+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Self help Vs Hair clinic

Hi all,

Is there any difference between paying a hair clinic to treat vs me using there recommendtions and just purchasing what they have advised?

They have advised to use propecia which I was fine with until I read this forum and now I am shit scared of using this and hoping maybe I could drop this option and just use the other treatments they have recommended??

There is no way I am going to risk loosing my sex life for a possible chance of regrowing hair, I've done that before with an anxiety drug my GP prescribed me as I started to pull out my hair strand by strand for no reason at all and it never grew back. I just cannot put up with ejaculation issues and erection problems as I have never fully recovered from the last time this got messed up.

Does it make a difference to my treatment the fact that my hair is not falling out but instead being self inflicted?? I tried that regain but didnt see much improvement.

This is what has been recommended:

The medication recommended for your condition is Propecia (once a day tablet) as well as Minoxidil in, a 5% + Medroxyprogesterone topical treatment (twice daily) or Minoxidil 12.5% +Azelaic Acid all of which are MHRA and FDA approved. The strength of Minoxidil is dependent on your severity and problem area, Minoxidil 12.5% +AA is for higher severity or difficult areas such as the hair line and the Minoxidil 5% +MPG is for wider areas, thinning of the hair or early deterioration.

Since you have described your hair loss as on the top and sides with deterioration between 2- 5 years I would give a preliminary recommendation of Propecia and Minoxidil 5% + MPG, this is due to your hair loss being located in a wider area which is easily catered for using the Minoxidil 5% liquid solution. This will be confirmed however upon starting your treatment to ensure the most effective treatment is undergone.

You are afraid to take Propecia but Medroxyprogesterone doesn't scare you away? You have a lot of learning to do.

Book an appointment with an IAHRS member doctor. Stay away from these shady "clinics".

Haha yes I know I do thats why I am here

Why is there a combination of drugs used and not just one

Quote Originally Posted by chattabob View Post
    Why is there a combination of drugs used and not just one
    Hereditary hair loss is a very difficult problem to treat. In general it is best to try to tackle the problem through both paths. Block the production or reception of the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss and stimulate the hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair.

The single most important medication to treat hereditary hair loss in males is Propecia (or generic Finasteride) because it blocks the formation of the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. However, Finasteride does not stimulate hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. It simply "allows" hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair - but it does nothing to block the production of the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. So you see, it is best to use both Propecia and Rogaine.

Those specialty blends of Minoxidil available at some "clinics" and certain on-line "providers" are generally no better than the generic 5% Minoxidil you can buy at your local pharmacy. Sometimes those "extra ingredients" in specialty blends can do more harm than good - so it is best to stay away from them.

Many, including me, also use a Ketoconazole shampoo such as Nizoral or Nizoral A-D once or twice per week. This is an adjunct treatment and not a stand alone treatment. Ketoconazole is a mild anti-androgen that can block DHT reception at the scalp.

I also use a laser comb every other day. The laser comb increases the caliber of the hair that you have, it increases the strength of the hair that you have, it improves the quality of the hair that you have and it makes your hair grow faster. These effects combined make your hair look fuller and more youthful. These same effects work on the hair that grows back from using Minoxidil. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone - but it has been working for me so I mention it.

Another option that may be available to you is to use a concealer such as Dermmatch. Concealers are great if you have enough hair for them to work for you. Concealers not only conceal your hair loss - but they also conceal the fact that you are treating your hair loss. I find that a very important benefit of using concealer is to prevent sunburn on my scalp. I have learned that Dermmatch does this very well.

Some people prefer to use only one treatment and some people are fine on only one treatment. It is really up to you and what you want to do. I needed to tackle the problem with everything available to me because I really don't want to be a bald lady.

Ahhh Thanks thats much clearer now As my hair loss is not hereditary is it worth taking propecia and the other tablet? or could I just use minoxidil to stimulate hari growth? In the meantime I am looking at using caboki as a consealer until I've done all my reasearch on treatment options (Which by the looks of it will take some time)

Hello,

Propecia, Rogaine and the laser comb are for treating common hereditary hair loss. If your hair loss is not common hereditary male pattern baldness, you need to consult a doctor to try to determine the actual type of hair loss you have and what can be done to treat it. Hair "clinics" are not the place to go if you know your hair loss is not common hereditary male pattern baldness.

Happy Easter,

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Hello,

Propecia, Rogaine and the laser comb are for treating common hereditary hair loss. If your hair loss is not common hereditary male pattern baldness, you need to consult a doctor to try to determine the actual type of hair loss you have and what can be done to treat it. Hair "clinics" are not the place to go if you know your hair loss is not common hereditary male pattern baldness.

Happy Easter,

Tracy
    It was caused by dumb ass me im afraid pulling a few hairs and and not realising that I was doing it.... Regardless though would the treatment not be the same anyway?

Hi all,

Is there any difference between paying a hair clinic to treat vs me using there recommendtions and just purchasing what they have advised?

They have advised to use propecia which I was fine with until I read this forum and now I am shit scared of using this and hoping maybe I could drop this option and just use the other treatments they have recommended??

There is no way I am going to risk loosing my sex life for a possible chance of regrowing hair, I've done that before with an anxiety drug my GP prescribed me as I started to pull out my hair strand by strand for no reason at all and it never grew back. I just cannot put up with ejaculation issues and erection problems as I have never fully recovered from the last time this got messed up.

Does it make a difference to my treatment the fact that my hair is not falling out but instead being self inflicted?? I tried that regain but didnt see much improvement.

This is what has been recommended:

The medication recommended for your condition is Propecia (once a day tablet) as well as Minoxidil in, a 5% + Medroxyprogesterone topical treatment (twice daily) or Minoxidil 12.5% +Azelaic Acid all of which are MHRA and FDA approved. The strength of Minoxidil is dependent on your severity and problem area, Minoxidil 12.5% +AA is for higher severity or difficult areas such as the hair line and the Minoxidil 5% +MPG is for wider areas, thinning of the hair or early deterioration.

Since you have described your hair loss as on the top and sides with deterioration between 2- 5 years I would give a preliminary recommendation of Propecia and Minoxidil 5% + MPG, this is due to your hair loss being located in a wider area which is easily catered for using the Minoxidil 5% liquid solution. This will be confirmed however upon starting your treatment to ensure the most effective treatment is undergone.
    Is this clinic the belgravia centre?

It was caused by dumb ass me im afraid pulling a few hairs and and not realising that I was doing it.... Regardless though would the treatment not be the same anyway?
    That sounds like traction alopecia. You need to sit down and have a talk with a doctor about it to try to assess how much damage you have caused. Those lost hairs might come back after a few years if you leave them alone - but they might not. As far as I know, there is no medicine that can help reverse that kind of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Is this clinic the belgravia centre?
    Yup it was