+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Hi Tracy,

Sorry.. I should have been clearer. In addition to the receding hairline, I am seeing noticeably thinner hair in the mid-anterior and vertex. I also have a family history of MPB (my dad lost a lot of his hair in his mid-twenties, and both my grandfathers were bald by their 50s).

My dermatologist recommended Propecia, but the name brand pills were outrageously expensive. I'm not sure if she'll prescribe me finasteride 5mg to split into 4 pills, but I will ask her this week.

I guess my question should have been: is there anything I can do in addition to the finasteride and minoxidil about the receding hairline, or is it just something I should expect as I age? It looks weird to me having bangs in the middle of my forehead but shorter to nonexistent ones on the sides.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by naveehgreen View Post
    I guess my question should have been: is there anything I can do in addition to the finasteride and minoxidil about the receding hairline, or is it just something I should expect as I age?
    Again, short of castration, I do not believe there is anything a male can do to prevent developing an adult mature male hairline. This is something that isn't really a problem for a male - because it is a typical male trait - but it would be a problem for a female.

Since you say you do have thinning in your vertex and mid-anterior - and you have a family history of baldness, focus your application of Minoxidil on your vertex and mid-anterior. You can dry the medicine off your fingertips in your temples if you want to - just in case it might make a difference - but don't expect it to.

When you start using Minoxidil, taper up to the full twice a day dose over time. Start with the foam and use it once a day every other day about two hours before your bedtime. After two to four weeks of that, use it once a day every day. After two to four weeks of that, start using it twice a day every other day and once a day every other day. Then finally after two to four weeks of that, start using it twice a day every day. Once you are up to the full twice a day dose, you can save money by using generic liquid Minoxidil for your evening dose. If for any reason you decide to stop using Minoxidil, taper off of it the same way in reverse.

Once you start seeing hair grow from using Minoxidil, it will look like peach fuzz in the begining, consider getting a laser comb and use it every other day.

It looks weird to me having bangs in the middle of my forehead but shorter to nonexistent ones on the sides.
    That is actually normal for an adult male. There is nothing weird about it at all. Now if you were female, it would be a different story.

Thanks for your help, Tracy. I called my dermatologist today to ask for a prescription for generic finasteride, and her office said they don't prescribe that for MPB. Should the next step be to just start calling derm offices asking if they prescribe generic finasteride for MPB? Otherwise, I was thinking I could order it online.

I called about three more offices in my area, and all of them said they refuse to prescribe generic Proscar (Finasteride 5mg) for MPB.

I am guessing that you would need to talk to the doctor directly.

I called about three more offices in my area, and all of them said they refuse to prescribe generic Proscar (Finasteride 5mg) for MPB.
    buy it online then.... why do you people even bother with doctors? They don't know shit. 15 minutes on the Internet and you will know more about that subject than your doctor....

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    buy it online then.... why do you people even bother with doctors?
    I don't think I could trust buying prescriptions meds from the on-line grey market. I know I would never feel right about recommending it to anyone.

I just called the office again and asked to speak with my dermatologist. She said she "doesn't play those games" when I asked her if I could take the 5mg finasteride and cut it into four. The other dermatologists I called said it was illegal for them to prescribe me the 5mg pill and have me cut it into four because the dosage will be uneven.