if there's a girl that you want to go with; just do it. You'll never have another chance.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

I didn't go to mine and don't regret it. After looking back, it wouldn't have made a difference if I went or not. I don't really care about it. Instead of going to prom though, me and 5 others went to play pool and we had a few 24s of beers in the trunk, drank in the park after and smashed bottles everywhere. But I'm not saying don't go, if you have a date, then by all means, go a have fun. It all depends who you know and what you wanna do at that time.

At the same time, I'm not a person who celebrates shit either. I just see a holiday as another day off from schoool or work. My gf hates me for that cause I don't really do presents or birthdays. I really couldn't bother with such useless events. I rather spend my time drinking or just chilling with my buddies and doing stupid things. Don't do nothing and stay home if you feel like you're gona regret it. It's all about what matters to you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    smashed bottles everywhere..
    Were you a bottle kid growing up??

(Only because you're Canadian did I find this gif to be appropriate).
    ((P.S. New TPB movie being filmed as we speak!))

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Were you a bottle kid growing up??

(Only because you're Canadian did I find this gif to be appropriate).
    ((P.S. New TPB movie being filmed as we speak!))
    Ahaha. I wasn't bottled. I was out at the park everyday looking for kids to play tag with. But I think the main reason was because at that time and age all my buddies had access to things that a lot of other people didn't and shared em with me so I thought I could do anything I wanted. I was a fking brat. We driving around in gr. 10 and pranked of people all the time. Did this til gr. 12. And then I ended up doin a victory lap and realize wtf am I doing with my life when I was hanging around people younger than me. The gif made me chuckle btw. Love that shit.

You're supposed to be a bratty, obnoxious, pranking prick in your teens though, man. I sometimes wish I still had that zest. I'm so burnt out on school and work that all I want to do is smoke green, have a few beers, play guitar, and get to bed early on Friday nights, so I can wake up early, make coffee, and be back on campus by 9 am. Maybe.. maybe, I'll go out once every other Saturday. Getting old sucks. I keep telling myself I'll have my zest back once I get my diploma -- I'll have money and time.. hopefully hair too.